Hand Pendant code .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand Pendant code .

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hand Pendant code .

Has anyone been able to complete a hand pendant using encoders for SSO and FRO. It would also need an Axis selection switch and MPG support.

I was never able to get the encoders to move the sliders . I could however adjust the FRO and SSO . The encoder was simple but I do need teh Axis selector switch to go along with teh MPG..

(;-) TP

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hand Pendant code .

moonlightprototype.com has a rather elaborate one that has been out a few years for Pathpilot.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, those Moonlight pendants are a huge step up from stock. I REALLY don't love the one that came with the Tormach and I don't know if there is something wrong with mine, but there seems to be a lag when hitting the different axis' and it actually changing. Out of habit I just press the axis button I want numerous times to make sure it switches. Maybe I'm a cheap b@stard, but I just can't get myself to pay $300+ for these (if they were even available) when Amazon has the stock ones for $60.
    I don't know why but I assumed and CNC pendant would work for a CNC machine. Are the limitations based on the machines control program? (not the controller's OS, but say Mach vesus PP)

Downloads
    Uploads

The ones I am accustomed to are hard wired directly to the Controller and are not rs232 or USB interfaced . That makes it unique to the controller. It also tends to make it more responsive.

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tigster View Post
    Wow, those Moonlight pendants are a huge step up from stock. I REALLY don't love the one that came with the Tormach and I don't know if there is something wrong with mine, but there seems to be a lag when hitting the different axis' and it actually changing. Out of habit I just press the axis button I want numerous times to make sure it switches. Maybe I'm a cheap b@stard, but I just can't get myself to pay $300+ for these (if they were even available) when Amazon has the stock ones for $60.
    I don't know why but I assumed and CNC pendant would work for a CNC machine. Are the limitations based on the machines control program? (not the controller's OS, but say Mach vesus PP)
    Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    The ones I am accustomed to are hard wired directly to the Controller and are not rs232 or USB interfaced . That makes it unique to the controller. It also tends to make it more responsive.
    The delayed reaction of the Tormach pendant axis buttons is entirely due to their PathPilot implementation. A USB interface is more than fast enough to handle a simple button press (compare with a USB keyboard).
    I never watch the GUI when jogging anyway. Besides improving the reaction time I simply added a "beep" each time the selected axis changes. I react automatically when I press a button and I don't hear the beep.
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

HI Step , A while back you had an example of using encoders to do FRO and SSO. Do you still use that setup or have you gone to another pendant ?? Would you be willing to share the code to run the encoders ?? I am working on a new hand pendant for the PP controllers we have here. I prefer that they are direct wired into the contoller and not be usb or serial. The machines use Mesa 7i80 boards and have plenty of available i/o . I can devote 1 entire port to a pendant if needed. IF you have any ideas I am listening.

MPG
    SSO
    FRO
    Axis selection for MPG
    ??
    ??

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    moonlightprototype.com has a rather elaborate one that has been out a few years for Pathpilot.
    And every time I look at the site they are 'sold out'. Have been for years. No indication of how to get on a wait list. No obvious way to contact except to subscribe to a newsletter. Site seems to be updated occasionally, so it's not dead.

It'd be really, really nice to know how to get one now (gentle hint, if the developer is reading this thread).

Downloads
    Uploads

That beep would be very helpful. What does it take to add the axis change beep?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    And every time I look at the site they are 'sold out'. Have been for years. No indication of how to get on a wait list. No obvious way to contact except to subscribe to a newsletter. Site seems to be updated occasionally, so it's not dead.

It'd be really, really nice to know how to get one now (gentle hint, if the developer is reading this thread).
    I had his email address but lost it when ATT shutdown the email account that it was located on!
    Maybe someone on here has it?? I have the ninja knobs and it works very well with PP. He also had a kit he was putting together?? I think his day job is taking up more of his time lately and he just does this as a hobby.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tigster View Post
    That beep would be very helpful. What does it take to add the axis change beep?
    I sent you 3 PM's.
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    I sent you 3 PM's.
    Step
    I might go for this on mill. Need to check the brix units on router or lathe to see if they have a speaker for sound.
    Thanks in advance

Downloads
    Uploads

So sorry Step, I am so used to email notifications on threads and P.M's....I'm not setup correctly here. Looking at your messages now.....

