Tormach - PP Update Wish List - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tormach - PP Update Wish List

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tormach - PP Update Wish List

`Have you ever tried teh M80/M81 routines that record teh Gcode status and then restore the Gcode status back to the recorded values ??

Just a thought(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

I had never heard of those M codes before; they are not documented by Tormach, and a cursory Web search turns up some unrelated uses of them in some gCode implementations. Should we rely on Tormach to support them for save & restore?

Being able to save and restore gCode settings would be nice, but most of what I perceive as missing is access to engine status (speed range, slider positions, etc) that by nature can't be set by gCode, but now can't even be read by gCode.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fenichel View Post
    My meta-wish for PathPilot is that any status known to the engine should be accessible in gCode.

For example, PathPilot doesn't automatically know when I have shifted the belt to change my 770 from the low-speed range to the high-speed range. That's OK; the screen UI lets me tell PP what range the machine is in. But once PathPilot knows (or thinks it knows) what speed range is in effect, my gCode programs should (presumably through a #54xx variable) be able to know that too. The status accessible to gCode programs should include the positions of all the sliders and the status indicated by LEDs (step size, speed range, etc). In addition, there are a few obscure settings (subsettings of G64, for example) that are sticky but unreadable. That is, gCode can set them, but a gCode subroutine can't save them, set its own values, and then restore the old values. Why not?
    Perhaps not exactly what you are asking for but there may be alternatives that don't require Tormach to make changes. I haven't tried it but supposedly you can call Python from gcode. (See https://forum.linuxcnc.org/20-g-code...python-example for some details.) You could use python code to read or set any HAL pin from your gcode. For example, HAL pins 'tormach.spindle-range' and 'tormachspindle.belt-position' reflect the current belt settings (I did try that).

Please keep us informed if you try this!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Perhaps not exactly what you are asking for but there may be alternatives that don't require Tormach to make changes. I haven't tried it but supposedly you can call Python from gcode. (See https://forum.linuxcnc.org/20-g-code...python-example for some details.) You could use python code to read or set any HAL pin from your gcode. For example, HAL pins 'tormach.spindle-range' and 'tormachspindle.belt-position' reflect the current belt settings (I did try that).

Please keep us informed if you try this!
    I'd be happy to do it, but there's various necessary lore that I have no pointers to. In particular, where can I find out about (a) HAL pins and (b) the namespace in which you found tormach.spindle-range and tormachspindle.belt-position?

Downloads
    Uploads

To be rude, "the documentation is in the code"! More politely, go to the MDI and enter "admin halcmd show". PP will dump zillions of lines containing the names of all pins and signals and components into the log file . Many of the names are somewhat self-explanatory. If there is any doubt, change the value what seems the obvious meaning and enter "admin halcmd show pin i_do_not_fully_understand" and play until you understand. If you haven't yet found it, the logfile is called gcode/logfiles/pathpilotlog.txt and is probably most easily examined from notepad++ on a PC connected to your gcode share.

Look at Creating Userspace Python Components for some details of the interface and what you can accomplish.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    I would like an easy way to return the 24r router to the ets location.
    Hi MD, just PM'd you.
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

The M80/M81 routines are used in the PP ATC functions so I dought they are going anywhere soon. (;-) Use them or not up to you. But they work great here. EVERY DIY controller I have worked with in the past has special " things" they do not tell you about.

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

response to #25
    I'm still missing something. Among the lines generated by admin halcmd show there are a few whose interpretation would seem to be straightforward. For example, there are lines that seem to show the current minimum and maximum spindle speeds, so I could write Python code that would let HAL know what speed range the machine was in. I found some other interpretable lines (the current tool's number, OD, and offset; the radio button for jog size; the slider (I think) of feed rate) too.

