PathPilot Software Update – v2.2.0 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PathPilot Software Update – v2.2.0

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PathPilot Software Update – v2.2.0

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Attachment 419216
    Just out of interest I implemented a Block Delete button (BG button to the right of Cycle Start) and tested the functionality.
    Step, would you be willing to share some insight as to how you implemented that BLOCKDELETE addition?
    BLOCKDELETE is one of the features I sorely miss in PathPilot.

I ALWAYS re-gen a program after BLOCKDELETE is turned on anyway.
    Mach3 did it automatically.
    Seems mildly suicidal not to, IMHO.

Thanks,
    SquibLoad

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SquibLoad View Post
    Step, would you be willing to share some insight as to how you implemented that BLOCKDELETE addition?
    BLOCKDELETE is one of the features I sorely miss in PathPilot.

I ALWAYS re-gen a program after BLOCKDELETE is turned on anyway.
    Mach3 did it automatically.
    Seems mildly suicidal not to, IMHO.

Thanks,
    SquibLoad
    It’s not that difficult to implement but you need to know your way around PathPilot. Just to give you an idea:

Create the button images (Photoshop)
    Add the button to the Glade configuration.
    Add the button handler to enable/disable the feature.
    Configure the button to ignore input when a program is running.
    Add code to the periodic routine to show the current button state.
    Add keyboard shortcut.

This will need to be added again after each new PathPilot update.

Maybe I’m missing something, but if the operator knows whether the block of code should be executed before starting the program wouldn’t it be easier (and possibly safer) to create 2 separate program files: one including the code block and a second without?

I thought block-delete was included in the Tormach bug/feature list they used to maintain on the Web - but I don't seem to be able to find it. Has it been removed or does someone know where to find it?
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe I’m missing something, but if the operator knows whether the block of code should be executed before starting the program wouldn’t it be easier (and possibly safer) to create 2 separate program files: p
    I have a couple thousand files which is messy enough as it is , so adding more isn't very desirable . I use a m98 to skip down the program where needed and edit a / in front of the m98 when I don't need to jump through the code
    I've tried the alt-m-/ shortcut which works with linuxcnc but it doesn't seem to work with pathpilot . I'd be good without a button if the keyboard short cut would work

Downloads
    Uploads

I thought block-delete was included in the Tormach bug/feature list they used to maintain on the Web - but I don't seem to be able to find it. Has it been removed or does someone know where to find it?
    Step
    It is bug/feature request #925 from 2015:
    "bug #925 Mill/Lathe - G code interpreter: Block Delete not supported open 2015-05-26"
    (see https://web.archive.org/web/20160303...ng.html#issues)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    It is bug/feature request #925 from 2015:
    "bug #925 Mill/Lathe - G code interpreter: Block Delete not supported open 2015-05-26"
    (see https://web.archive.org/web/20160303...ng.html#issues)
    That is likely my submission.
    During a recent conversation I was informed that Tormach has no plan to implement BLOCKDELETE at this time.
    I hope that changes at some point.

Step, thank you for the insight and roadmap.
    I'll investigate.

Downloads
    Uploads

Step, thank you for the insight and roadmap.
    I'll investigate.
    I have an idea for a simpler solution but I won't have chance to try it until the weekend. I'll let you know how it works out.
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

During a recent conversation I was informed that Tormach has no plan to implement BLOCKDELETE at this time.
    Some good news, and some not so good news. I have a new version of the necessary code that is much simpler to install, and appears to work exactly as I would expect with PP Version 2.1.x. Unfortunately, from what I can see, PP Version 2.2.x appears to have a problem with the block delete functionality. Dummy test code with just a few axis moves works ok, but with “real” programs PP complains about an invalid ‘-‘ character and stops at the first line containing M6, regardless of whether the program contains blocks preceded with the ‘/’ character or even none at all.
    I removed my code and just inserted one instruction to initialize PP with block delete disabled (normally block delete is enabled) and the behaviour was identical.
    I’ll write to Tormach, but as they don’t support block delete they may not be too interested in fixing the issue!
    What versions are you all using?
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

I use 2.14 and 16 . . Previously you mentioned adding the short keys to the button , what are the short keys , or is it a bit more code than just adding hotkeys
    the more people that request it then the chances are better of them considering it . There are at least 3 people on this thread alone who would like to have that option , and I'm sure there are more . I've put in a request for that and a few other things but after dealing with support on a couple of things I've lost optimism , I'm still hopeful they address them

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    I use 2.14 and 16 . . Previously you mentioned adding the short keys to the button , what are the short keys , or is it a bit more code than just adding hotkeys
    the more people that request it then the chances are better of them considering it . There are at least 3 people on this thread alone who would like to have that option , and I'm sure there are more . I've put in a request for that and a few other things but after dealing with support on a couple of things I've lost optimism , I'm still hopeful they address them
    There are a few factors to consider, like how to identify whether block delete is active or not? I'll post my software tomorrow (its getting late over here now). As I said, it will work for you up to 2.1.6 and we can see how Tormach respond to my e-mail.
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

Default PathPilot Software Update – v2.2.0

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    I use 2.14 and 16 . .
    As promised the code is attached for PathPilot V2.1.x. I’ve tested with V2.1.4, V2.1.5 and V2.1.6 but I see no reason it wouldn’t work for earlier versions.
    The keyboard shortcut Alt+b or Alt+B toggles between block-delete enabled/disabled and the current state is indicated by a LED.

PathPilot Software Update – v2.2.0-block_delete_led-jpg

The installation consists of copying one file to the ~/tmc/python/ directory and adding just 2 lines of code to a file. Instructions are included in the zip file. Make sure to backup your settings before modifying any code.

Please give it a try if this feature is of interest, but at your own risk. I can take no responsibility for any consequential losses!

The cool news is that Tormach have explained the issue with V2.2.x versions and I have now successfully tested the attached block-delete with V2.2.2. They hope the next PP release will behave correctly.

At this point I must praise Tormach for their blazing responses. I wrote them yesterday, Sunday, and received a personal response the same day (yes Sunday!). I received a follow-up e-mail explaining the cause of the issue today at around 10:30am (Wisconsin time). Now that’s a great response for a feature they don’t even support!
    Good luck
    Step

EDIT I received a PM from a member concerned about the use of v2.2.x. The problem I mentioned earlier only occurs if the block-delete setting is changed. The standard PathPilot installation does NOT exhibit this problem.
    Ste

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by TurboStep; 05-14-2019 at 03:17 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

awesome , thank you I'll be testing this pretty quickly , just need to get a bunch of work out of the way first

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12