PathPilot Y soft limits "capping at -9.5000000"

Thread: PathPilot Y soft limits "capping at -9.5000000"

Downloads
    Uploads

Default PathPilot Y soft limits "capping at -9.5000000"

Good evening all,
    I have the need to get that little bit more travel out of my Y axis. I have an 1100s3 running PathPilot 2.2.4.
    In doing research on how to, I found this thread from 2015 - https://www.cnczone.com/forums/torma...ft-limits.html
    However, when attempting to make the change ADMIN SET_Y_LIMIT x.x, I get the nanny interfering - "Soft limit is out of range for axis, capping at -9.5000000"

Is there a way to dig in and adjust the capping range? I need 10" and it's there by just moving the rear Y limit block alone but I need PP to cooperate.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PathPilot Y soft limits "capping at -9.5000000"

I noticed that and reported the change in behavior to Tormach. I expect it will be fixed in the next release.
    An option might be to roll back to a previous version or two where it will let you increase Y, then update back to 2.2.4 and see if the setting sticks. I've not tried this so I can't guarantee it will work.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 74BurkeMVN View Post
    Good evening all,
    I have the need to get that little bit more travel out of my Y axis. I have an 1100s3 running PathPilot 2.2.4.
    In doing research on how to, I found this thread from 2015 - https://www.cnczone.com/forums/torma...ft-limits.html
    However, when attempting to make the change ADMIN SET_Y_LIMIT x.x, I get the nanny interfering - "Soft limit is out of range for axis, capping at -9.5000000"

Is there a way to dig in and adjust the capping range? I need 10" and it's there by just moving the rear Y limit block alone but I need PP to cooperate.

I have an 1100 s3 and the Y limit is set at 10.125 and has been for several releases, this doesnt seem to change when installing a new release, or it hasnt in my case, I use the latest release to date.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys, I think the oldest version I have is 2.0 on the stick they sent. I'll give it a try.

Downloads
    Uploads

The axis travel value is found in teh INI file for the specific model. PP will not let you set teh softlimits beyond that value. FOR instance if the travel limit is set to 9.5 it will not let you set the softlimit to 10 as it would exceed the max travel limit.

You can change the value in your INI file. BUT each time you update PP you will have to reset that value.

Also note that IF you create an error in doing that PP may not boot back up and then you have to FIX what ever error you created before it will boot. OR completely reload PP and start over.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

I have 2.2.4 installed, travel limits specified for the machine are 9.5Y 18X, I have the soft limits set at 10.125 Y 19.25 X. This hasnt changed over the last few updates, I set them at a aproximatly 2.0, just checked them and the soft limits are the same as what I set them.

On a side note, the 5300 rpm, which is actual, it wont let me use that figure anymore in the .ini file, shows up red in the rpm window now, this did work by changing it in the .ini file up until the last update.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

I have never tried changing the soft limit via the ADMIN command, only via the .ini file, but could it be that the range is set to a positive value while PathPilot expects a negative range for Y axis? Just a suggestion, no idea if it is applicable.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 74BurkeMVN View Post
    Thanks guys, I think the oldest version I have is 2.0 on the stick they sent. I'll give it a try.
    Versions prior to the current release are available on the their website.
    https://www.tormach.com/support/soft...release-notes/

Downloads
    Uploads

When setting Y it has to be a negative value. X is a positive value.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the sweet tips everyone!
    I went to "previous versions" on the update screen, and went back to 2.0. From there I did a bunch of fiddling finding the actual travel limits and ended up adjusting the Y home block, and both X blocks. I kept some buffer beyond the limit switches and ended up with X 18.600" and Y 10.125".
    Once set, I went back to "previous versions" on the update screen and loaded up v2.2.4 again.

Downloads
    Uploads

You do have to be careful about which copy of teh ini you are working with. There is teh Current version, the fallback version and teh last 2 updated versions on teh drive. And there are several ini files per setup teh base ini the ini and teh specific ini and many section based on teh Tormach model numbers.

I just checked here again and it will not let me set teh softlimits beyond teh Max travel values specified in teh INI.

