Electronic tool setter and touch tool

Thread: Electronic tool setter and touch tool

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Electronic tool setter and touch tool

Hello peeps. I'm feeling a bit dumb at the moment.

I just wired up a home-brew electronic tool setter. But I ran across a problem with the height routine in PP. I use a tormach dial indictor touch tool for setting work offset heights. I can't figure out how to set that tool length with the ETS. The touch tool needs to be compressed a certain amount to zero it out. How do I do a manual input while keeping the rest of the tools offsets correct?

Thanks
    Tom

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Electronic tool setter and touch tool

There are lots of approaches. You can follow section "5.1.6 Touch Off the Workiece to Set Work Offsets" on page 51 of the manual at https://www.tormach.com/support/wpdm...nual-0916a-web. Insert your dial indicator tool. Ensure that the tool length is set to zero. Lower the indicator onto the same surface used in the first step until it reads your usual reference value. Note the Z-axis reading and enter that as the length of the dial indicator tool.

A slightly more convenient approach is to use an accurately measured tool to surface a piece of scrap stock. Set the Z-DRO to zero. Change to the dial indicator tool, set its tool length to zero and lower the indicator onto the machined surface until it reads appropriately. Set the tool length to the current Z-DRO reading.

Downloads
    Uploads

Okay, I see. Do it referenced to a surface, not the tool setter.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think that there is any way using the ETS. I've set mine using a height gauge (offline tool setter).

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I don't think that there is any way using the ETS. I've set mine using a height gauge (offline tool setter).
    I have an offline height gauge, but I was looking to convert to using an ETS. It seems like an oversight that they don’t have a method for handling a dial indicator or Haimer.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've used a TTS-fitted Haimer for toolsetting before with no problem. The Haimer is placed upside down with the arbor located in the hole of the Tormach TTS-setting granite block and a height gauge is used to depress the tip until the dial reads zero on the Haimer scale. I enter that height in T0 and measure and record the offsets of the needed tools in their holders with the same height gauge. Works fine for me.