Is PP 2+ worth it?

Thread: Is PP 2+ worth it?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Is PP 2+ worth it?

Hi all,

Haven't used my Tormach in quite a while, so long in fact that I had to change the battery on the motherboard as it had sunk to 0.68v and wouldn't retain the clock/date settings. I'm still on PP 1.8X and downloaded the latest 1.9X from Tormach's website, but so far haven't installed it. Is PP 2.X worth the hassle to upgrade to?

Cheers!
    ken

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Is PP 2+ worth it?

As long as 1.9 works for you, then keep using that.
    If you ever run into trouble, or need to add a new peripheral, though, you'll need to upgrade.
    For now, that upgrade is just the cost of the USB media to get the software; I have no idea whether this will be true forever.

I'd suggest browsing the release note PDFs for the 2.x releases on the web site. That would give you a good source of what's been fixed and what new features there are (which you may or may not value).

https://www.tormach.com/support/soft...tes-and-notes/

Keep in mind that most of the issues fixed in various 2.x releases were also problems that were present in 1.9.x

Downloads
    Uploads

I certainly don't mind spending twenty five bucks, but if all I do is introduce new problems ( a la Microsoft) then I'd rather not have the hassle. I was hoping for a resounding Yes or no.

Downloads
    Uploads

The safest thing to do is to buy the 2.0 upgrade, so you have it, no matter what happens in the future.
    Then, don't apply it, unless you run into significant problems with your current version!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    The safest thing to do is to buy the 2.0 upgrade, so you have it, no matter what happens in the future.
    Then, don't apply it, unless you run into significant problems with your current version!
    I agree, having done just that.

And did the upgrade, whenever it was that the latest 2.1.2 or 3 came out. Upgrade was worth it. It's still a good idea to let Tormach release a few versions of a major update before going there. Once things stabilize a bit, do it. Remember the 1.9.6 fiasco.

Downloads
    Uploads

For a beginner like me, the 2.1.x versions with the popups about what each button does was a really nice add. 2.1.4 fixed a lot of bugs for me. I like it so far. For $20, I think it was worth it.

Jason --CNC Newbie--