What I'm missing is this: I haven't noticed any means of having HAL share what it knows with running gCode. I'll be happy to write a bunch of Python to poll various machine state, but I don't want to bother with that until I could write some gCode like
    Code:
    o 1234 if [something]
        (msg, low speed range)
    o 1234 else
        (msg, high speed range)
    o 1234 end if

Last edited by Fenichel; 12-19-2020 at 06:22 PM. Reason: clarified to whom responding; typo

Downloads
    Uploads

Earlier I wrote "I haven't tried it but supposedly you can call Python from gcode. (See https://forum.linuxcnc.org/20-g-code...python-example for some details.)" Have you tried the material in that link? It is one of the dozens of things on my to try list!

Downloads
    Uploads

Just a note there is a void between the Python side and the Gcode side where some data cannot pass either way. You have to route the data to an outside program then to the otherside. Been there tried that. I was working on having PathPilot to send text about the Gcode side conditions to the enduser which was controlled on teh Python side. Doing either side was trivial but transferring data across teh void was very complicated as I found out .

Just a thought , (;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Earlier I wrote "I haven't tried it but supposedly you can call Python from gcode. (See https://forum.linuxcnc.org/20-g-code...python-example for some details.)" Have you tried the material in that link? It is one of the dozens of things on my to try list!
    I looked through that link and found nothing useful. Someone in one comment said he thought that Python-to-gCode communication wasn't actually possible, but all I take from that comment is that it isn't trivial.

The whole business of going into HAL & Python is, at best, an unattractive workaround. As you noted, there are zillions of data maintained by HAL. That is a conservative estimate.

By contrast, there are no more than one or two dozen simple items that are
    • already used by the PP engine,
    • individually communicable as numerical (and often boolean) values, and
    • of potential value in gCode programs.

If Tormach's rule of thumb were that whenever such an item is identified, it is linked to a new #54xx parameter, then this might add about 2 person-hours per year to their workload, and it would protect users from getting trapped in irredundant, semi-maintainable innard-hacking.

Last edited by Fenichel; 12-19-2020 at 07:19 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    Just a note there is a void between the Python side and the Gcode side where some data cannot pass either way. You have to route the data to an outside program then to the otherside. Been there tried that. I was working on having PathPilot to send text about the Gcode side conditions to the enduser which was controlled on teh Python side. Doing either side was trivial but transferring data across teh void was very complicated as I found out .

Just a thought , (;-) TP
    I'm just getting started with the whole Python/PP/gcode thing. Could you elaborate on the problems before I waste more time?

Downloads
    Uploads

As I understand it, there is some code that is more-or-less "real time" that resides in the kernel and handles interpreting the gcode and sending motion commands to the hardware. This code is very much "heads down" doing time critical things and has some strong limits on how long it can take to do what it needs to do. It can't reach "out" of the kernel to the other code which runs the user interface due to timing limits and security limits.

The other piece of code keeps the user interface working. This is where the python code is. It can send information into a queue of commands that get sent to the code in the kernel, but it gets very little information back from the code in the kernel (some status info, mostly, I think). The user interface isn't "real time" or in the kernel, so it has fewer restrictions on what it can do. That's what allows it to run the user interface.

So when the gcode is executed, it is in code that can't get back to the python code to a very large extent. The user interface code is pretty much limited to issuing commands and listening for some very limited status, but doesn't really "look at" the gcode, it just hands it down to the code in the kernel.

Downloads
    Uploads

After I had struggled with it for about a full week I broke down and asked Tormach if it was possible. Here is teh responce.

Hi Terry –

You’ve discovered that “you can’t get there from here” with regard to the Python user interface and the state of G code interpreter data.

It can be done via use of a LinuxCNC feature called “remap” for M and G codes but use of remap is very complex and has various non-obvious side effects.

You might try another approach to get the data you want somewhere that the UI can find it.

Look into using the magic comments that start with “LOG” to lay a trail of bread crumbs for your M00/M01 break handler in the UI.

Open the file, log your data, close the file, and let the UI code look for the file and do something with the contents.

You would include this sequence just before the M00/M01 break in the gcode program.

LOG understands named and numbered G code variables.

Note: the default directory for the LOG file is ~/gcode – i.e. /home/operator/gcode. This is the folder that shows up as the root of the File tab in PathPilot.

G Code Overview

(LOGOPEN,filename.txt) - opens the named log file. If the file already exists, it is truncated.
    (LOGAPPEND,filename) - opens the named log file. If the file already exists, the data is appended.
    (LOGCLOSE) - closes an open log file.
    (LOG,) - everything past the , is written to the log file if it is open. Supports expansion of parameters as described below.

The amount of work involved just was NOT worth the effort as it still was not know IF it could be done dependably. Yep just one of those just can't get there from here deals. OR close but no cigar (;-).

There was also a deal where you write teh data out to a holding program outside of PathPilot. It ran in Linux . the the Python side could read into that program and grab teh data . It too was not worth the effort to impliment and maintain over updates.

The idea was simple take error data from teh gcode side and send it to the user cell phone from teh Python side. (;-)

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Another thig I am working opn is to be able to send user messages to the Status line at teh bottom of teh main page. That way the operator gets a direct view of any incoming messages without having to change screens or mouse over the status tab. You simply look at teh status line for any new message. Many times in probing routines or measurement routines using teh probe you need to see teh actual data as it is collected . This always worked well in other controllers where you had teh staus line on teh main page.

There is a message line there PP uses it on startup to post teh mode name. But after that I do not ever see it used for anything PP.

SO if when you used debug and it sends teh message to the status PAGE it would be great to also send it to the Status line on teh main page. It would only contain 1 line then be overwritten on teh next message.

I got close but it was one of those close but no cigar deals.

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Something like this (check the status line below the DRO's)?

I personally don't think a single line is much use for monitoring measurement values but...
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fenichel View Post
    . . . there are no more than one or two dozen simple items that are
    • already used by the PP engine,
    • individually communicable as numerical (and often boolean) values, and
    • of potential value in gCode programs.

It may be worthwhile to expand on this:
    • Values that gCode can set, but cannot read. These can't therefore be saved, temporarily changed (say, in a subroutine), and then restored. The M80/M81 codes touted by @vmax549 might do the trick, but the trouble with unreadable values is that there's no way to know if they have actually been restored. The only values in this group that I've come across so far are the P and Q parameters of G64, but there may be others.
    • Values known to PathPilot because it knows what machine it's on. These include
    • absolute maximum X
    • absolute minimum Y
    • absolute minimum Z
    • maximum feed rate
    • Values known to PP once the machine has been referenced, and in a given workspace. These include the minimum and maximum possible values of X, Y, and Z.
    • Values that a user can set in the UI. These include the high/low spindle-speed range and the positions of the various sliders. The jog slider is interesting because PathPilot ignores it while a program is running, but -- if it could be read by gCode -- it could allow live manipulation of a running program in various ways.
    • Values derived from some of the above. These include
      • the maximum and minimum spindle speeds at this high/low setting,
      • the actual feed rate and spindle speed (modified by the pertinent sliders and constrained by the maxima; these are the values shown in the DROs of the UI)

I think that's it; as I estimated, it is fewer than 2 dozen items.

Downloads
    Uploads

HI Step I had found the name for the status line and was able to write to it as well. BUT I know that Debug sends the text to the status PAGE but how are you redirecting teh debug output to the status line on teh main page ??

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Step the important question would be did you hand edit the screenset to add teh C axis dro or were you able to get Glade to work with PP ??? So far I have not been able to get Glade to work with PP. I would love to be able to add a couple of DROs and a couple of buttons to teh screenset.

There are also Text lines embeded in teh toolpath window. That would be better than teh status line as it is more visable to teh operator.

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Fenichel , If you look in the remap for the M80/M81 I think you can see exactly what values they are saving and restoring.

(;-) TP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12