V2.2.4

Just a thought. (;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    You do have to be careful about which copy of teh ini you are working with. There is teh Current version, the fallback version and teh last 2 updated versions on teh drive. And there are several ini files per setup teh base ini the ini and teh specific ini and many section based on teh Tormach model numbers.

I just checked here again and it will not let me set teh softlimits beyond teh Max travel values specified in teh INI.

V2.2.4

Just a thought. (;-) TP
    I appreciate the warning and you probably have more knowledge/experience with the PathPilot software. However, I didn't change values in the .ini. I changed them from the MDI interface using ADMIN commands. Perhaps these in turn modify .ini files behind the scenes. I'm not exactly sure where it gets modified, but somewhere along the evolution of PP 2.x, software engineers "locked out" the ability to extend the travel range beyond the advertised 18"X & 9.5"Y with the "capping" nanny.
    However, as I mentioned and others suggested, if you revert to a previous version, make the MDI/ADMIN changes, then go back to the current version (2.2.4?), the ADMIN SET_Y_LIMIT -x.xx stays as configured in the previous software version. As long as I was in the weeds doing this, I went ahead and took an additional 0.600" in X travel.
    I've been running my machine all afternoon enjoying the single setup with the extra bit of Y I needed with no issues. All 0.625" of my Y travel came from moving the Y home limit block toward the operator as far as it would go. I found the rearward Y limit block is already beyond the "soft" limit I set of -10.125 so I left it there.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post

V2.2.4

Just a thought. (;-) TP
    This is good to know, I set my limits many updates back and they havent changed with new updates............

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

I reset the machine today and it wouldnt take the x0y0g0 command to go to the preset center position, error message was that it would exceed the max travel limits of the machine. This post came to mind so I reset it back to 2.0 and still had the same problem, I tried several versions and still had the problem, I finally reinstalled the 2.2.4 and it started working again with the extended limits?? I dont know whats going on or why it would change?
    I have the job done so I am going into the .ini file to see if I can just modify those lines to read the same as soft limits are set to.

I also have trouble with the probe settings, I remove the probe, install the shorting jumper and still get the "probe trip error" at the beginning of a program for no reason, that one is irritating too..........

I guess it is typical software updates, fix a problem or two and create a couple more that you didnt have before??

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

With my machine working well with the new extended limits on 2.2.4, I'm nervous to update the software with the latest release 2.3.6. Anyone else with extended travel limits update software with no ill effect (losing the extended limits)?

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I reset the machine today and it wouldnt take the x0y0g0 command to go to the preset center position, error message was that it would exceed the max travel limits of the machine. This post came to mind so I reset it back to 2.0 and still had the same problem, I tried several versions and still had the problem, I finally reinstalled the 2.2.4 and it started working again with the extended limits?? I dont know whats going on or why it would change?
    I have the job done so I am going into the .ini file to see if I can just modify those lines to read the same as soft limits are set to.

I also have trouble with the probe settings, I remove the probe, install the shorting jumper and still get the "probe trip error" at the beginning of a program for no reason, that one is irritating too..........

I guess it is typical software updates, fix a problem or two and create a couple more that you didnt have before??

Downloads
    Uploads

I am going to go back to 2.1.6, that one worked fine. The newer versions cause a probe trip error that stops the program at random times.
    I do not have the noise suppressors installed so that may be causing the trip at the start and mid program problems.
    I also had the problem of travel limits with it, I went back to 2.2.4 because of it.
    I did modify the .ini file max travel limits for x and y to read what I had set the limits (2.3.6) to in the earlier versions.

At times I have a problem copying files from the files to the main page, the "copy to" button just isnt there to copy files to the main page, this only happens sporadically?? A reboot fixes it, the new version has a button in the line below the files window that will let me copy files without rebooting PP.

I did like the adjustable limits on feedrate and spindle being increased to 200%.

All in all though I really like PathPilot, it has never made an erroneous move machining a program except for the probing error that stops the program, couldnt say the same for Mach 3.........

- - - Updated - - -

mike sr