Newer computer for a series 3 1100 - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newer computer for a series 3 1100

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newer computer for a series 3 1100

A bit of an update: Dell 7010/128 gb ssd, and a 7i92 mesa card, PP loaded.
    On bootup it is quick!
    It gives me an error that it isnt communicating with the mesa card.
    I have the mesa card connected to the computer but not plugged into the machine parallel cable, could this be the reason for the error?

I am not much of a computer guy so any bit of guidance is appreciated!
    thanks

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    New brix puters sold as new PP controls are also very slow to boot and have some lag I have noticed.
    They are fan less so they are kind of dustless.
    the 7010 dell has a muffin fan on the power supply and a small liquid cooled setup with a small centrifugal blower on the processor.

I am using one of them with windows 10 and it hasnt gotten warm enough for either fan to come on.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

The parallel cable doesn't need to be connected for the card to be recognized. However, you do have to provide a power supply for the 7i92 (5 volts). You need to connect the parallel cable (or add a jumper) to exit eStop.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    On bootup it is quick!
    I have the mesa card connected to the computer but not plugged into the machine parallel cable, could this be the reason for the error?

thanks
    The 7i92 requires +5v power source. I am using a 5v Meanwell Din mount power supply from Amazon. Your must also move the W5 and W6 jumpers to change boards ip address to 10.10.10.10. Pathpilot should then find the 7i92 on boot and flash the card automatically just like it flashes the 5i25/6i25 cards.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve303 View Post
    The 7i92 requires +5v power source. I am using a 5v Meanwell Din mount power supply from Amazon. Your must also move the W5 and W6 jumpers to change boards ip address to 10.10.10.10. Pathpilot should then find the 7i92 on boot and flash the card automatically just like it flashes the 5i25/6i25 cards.
    Thank you Steve!
    I will set the jumpers and add a 5vdc supply and try again.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Like Steve303, I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T6RBSO/ to power my 7i92. Don't forget to order a length of DIN rail.

- - - Updated - - -

Like Steve303, I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T6RBSO/ to power my 7i92. Don't forget to order a length of DIN rail.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post

- - - Updated - - -

will do, tnx for the help, I have to round up a 5vdc supply.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Ordered a Meanwell as you guys recommended 5vdc at .55 amp

thanks for the info and help!!

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

the 7010 dell has a muffin fan on the power supply and a small liquid cooled setup with a small centrifugal blower on the processor.

I am using one of them with windows 10 and it hasnt gotten warm enough for either fan to come on.
    On bootup it is quick!

thanks

Im lost here!

pops was talking about a new computer that is faster to boot up and run PP and plugging in a mesa card!

will do, tnx for the help, I have to round up a 5vdc supply.

Now you guys are talking 5vdc power on a din rail to power the card. There is no din rail to mount a 5vdc pw supply on in any computer I ever made or owned!

Are you also changing out the board in the mill machine and adding the power supply to power the new board in the machine? There is a rail in there?

I have a computer with a mesa card and Parallel cable to mill.
    I also have 2 brix boxes that have no cards and cat5e cable and network ports to control router and lathe.

What requires the din rail and power?

Downloads
    Uploads

Now you guys are talking 5vdc power on a din rail to power the card. There is no din rail to mount a 5vdc pw supply on in any computer I ever made or owned!

Are you also changing out the board in the mill machine and adding the power supply to power the new board in the machine? There is a rail in there?

I also have 2 brix boxes that have no cards and cat5e cable and network ports to control router and lathe.

Hi MD
    As you know most brix boxes won't take a Mesa card internally. The Mesa 7i92 series is very similar to the original internal Mesa cards but connect to the control PC via ethernet. The "other end" remains compatible to a parallel port so no further changes are required to the mill - the mill controller board is not changed. This 7i92 card does not, as far as I'm aware, take power over ethernet so an additional 5V power supply is required. Both the 7i92 and power supply can be installed inside the mill enclosure. I have added a small din rail inside, on the left of the 1100 control cabinet to hold several power supplies and relays.
    Your lathe and router presumably have similar control boards to the 1100M series mills which have onboard Mesa controllers, thereby eliminating the parallel connection. The ethernet then connects directly to the control board.
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

Im lost here!

pops was talking about a new computer that is faster to boot up and run PP and plugging in a mesa card!

re.