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post

I am alive! No good excuses for the lack of communication. It's been a rough couple years to devote time, resources, and space to the project. Hoping to get things going again now that I am starting to get back all three.

Once I get settled in my new place, I am going to reach out to the community and make a fresh batch of pendants.

Downloads
    Uploads

Very good to see you back on the forum Pete!

I use my Ninja Knobs everytime I run a new program and to adjust speeds and feeds on the fly.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone interested in a hardwired version of a hand pendant .

Cnc4pc MPG2 or MPG4. Plugs into a spare port with an adaptor.

Setup does not look to hard as long as you have a spare port to work with.

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I have most of teh code done for the hardwired pendant . There is one section I am stuck. It is the Scale selection. It makes use of MUX2 and I cannot get it to work. Here is the code I used. If anyone understands Mux2 I could use some help. I see the 2 selections and I see the single output but I do not understand how it makes the selection. I get errors concerning the net scale1 and net scale2 lines. I am using mux2 because PP does not have a Mux4 component.

#********** JOG Incr MUX2*******************
    loadrt mux2 count=1
    addf mux2.0 servo-thread

setp mux2.0.in0 .0025
    setp mux2.0.in1 .00025

net scale1 mux2.0.sel0 <= hm2_7i80.0.gpio.049.in
    net scale2 mux2.0.sel1 <= hm2_7i80.0.gpio.050.in

net j-scale <= mux2.0.out
    net j-scale => axis.0.jog-scale
    net j-scale => axis.1.jog-scale
    net j-scale => axis.2.jog-scale
    net j-scale => axis.3.jog-scale

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

I see the 2 selections and I see the single output but I do not understand how it makes the selection. I get errors concerning the net scale1 and net scale2 lines. I am using mux2 because PP does not have a Mux4 component.
    According to the documentation Mux4 has 2 "sel" inputs but Mux2 only has one:

Hand Pendant code .-mux2-png

Are you trying to do everything in the HAL???
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Step, Yes everything is done in the Post Hal . after working with it all day I finally figured out that the sample code I was using did NOT work like the the Mux2 info said it did. Yes it has 2 selections and IF the input is true it uses in0 and if it is false it uses in1. Not exactly what I needed with a rotary switch setup. I have some more idea to test that may make the switch work correctly with PP.

The idea is to have 4 selections. one for each switch position. The left switch select one of six axis works fine XYZA FRO SSO . I never did figure out how to make teh SSO and FRO work properly but at least it does work.

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Well that idea was a bust so I guess the hard wired pendant run from HAL idea is a bust as well. I can make it work "all most" as you would expect but not exactly the way it should. One of those close but no cigar ideas. I did ask Tormach about their hand pendant on their control panel but it is NOT sold seperate from the panel.

I CAN use the pendant here as I can make having only 2 scale selections work for me.

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Step, Yes everything is done in the Post Hal . after working with it all day I finally figured out that the sample code I was using did NOT work like the the Mux2 info said it did. Yes it has 2 selections and IF the input is true it uses in0 and if it is false it uses in1. Not exactly what I needed with a rotary switch setup. I have some more idea to test that may make the switch work correctly with PP.

The idea is to have 4 selections. one for each switch position. The left switch select one of six axis works fine XYZA FRO SSO . I never did figure out how to make teh SSO and FRO work properly but at least it does work.

(;-) TP
    Your option in the HAL are limited but I expect it can all be done with the more recent additions in PP.
    Are you really trying to multiplex float values? Do you need to multiplex 4 or 6 inputs?

Using Python gives you much more flexibility and far fewer headaches. My current Pendant version (under development - almost everything will change for the next prototype) connects via USB and interfaces correctly with feed, spindle and rapid overrides, Run, Feedhold, Stop, Reset, Jogging via a Shuttle type encoder and axis selection (and more to come).

Hand Pendant code .-pendantv0-1-jpg

This wouldn't have been possible with just the HAL due to the USB interface but even without USB I'm not sure I'd have been able to implement everything.
    Step

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast