Accessing the ATC pages

Thread: Accessing the ATC pages

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Accessing the ATC pages

Does anyone have an idea on how to fool PathPilot into thinking it has an ATC so that we can access the ATC pages ?? I have an ATC that runs from the M6 macro and would like to interface that into the PathPilot Page.

(;-) TP

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default re: Accessing the ATC pages

There's some kind of simulation supported; the hal_zbotatc.py creates SerialSim() when is_sim_config is set.
    That gets set when hal_zbotatc gets started with the argument "sim"
    That in turn gets set when you start the "simulation mode" version of PathPilot.

If you don't want to run the sim, you can presumably update configs/tormach_mill/tormach_mill_mesa.hal where it does loadusr -Wn zbotatc -n zbotatc python/hal_zbotatc.py to instead do loadusr -Wn zbotatc -n zbotatc python/hal_zbotatc.py sim
    (Unless you have a 440, or a router, or one of the other special cases, in which case, update the apropriate other.)

Downloads
    Uploads

Although that probably wont' get to where you want to go. You may need to edit the hal_zbotatc.py file itself to talk to your tool changer rather than the Tormach one. Or build a serial protocol adapter that knows how to "speak" Tormach one way, and "speak" your ATC the other way.
    The hal_zbotatc.py looks for the serial device /dev/zbot_atc (at 57600 baud) to start running.

Downloads
    Uploads

I"ll see what that does with sim. The problem is the ATC is run strictly with PathPilot from teh M6 macro so there is NO atc controller to talk to . PathPilot runs it all inhouse. I would like to be able to use the ATC pages to help run the ATC and use teh ATC visual references on teh ATC page. Here is an old video of it running. It has run in Mach3 mach4 UCCNC and now PathPilot. It was designed to tuck away from the bed so the full size of teh bed could be used without interference. AND it stays a lot cleaner.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/62opkiumhv..._3165.MOV?dl=0

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Depending on how good your Python skills are, you can probably do some minor surgery on the existing files and just make them "always come up" no matter whether /dev/zbot_atc exists or not.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Accessing the ATC pages

I do not mind even a major adventure as long as I know where to board the plane to get started.

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

I am looking but I have not discovered the hook where they bring the ATC online and turn on the ATC pages.

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

The appropriate "hal" file starts it, unconditionally, using

Code:
    loadusr -Wn zbotatc -n zbotatc python/hal_zbotatc.py
    For example, your HAL file might be ./configs/tormach_mill/tormach_mill_mesa.hal or something else in that directory.

The python file has interesting hooks like:

Code:
        def disable(self):
            assert ppglobals.GUI_THREAD_ID == thread.get_ident()
            self.redis.hset('machine_prefs', 'toolchange_type', MILL_TOOLCHANGE_TYPE_REDIS_MANUAL)
            self.operational = False

def enable(self):
            assert ppglobals.GUI_THREAD_ID == thread.get_ident()
            self.redis.hset('machine_prefs', 'toolchange_type', MILL_TOOLCHANGE_TYPE_REDIS_ZBOT)
            self.operational = True    #takes effect at RESET
    The tormach_mill_ui.py file creates the zbot_atc object, and then checks with settings whether to use it:

Code:
                if self.machineconfig.machine_class() == 'mill':
                    try:
                        tc_type = self.redis.hget('machine_prefs', 'toolchange_type')
                        if tc_type == MILL_TOOLCHANGE_TYPE_REDIS_ZBOT:
                            self.error_handler.log("Tool change type set to ATC")
                            self.atc.enable()
                            self.show_atc_diagnostics()
    So I think your main job would be to poke the right parts into the settings file to tell it an ATC is present.
    This might be available on the "setup" page? (I'm not at the mill right now)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    This might be available on the "setup" page? (I'm not at the mill right now)
    There is a check box for atc on setup page. I was going to mention this a while back but figured it would not help much.
    Thinking it would start the code for atc setup, but will not find what it needs to complete and skip it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Teh ATC box on teh settings page causes PP to go look for teh ATC card and if it does not find it it resets the Page back to manual tool change. could be a good starting point or a false flag.

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    Teh ATC box on teh settings page causes PP to go look for teh ATC card and if it does not find it it resets the Page back to manual tool change. could be a good starting point or a false flag.

(;-) TP
    I think you've found the best starting point - looking in the code! You'll find all the answers to all the questions you've asked so far in the code. Yes, it requires some work, but that's unavoidable if you want to integrate your ATC this way.
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, I found teh magic cookie that lets you bring up the ATC pages without having teh atc card present. From there there is a cookie crumb trail to the atc functions so that one can reprogram the function to work inhouse and not from teh ATC card. Not really crazy about how they did tool# and slot assigments but hey it is their billywig not mine.

Most machine do the tool/slot asignments from teh tool table not from teh PLC side. Slot assignment from teh tool table is incredibly simply. From teh PLC side NOT so simple.

(:-) TP