I think the din rail is for mounting the supply in the electrical cabinet. I plan on using it in the computer compartment with a short power cord to a power strip thats already in there.

Your mesa cards are probably built into the machine or computer setup, I really dont know as this is new to me as well.

I dont like the computer under the machine (at 81), but from a dirt and dust standpoint I will keep it there.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

rsdi has a great post explaining his new controller and how he mounted the 7i92 and power supply in his 1100 panel using DIN rail and standoffs.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/torma...-software.html

Downloads
    Uploads

rsdi has a great post explaining his new controller and how he mounted the 7i92 and power supply in his 1100 panel using DIN rail and standoffs.

I will check it out tnx!

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

With respect I'd be very cautious about mounting switch mode power supplies directly above the machine controller board without EMI screening. At the very least I would have first mounted a metal plate on the standoffs and then mount the din rail onto the plate.
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

I too tired of having the computer under the mill so I mounted a waterproof electrical cabinet to the back of my old Tormach supplied three-sided surround. The cabinets are pretty cheap and it provides complete protection from chips.

I don't actually use my 7i92 with my mill but as part of a test setup for playing with possible upgrades. I have the Mesa card + 5v power supply + 12v power supply + other stuff mounted to a DIN rail in the electronics test area in the house and nowhere near my 770.

Downloads
    Uploads

I too tired of having the computer under the mill so I mounted a waterproof electrical cabinet to the back of my old Tormach supplied three-sided surround. The cabinets are pretty cheap and it provides complete protection from chips.

I don't actually use my 7i92 with my mill but as part of a test setup for playing with possible upgrades. I have the Mesa card + 5v power supply + 12v power supply + other stuff mounted to a DIN rail in the electronics test area in the house and nowhere near my 770.
    Ken, I just tried booting PP 2.72 with a powered 7i92 with a parallel cable attached but not attached to my mill. PP boots fine but PP will not reset. Are you able to reset PP?

Downloads
    Uploads

Ken, I just tried booting PP 2.72 with a powered 7i92 with a parallel cable attached but not attached to my mill. PP boots fine but PP will not reset. Are you able to reset PP?
    To come out of reset PathPilot needs to see the machine powered up and connected with no limit switches not tripped.

For PathPilot to come out of reset with no actual machine attached to the 7i92, the "machine-ok" signal (pin 15) on the DB25 has to be connected to ground (pins 18-21). This can be done with a paper clip in a pinch. Additionally, the limit switches will need to be disabled in Settings.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I can exit reset and in fact my config is reset upon boot with no need to do anything special. As mentioned by spyderguy550, you need to add a jumper. I'd have to check my actual wiring but I believe that my jumper is between pins 15 and 22. I took a slightly more elegant approach than a paper clip and added a short ribbon cable plus https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SQ2Q1IE/ to my DIN rail.

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=spyderguy550;2432680]To come out of reset PathPilot needs to see the machine powered up and connected with no limit switches not tripped.

[QUOTE=For PathPilot to come out of reset with no actual machine attached to the 7i92, the "machine-ok" signal (pin 15) on the DB25 has to be connected to ground (pins 18-21). This can be done with a paper clip in a pinch. Additionally, the limit switches will need to be disabled in Settings.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I can exit reset and in fact my config is reset upon boot with no need to do anything special. As mentioned by spyderguy550, you need to add a jumper. I'd have to check my actual wiring but I believe that my jumper is between pins 15 and 22. I took a slightly more elegant approach than a paper clip and added a short ribbon cable plus https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SQ2Q1IE/ to my DIN rail.
    Thanks guys. Got it working fine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Newer computer for a series 3 1100-img_2412-jpgNewer computer for a series 3 1100-img_2414-jpgNewer computer for a series 3 1100-img_2417-jpg

Dell Optiplex 7010, 7i92M,meanwell 5vdc supply. Supposed tp warm up slightly tomorrow, hopefully it all works......

There was no enclosure for the 7i92 so I made one from an old RC receiver display box, I am wondering what some of you fellows have done to enclose yours?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newer computer for a series 3 1100-img_2412-jpg   Newer computer for a series 3 1100-img_2414-jpg   Newer computer for a series 3 1100-img_2417-jpg  
    mike sr

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast