How to back up PP Software?

Thread: How to back up PP Software?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to back up PP Software?

I've had PP about 2 yrs now, bought a new controller from Tormach with PP already installed on the hard drive.

But I'm wondering how to re-install PP from a backup onto a new PC if this controller should fail.
    Buying a new controller from Tormach (if it happens) is not an option anymore, but as this came pre-installed without any program CD or thumb drive to re-install the program onto another computer, how would I do it?
    Is it possible to make a backup of the program, or how would I install again from scratch onto an empty drive?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to back up PP Software?

I think install from scratch with usb is always best. And restore backup data and settings if possible. A new box would almost require this.
    I replaced my controller about same time as you and my unit arrived with no cd rom . After reading this I remembered having PP on usb from first release and all the updates, so it would be possible.

Not easy tho.

Downloads
    Uploads

The easy way is to use teh PP backup routine to backup teh important stuff . IF you do not have a PP 2.0 install USB stick then buy one. They are cheap. TO use on a new PC insert teh usb stick and boot teh PC let it install teh PP2.0 then update teh PC to the latest verion of PP found on teh Website. Then run teh restore function to recover your backed up data.

This can save you the hardship of dealing with permissions in Linux as teh Installs setup everything properly.

This does assume that you are already running the teh PP 2 version software.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

My old puter used as controller had front load ssd drive bays. Used one for pp and one for Mach. Going to pull it and install on new controller make it easy to setup a backup ssd for use and swap out if required.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the replies.
    I guess I'll have to buy the USB install stick for a backup. Which is a pain, as it'll end up costing me twice as much as the sticker price to get it delivered to the UK
    Does make you wonder why they don't give you an install CD when you buy the original controller though.

Downloads
    Uploads

In general, the only things you need to back up are the files in the /home/operator directory.
    You can put a USB stick in, and copy all the files from /home/operator onto there. You can't do this in PathPilot itself, though; you have to do it in the shell.
    If you ever need to restore on top of a new install of PathPilot, you should be able to just copy it all back in place, replacing whatever is there by default, and all your tool tables and files should be present.
    Making sure to have occasional backups is important.

(Personally, I add a crontab that uses "rsync" to copy a copy of the operator home directory to my regular file server. Easy to set up if you know Linux; not something you could do on your own without that knowledge, though.)

ADMIN BOOTMENU ON seems to do all the grub stuff for you right from the MDI line.