PathPilot 2.0 upgrade - stuck on "Initializing Graphics Subsystem"

Thread: PathPilot 2.0 upgrade - stuck on "Initializing Graphics Subsystem"

Default PathPilot 2.0 upgrade - stuck on "Initializing Graphics Subsystem"

Tried searching and didn't find anyone talking about this issue.

I have my own controller (a Dell PC) running the latest v1.9 software. Finally went and got the USB stick to upgrade to 2.0 However, when I boot from the stick, no matter which of the 4 options I choose, the startup gets stuck on "Initializing graphics subsystem". Not really sure where to go from here. I'll submit a ticket with Tormach but wanted to see if anyone had experienced this.

PathPilot 2.0 upgrade - stuck on "Initializing Graphics Subsystem"-img_0422-jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PathPilot 2.0 upgrade - stuck on "Initializing Graphics Subsystem"

Quote Originally Posted by hybridmojo View Post
    Tried searching and didn't find anyone talking about this issue.

I have my own controller (a Dell PC) running the latest v1.9 software. Finally went and got the USB stick to upgrade to 2.0 However, when I boot from the stick, no matter which of the 4 options I choose, the startup gets stuck on "Initializing graphics subsystem". Not really sure where to go from here. I'll submit a ticket with Tormach but wanted to see if anyone had experienced this.
    What model Dell? Can you get to the GRUB menu? (hold down shift while booting0

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    What model Dell? Can you get to the GRUB menu? (hold down shift while booting0
    Darn it the forum threw away my post.

Machine is actually an HP dc5700 SFF. Forgot the original Dell died.

Tormach support told me to turn off fast boot. As expected, this did nothing.

I'm able to boot off the USB stick, it just the kernel never seems to load. I tried mucking around the options in the .cfg file on the stick and I got it to switch to various display resolutions but none of that makes it get past "initializing graphics subsystem". There's a handful of drivers it loads but I don't know in which one the video drivers are.

I did get into grub once but it's not clear to me if that's on the HDD or the 2.0 upgrade USB stick. I chose recovery mode from the GRUB options and all it did was run fsck. It has been many moons since I messed around with Linux.

It would be nice if there was some way to enable debug output on this loading process instead of just those progress periods that are currently displayed.

EDIT: i realize adding "debug" to the boot line gives more info. Except unfortunately it doesn't look useful.
    Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver
    i8042: PNP: PS/2 Controller ...
    so on

The only graphics related debug message is "cpufreq_nforce2: No nForce2 chipset"

Then the dreaded Initializing graphics subsystem with nothing but a bunch of periods.

I was wondering if it hangs at this point or just doesn't output anything, so I pressed CTRL-C and got a kernel panic.

Hardware name: Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq dc5700 SFF/0A60h, BIOS 786E2 v02.04 4/13/2007
    Then call trace and some other stuff in hex.

At this point I've invested a couple hundred bucks of billable time troubleshooting a worthless SFF PC and I'm open to suggestions on generally available machines that DO work. I think I have an Optiplex 790 in a closet but I need to check if the Mesa card fits.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is the controller 64 bit,I believe from PP 2.0 onward this is required.

Quote Originally Posted by ally-g View Post
    Is the controller 64 bit,I believe from PP 2.0 onward this is required.
    I believe that all Core 2 Duos are 64 bit. However isolinux appears to be loading a 32 bit kernel. But I presume that's just the installer.

I have a newer SFF running my laser cutter and one 3d printer, I may try installing it on a fresh drive there and if that works, swapping the driver over and seeing if it runs.