Pathpilot USB port issues

Thread: Pathpilot USB port issues

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pathpilot USB port issues

Circa 2013 controller that I upgraded to Pathpilot a couple years back. Recently have started having issues with the USB ports on the back of the computer. Initially I thought it was the touchscreen going south so took that out of the loop. Now have noticed that even the jog shuttle will stop working and sometimes work if I unplug/replug the connector and/or kind of wiggle the ports.

I've disassembled the computer and nothing really looks incorrect, ports feel like they're still solid onto the board.

So, looking for suggestions to buy new board or build a new smaller format controller that will accept the Mesa card. I use an SSD and never use the optical drive. Would love something 1/3rd the size.

Also open to suggestions on other items to check. Power supply going south possibly? Might I get away with a powered external USB hub? Is it just a matter of time before the box goes kaputt?

WW

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Pathpilot USB port issues

Could be oxide on the fingers on the USB connectors. Most USB connectors are fairly cheaply made and aren't rated for long life or many duty cycles.
    You might try with some flux or some contact cleaning spray, let it sit for a little bit, and then wash it out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you. Tried this early on thinking similar issues. Issue seems to simply be getting worse with time. Something is failing so I'd best be prepared.

WW

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Could be oxide on the fingers on the USB connectors. Most USB connectors are fairly cheaply made and aren't rated for long life or many duty cycles.
    You might try with some flux or some contact cleaning spray, let it sit for a little bit, and then wash it out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    Yeah I wanted a much smaller computer that I could mount with my monitor & keyboard. You can read here: New Controller For MY PCNC 1100 what I did.

This is much more computer than PP needs but I also run the desktop and other applications where the extra CPU power & RAM come in handy.
    Thank you for the link and for sharing. Sort of tempted to try and pull something similar off with one of their all in one touchscreens - thoughts on this? I have no need for the computer to do anything other than run PathPilot quite frankly.

WW

Downloads
    Uploads

Without wishing to hijack the thread to much I too would be interested in what rdsi thinks of the all in one touchscreen.I was interested in his new controller thread and this looks to be a very tidy way to go.Only needed to run machine .