Pathpilot probe error mesage

Thread: Pathpilot probe error mesage

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pathpilot probe error mesage

i use a converted Renishaw manual probe with an interface, lately I have been getting an error that there was a probe trip during a non probe operation, this stops the machine during machining and gives this error. I usually just unplug the probe and put it back in the tool rack and it has been fine doing it this way for months at least. I was wondering if anyone has any insight on this? I made a shorting plug and when the probe is removed I install the shorting plug and all is fine, it is just an extra step that really shouldnt be needed.

I am using the latest version of Pathpilot and I am thinking maybe they added this error message in the latest version?
    I would think when I am not on the probe screen I wouldnt get this error message.

Similar Threads:
    mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Pathpilot probe error mesage

Are you saying the controller trips when no probe is attached?

If so, then the connection or wiring is loose somewhere. It may be the connector on the mill, it may be the wiring harness inside the mill, or it may be the cable from the mill to the controller.
    Make sure everything is tight and snug and there are no loose wires anywhere.

Downloads
    Uploads

I do use the Renishaw controller ahead of the probe input, it does false trip when the probe isnt connected, but hasnt been a problem, here lately when it gives a input pulse it stops the machine and gives an error while machining a part. I can see it giving an error when the probing page is selected but it isnt, I am on the main window machining a part, I just never noticed this before.

I made up a shorting plug to use when the probe isnt in use, the probe is relatively large and heavy so I like to put it back in the rack on the other side of the machine when not in use.

thanks for the input.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Are you saying the controller trips when no probe is attached? yes

If so, then the connection or wiring is loose somewhere. It may be the connector on the mill, it may be the wiring harness inside the mill, or it may be the cable from the mill to the controller.
    Make sure everything is tight and snug and there are no loose wires anywhere.
    thanks

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Is it possible (likely?) that the probe is tripping due to vibration? Some Renishaw units such as the MP3 have a tension adjustment that controls how firmly the probe seats on its contacts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Is it possible (likely?) that the probe is tripping due to vibration? Some Renishaw units such as the MP3 have a tension adjustment that controls how firmly the probe seats on its contacts.
    The probe is disconnected , it is the MI 8 interface that is tripping with an open input, which may be normal as nothing is connected.
    A shorting plug cures the problem when the probe is disconnected.

I didnt need to do this in the past, just wondering why it errors out and shuts the machine down when on the main window when machining a part.

I will have to use the shorting plug or leave the probe plugged in and make a holder for it on the right side of the machine.
    It may have always been this way and I am just now noticing it??

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    It may have always been this way and I am just now noticing it??
    I thought it had been this way for some time but testing through a few different versions I couldn't reproduce it with V2.1.6 or any earlier version, but does work this way with V2.2.1. So unless I screwed up it looks like it may have been introduced with V2.2.0.
    I would have expected the Renishaw interface to have a reasonable design margin (just my expectations) so I would tend towards some kind of electromagnetic interference issue. Perhaps a ground problem or maybe a welder in the vicinity?
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

I too would have expected a better design from Renishaw but it is never a great idea to leave inputs floating in a possibly high EMI environment.

Downloads
    Uploads

The interface calls for 15 to 30 vdc, I am running it on 12vdc from the Tormach, that could be the problem as well.
    The shorting plug fixes the problem, it s just an extra step.

I agree, open inputs are never good! I do have a tig rig in the vicinity but never use it when machining, its been my experience that HF and computers dont mix well at all.

I think its something I will have to do a bit differently.......

thanks KStrauss
    thanks Step

for your input and help!

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

If you think that improper input voltage is the issue you could add a DC-DC converter to produce 24 volts (or whatever) from the 12-volt feed. They're cheap and small. See, for example, https://www.amazon.com/eBoot-Convert...dp/B06XWSV89D/ You don't need five of them but I didn't immediately find a price for one.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    The interface calls for 15 to 30 vdc, I am running it on 12vdc from the Tormach, that could be the problem as well.
    Aha! As I mentioned "I would have expected the Renishaw interface to have a reasonable design margin", by that I meant that I really wouldn't have expected any design issues, but running it below its recommended minimum input voltage could very easily cause unexpected behaviour.
    I agree with kstraus, I would try a DC-DC converter - there are no guarantees but I'd certainly give it a try. However, I developed switched mode power supplies for 20 years so I just couldn't hang a Renishaw interface on a $2.40 power supply! Apart from simply going against my principles I'd be concerned about injecting noise into the Renishaw interface and even backwards into the Tormach. You could just say I'm overly cautious
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

The false halt happens when the probe is disconnected.
    There is zero chance that that problem happens because of the voltage difference.
    It's much more likely that the problem is either loose wiring, or that the input really is "floating" and if you enable probes, you have to keep a probe connected, which would be a poor design.
    (FWIW, I keep my ITTP probe always connected, and have a 3D printed holder for it inside the enclosure towards the top, that keeps it out of the worst coolant/chip spray. I have never seen a false stop.)