Conversational question

Thread: Conversational question

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Conversational question

I setup a simple drill operation with spotting and a single hole. Tool 129 is #129 drill with its diameter properly defined in the offsets as 0.136. What is the significance of the "tool diameter 0.4360" just below the "Z END"? Also, the 118 and 135 degree depths appear to be incorrect.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Conversational question-screenshot-17-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Conversational question

Looks like it's displaying the spot tool, which is #20? Is that diameter 0.4360?

Downloads
    Uploads

No, the spot drill (tool #20) is 0.125. I don't think that I have any tools defined of 0.436 diameter.

Downloads
    Uploads

The text may be misleading. I think that the "tool diameter" datum here is the Z level that the full diameter of the drill will have reached when the tip gets to ZEnd.

Downloads
    Uploads

What I said isn't right, but it is akin to being right, in a way I haven't figured out yet. For what it's worth, the difference between PP's 118° number (-0.4940) and PP's 135° number (-0.5347) is equal (within rounding) to the OD/2/tan(118°/2) = 0.136/2/tan(59°) = 0.068/1.664 = 0.0408. Some sort of tip-taper allowance is being computed, but I don't see how PP got from ZEnd (-0.625) to the -0.436/-0.494/-0.5347 range .

Downloads
    Uploads

If the drill diameter were actually 0.436 with a 118-degree angle, with tip -0.625 deep the full diameter would reach a depth of -0.494. This depth is shown as the middle number. However, the third number, -0.5347, is not correct for a 135-point angle.

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like a simple bug in your version of PP. I have version 1.9.8 running in VirtualBox, and with your options entered it shows the correct numbers for tool OD and the two tip-taper adjustments. On the mill, version 2.5.2 again gives the correct results.

Downloads
    Uploads

Problem explained, sorta.
    I remembered that a few days ago (and several mill shutdowns since) I used conversational mode for thread milling using tool #191. Tool #191 has a diameter in Offsets of 0.436 which appears to have been retained. After this discussion I went back to the shop and turned my 770 back on. The diameter of tool #129 is now displayed correctly in the conversational drill screen.

Downloads
    Uploads

To finish this topic, I upgraded to 2.5.2 with the same results. I submitted a bug report to Tormach.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    To finish this topic, I upgraded to 2.5.2 with the same results. I submitted a bug report to Tormach.
    They're pretty good about fixing things. I sent them a report around 6 months ago that their g-code generated to run a dxf file did a spindle and coolant off before moving to the next shape. Then turn them on for the next shape. Really added a bunch of time to my routine. Short term I made the spindle and coolant offs comments in g-edit. They fixed it in the next version of PP.

I just sent them one that PP says you can increase feed rates up to 150% when you mouse over the slider. You can actually go to 200%. They upgraded the speed a while back but missed the message in the mouse over message.

Bruce

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, Tormach is usually pretty responsive to bug reports. This issue doesn't affect operations other than by displaying erroneous information.