Need Help! Finding the ini file to edit soft limits (tormach 770 S3)

Thread: Finding the ini file to edit soft limits (tormach 770 S3)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Finding the ini file to edit soft limits (tormach 770 S3)

Been a while since I used the machine (hobbyist) and I can't remember how to get to the ini file to edit the machine's soft limits. The job I have JUST needs a few more mm in X travel to prevent re setting-up for another op.

I've looked for this info here and in the manual but so far it escapes me! Any info / steps to help get me there will be much appreciated. Pathpilot is v.2.4.1.

Cheers, Andy
    UK

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Fortune7; 03-02-2020 at 10:16 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Finding the ini file to edit soft limits (tormach 770 S3)

type "admin" in the MDI line hit enter, this brings up all the admin commands, X and Y travel are listed there.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    type "admin" in the MDI line hit enter, this brings up all the admin commands, X and Y travel are listed there.
    Thanks, Mike for the quick response. I tried that (Something like ADMIN VIEW SOFT LIMITS / ADMIN SET X LIMIT XXX) but didn't get far in changing them, despite re-starting the controller afterwards. After some research it seems I have to edit the soft limits line in the machine's ini (initialization) file. Once done, they stay in place until the next software update. I just can't find a way to get to the ini file in the controller's file system. it's not a folder which can be viewed from the pathpilot 'file' tab. I think there's some combo button holds to press while starting-up, or while in PP, just can't find out how!

If you know the soft limits can be changed from the MDI line, apologies, I obviously haven't found the right sequence of actions to get it done!

Cheers, Andy

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fortune7 View Post
    Thanks, Mike for the quick response. I tried that (Something like ADMIN VIEW SOFT LIMITS / ADMIN SET X LIMIT XXX) but didn't get far in changing them, despite re-starting the controller afterwards. After some research it seems I have to edit the soft limits line in the machine's ini (initialization) file. Once done, they stay in place until the next software update. I just can't find a way to get to the ini file in the controller's file system. it's not a folder which can be viewed from the pathpilot 'file' tab. I think there's some combo button holds to press while starting-up, or while in PP, just can't find out how!

If you know the soft limits can be changed from the MDI line, apologies, I obviously haven't found the right sequence of actions to get it done!

Cheers, Andy

to get to the .ini files type ctrl+alt+x, then type caja in the terminal, then desktop will be available or the various folders are visible. The newer pp releases I had to modify the mill base.ini file, that file modifys the main .ini file on bootup. I dont remember the exact syntax for it.

I did modify the soft limits in the mill base.ini files to reflect my changed settings, this worked for me.

My limits are 10.125 in Y and 19.375 in X, factory is 9 x 18, I have a file that needs the full X axis setting.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

the syntax is ctrl alt x, then type caja in the terminal, all folders will be visible the files to modify are in "tormach_mill_base.ini".

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Mike,

Many thanks - that got me there! My mill's a 770 S3, so the tormach_mill_base.ini file is for the 1100. The 770 gets its info from tormach_770_specific.ini, which I edited and got some extra X travel.

Your response much appreciated - thanks again.

Andy

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=Fortune7;2360190]Mike,

Many thanks - that got me there! My mill's a 770 S3, so the tormach_mill_base.ini file is for the 1100. The 770 gets its info from tormach_770_specific.ini, which I edited and got some extra X travel.

Your response much appreciated - thanks again.

Andy

Your welcome Andy

I have an 1100 s3, so I am glad that you got it going even with a bit of misinformation......

The downside is that evey time you update you will have to make the changes again, not the end of the world though.

mike sr

ADMIN SET_Y_LIMIT is a better route if your ball screw is long enough. MDI auto-completion should show you all of that. Or ADMIN HELP does also.