New version V2.3.4 released - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New version V2.3.4 released

Default Re: New version V2.3.4 released

jwatte, you have a link for that granite block? I've searched on Tormach's website but I'm not finding it. I'd like to purchase one for my TTS stuff.

I found it! I was a click or two away.

https://www.tormach.com/store/index....13&portrelay=1

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Tormach has a small surface plate (granite block) with a bored hole for the TTS tool holder.
    You put the tool holder in the hole, the flange sits on the plate. You use a height gage sitting on the plate to measure the tip of the tool, and punch that number into the tool table.
    For the machines like the Tormach, this is useful for two reasons:
    - it's cheaper than the electronic setter, and needs no calibration or maintenance (assuming your height gage is good)
    - the Tormach machines don't have particularly large work envelopes, so cluttering up the bed with a pre-installed setter (like you'll often see in Haas VFs) would remove useful area
    Yes, you can use an ETS on a Tormach, if those aren't problems for you. I think Tormach even sells one.
    I understand the tts system fully. I have the surface plate by tormach and over 50+ tts to measure in it
    The new MX mills have a bt30 taper and the block for tts will not work for off line measuring of tools. It would take a surface plate with a taper, and I just don't see those very often and reason for the question. Oh and the offshoot discussion about the g37 command in pp and the reason they are developing it for use with ets. Combine the function in your cam post will make it highly automated and very useful. Imho and experience .

Downloads
    Uploads

I use the TTS JT1 chuck arbor as my tool 0 and all the tools are referenced off it using a vertex zero setter.It is relatively quick to use and by using the set z button I avoid writing the wrong length in by mistake.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ally-g View Post
    I use the TTS JT1 chuck arbor as my tool 0 and all the tools are referenced off it using a vertex zero setter.It is relatively quick to use and by using the set z button I avoid writing the wrong length in by mistake.
    I use a Z dial indicator as my tool 1, now I have it set to the height of my probe. I reset all my unused tool entries in the tool table to 9 inches so that if I call the wrong tool and nothing is in the height setting it doesnt crash the machine, I do this because at my age I screw up regularly and sometimes it gets expensive ha!!

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

@mountaindew I don't think you really need a taper; just a larger bored hole? (Or, for that matter, a larger vee block)
    If I had the space to spare, I would totally want an ETS, because it's a faster method when changing tools, and I do break or wear out tools with some frequency.
    But the bed just isn't big enough for that to be worth it, for me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    @mountaindew I don't think you really need a taper; just a larger bored hole? (Or, for that matter, a larger vee block)
    If I had the space to spare, I would totally want an ETS, because it's a faster method when changing tools, and I do break or wear out tools with some frequency.
    But the bed just isn't big enough for that to be worth it, for me.
    I was thinking taper tools are held by stud, referenced by taper, and driven by dogs. I looked and tormach sells a height setter "non electronic" for their bt30 system .
    It looks like a decent method to set taper tools referenced to it including a hamier or other probe . More or less same system as tts with plate and height gauge but the spindle is used as the holder and setter as gauge , pp tool table would work the same. And no ets plugged in and setting on table.

Surface plate and height gauge is kind of fiddly for setting tool heights. This strategy would also work with tts. And I like the idea of setting the numbers using the machines dro .

Downloads
    Uploads

I was thinking about a large straight hole in a granite block and use a couple of ground tool bits for the face surface of the BT 30 to sit on and that would clear the drive dogs, just a thought... Doesnt it indicate off the face surface rather than the taper?

I think indicating off a taper could be a real can of worms.............

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Most tapered tooling references off teh taper and teh guage line. The only other precision point of reference is teh tool fork slot. All you need to do presetting is a simple 7/24 taper adaptor. IF yous guys had did a simple Google search based on BT30 prestter you would see how it works. The taper adapater holds teh tool in reference and everything else works just like teh TTS Version does.

You can buy or simply build teh taper adapter. It has a 7/24 taper and there really is not a need for a guage line reference as long as teh hole is small enough to hold teh tool by teh taper only.

Install teh master tool and set to ZERO then reference all tools from teh master tool. Very simple to do.

Just a thought , (;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    Most tapered tooling references off teh taper and teh guage line. The only other precision point of reference is teh tool fork slot. All you need to do presetting is a simple 7/24 taper adaptor. IF yous guys had did a simple Google search based on BT30 prestter you would see how it works. The taper adapater holds teh tool in reference and everything else works just like teh TTS Version does.

You can buy or simply build teh taper adapter. It has a 7/24 taper and there really is not a need for a guage line reference as long as teh hole is small enough to hold teh tool by teh taper only.

Install teh master tool and set to ZERO then reference all tools from teh master tool. Very simple to do.

Just a thought , (;-) TP
    7/24 taper adapter the method you use?
    I understand all these strategies, mostly learning how people use them. As I mentioned before the tool setter tormach sells with the bt30 system looks like a nice way to use the machine dro to set tool heights with tts also. I find surface plate offline tool height setting a little fiddly and would like to have another option or 2.
    Btw no such thing as simple google search lol

Last edited by mountaindew; 12-29-2019 at 07:56 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

There are dozens of ways to do tool setting . Setting the tool in teh machine is a good way to use teh precision of teh machine to set tools.

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

HUM (;-) Simple Google search "BT30 presetter " BINGO, example and answer.

(;-) TP

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123