File editing - Save as... new name

Thread: File editing - Save as... new name

Downloads
    Uploads

Default File editing - Save as... new name

I'm missing something simple
    Yesterday I needed to make a slightly modified part and I opened the file in PP, then went to edit the file and wanted to save it as a new name. The save as window doesn't seem to allow me to actually change the name of the file, looks like I can change the location to save it but I can't find how to change the name. I did manage to get a little text window to pop up in the lower right corner and type into it but when I hit enter nothing actually happened.
    Ended up just hitting save and it made it "untitled " and then changed the name (rename) in PP and then open but that's obviously not right.
    So what am I missing?
    Thanks
    M

Similar Threads:

Default Re: File editing - Save as... new name

What version of PP are you using?

There's multiple ways to create a copy of a file with a new name, depends on where you're starting from.

On the File tab, did you click Conv Edit button or the Edit G-Code button? Edit G-Code will run the gedit editor on your file. From there can you use the File menu to choose Save As. Conv Edit will bring up a modal dialog which has a separate Save As button.

v2.1.4 added cut/copy/paste to the File tab. So now you can select a file, copy & paste it, and it creates a copy of the file for you with a generated name. Then click Rename on the copy and you've got a new file.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm running 2.xxx (i'll have to check the exact version) and brought up the file in the editor via the "Edit g-code" button which launches gedit (I guess)
    Problem occurs when I select the save as option in the file menu it doesn't give me a way of changing the file name.
    Not sure how to screen cap on the system so I might have to take a picture of the screen
    M

I think what you're describing was occurring in the very early 2.0.1 versions or close to there.

Upgrade to v2.1.4 and it works as you think it should. Plus you get File tab cut/copy/paste and a whole bunch of other fixes and enhancements.

Downloads
    Uploads

Been avoiding the update but sounds like I need to
    Thanks
    M