Need Help! Changing Max Y Axis Travel

Thread: Changing Max Y Axis Travel

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Changing Max Y Axis Travel

How to adjust PathPilot's max Y Axis? Due to an issue I have with a device sticking out to far on the back of my table I need to adjust my max Y axis from 11" to 10.5". I've heard where folks have adjusted this to "gain" a little bit of travel so I figured you could do it in the opposite direction as well.

Tormach 1100M - Current version of PP

Similar Threads:
    Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Changing Max Y Axis Travel

I don't know of a PP software setting that sets limits on x,y
    The Y axis Limit switch bumpers can be adjusted a little. If more adjustment is required then you could make a new longer block to trip y limit switch 1" early of standard.

Downloads
    Uploads

I believe that Step gave the solution in 2015 for using the ADMIN commands from the MDI. I just checked and they don't appear to be in the current manual. I have not tried this and my machine is now shutdown so use at your own risk.

The commands have just been implemented (I think this was new in 1.9.2). They're ADMIN commands but not too difficult:
    ADMIN SET_X_LIMIT value
    ADMIN SET_Y_LIMIT value
    Just replace value with the new distance e.g. ADMIN SET_Y_LIMIT -9.8
    The Y configuration uses a negative value so the distance must also be negative. The values need to be specified in inches regardless of the G20/G21 setting.
    The standard values are 18 for X and -9.5 for Y so use this as a basis for tests.
    Step

Last edited by kstrauss; 08-29-2018 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Typo correction

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I believe that Step gave the solution in 2015 for using the ADMIN commands from the MDI. I just checked and they don't appear to be in the current manual. I have not tried this and my machine is now shutdown so use at your own risk.

The commands have just been implemented (I think this was new in 1.9.2). They're ADMIN commands but not too difficult:
    ADMIN SET_X_LIMIT value
    ADMIN SET_Y_LIMIT value
    The Y configuration uses a negative value so the distance must also be negative. The values need to be specified in inches regardless of the G20/G21 setting.
    The standard values are 18 for X and -9.5 for Y so use this as a basis for tests.
    Step
    Is this a soft limit or something? Does it actually limit the travel of the machine axis? I have a green rectangle displayed on lcd screen that shows the table limits and warns me if code runs into them based on position of g54-g59, but does nothing to stop me from hitting the limits switches when jogging!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post

ADMIN SET_X_LIMIT value
    ADMIN SET_Y_LIMIT value
    Step
    Got it working last night. Was pretty easy once I set the "right" freaking axis. Mental note to self.... do not set the X axis at -10.5 and expect good results. Was actually super easy once I figured it out.

Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I am away today so I can't test.
    I assumed that the command sets the same soft limits which normally protect me from hitting the limit switches when jogging or running a program.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Is this a soft limit or something? Does it actually limit the travel of the machine axis? I have a green rectangle displayed on lcd screen that shows the table limits and warns me if code runs into them based on position of g54-g59, but does nothing to stop me from hitting the limits switches when jogging!
    When the machine is homed it stops you from jogging into any limit switches BUT if not homed you will hit a switch. The soft limits can be directly set in the ini file but will be overridden if you do an update.

or has been said using ADMIN SET_X_LIMIT and a new distance value

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    When the machine is homed it stops you from jogging into any limit switches BUT if not homed you will hit a switch. The soft limits can be directly set in the ini file but will be overridden if you do an update.

or has been said using ADMIN SET_X_LIMIT and a new distance value
    cool, I guess I had a different Idea on how this worked and it still bumps switches, just no error requiring the machine to be homed again.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    cool, I guess I had a different Idea on how this worked and it still bumps switches, just no error requiring the machine to be homed again.
    In settings make sure limit switches box is checked, the soft limits are set off them.

mike sr