Mach3 Series 1 to PathPilot?

Thread: Mach3 Series 1 to PathPilot?

Default Mach3 Series 1 to PathPilot?

Is just the PCI ($185) from Tormach all that is needed to upgrade from Series 1 Mach3 to PathPilot2? I have looked through other posts and there is Mesa FPGA cards talked about and other things (assume I am reasonably PC literate but not a Geek). My question is if I need to upgrade the control card resident in the PCNC machine panel also. since mine is not listed in the Tormach upgrades (PN 30162 Ver2 Rev2). Also, I have a plethora of XP machines from the kids with PCI slots to cannibalize to keep it running for years.

pp2.pdf

Next question is if there is a list of components to purchase to simply build a new controller (PC) with all the right stuff (PP2 card and FPGA card etc.) that is bullet proof for the casual user? I see i3s and i5s for $100 - $150 if that would be the better route than old XP machines.

Thank you,
    Charles

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Mach3 Series 1 to PathPilot?

Trying to post picture but get "Matirx"

Downloads
    Uploads

use the Edit to fix your image link

Downloads
    Uploads

Mesa 5i25 if your pc uses a PCI slot - $89
    Mesa 6i25 if your pc uses the smaller slot (PCIe - I think) - $109
    your can also use the Mesa 7i92 Ethernet card - $89 - great option if you wish to move your pc away from the mill

I am using an older i3 w/ 4 gb ram on a Asus H81 MB with a 120 gb ssd and the Mesa 6i25 and it works great.

So let's paint by number here:
    1) Tormach sells a Mach3 to PP2 which includes a PCI card. for $185 I am thinking this is all that is needed. I assume this has the DB25 output.
    2) Were does the Mesa 5I25 card come into play? Is it if you just buy the $25 PP2 upgrade flashdrive? I assume 5i25 has the DB25 output.
    3) You say Ethernet is best but does the old PCNC cabinet input control card have ethernet?

Not trying to save every nickel so If the Tormach PCI is $185 and the Mesa is $89 +PP@ $25

I am guessing I am overthinking this but if the PP2 upgrade stick will not do Mach3 to PP2 I may be stuck with the $185 Tormach assuming it is all that is needed.

Sorry for being a pain but I don't want to just start buying parts and endup going down some endless rabbit hole.

Thank you,
    Charles

Downloads
    Uploads

AFAIK the Mesa 5i25 is the FPGA card Tormach includes in their PP2 upgrade kit. The major advantage you get buying direct from Tormach is phone support.

Yes, I chatted with Tormach today and essentially this is correct. I will most likely do the $185 upgrade direct from Tormach. Second option is the $500 for a Tormach refurbed controller.

Thank you for your assistance,
    Charles

Downloads
    Uploads

A few additional comments:
    To upgrade from Mach3 to PP2 you need only the PCI or PCIe Mesa card (sometimes referenced as a "FPGA card") plus the USB stick containing the software. The Tormach upgrade package appears to include a printed manual hence the higher price. There are no new cables or changes to the mill controller board required and it only takes a few minutes to install PP2.

Another option is to purchase a Mesa 7i92 card which connects to your Linux PC via Ethernet. The 7i92 needs a power supply and a DB25 cable. The 7i92 uses a dedicated Ethernet port on the PC so if you also want network connectivity you will need to add another Ethernet card or USB Ethernet adapter. I have a system with 7i92 working here using a dual port Ethernet card but I don't believe that a 7i92 is officially supported by Tormach.

Installing PP2 deletes everything on your original hard disk so you may be happier if you replace your original disk with a 120GB or so SSD. That way you will get much faster boots plus you can always fallback to Mach3 if you don't like PP.

I splurged and got the refurbed Pathpilot controller from Tormach. Had to figure out how to reconfig to series 1 but once ADMIN CONFIG RESTORE in the MDI line I got it up and running. All is working great. Now onto tramming it in to make it useful.

Thanks for the help,
    Charles