Need Help! Pathpilot Upgrade Error

Thread: Pathpilot Upgrade Error

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pathpilot Upgrade Error

I was upgrading both my Tormach mill and lathe last weekend. The mill upgraded fine but I keep getting the attached error when I try to update the lathe. I called Tormach and they suggested it was either the hard drive or that I needed to make sure I plugged USB stick directly to the controller. I replaced the hard drive and plugged the stick in to the back side of the controller. I get the same error.
    Has anyone seen this before?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pathpilot Upgrade Error-20180503_125615-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Pathpilot Upgrade Error

Looks like a bad source disk. I don't think it has anything to do with the target disk/SSD.
    Try another USB connector on the same controller?
    If that still doesn't work, I'd ask for a new USB upgrade stick. (Or is this your own backup? Because if so... that'd be sad.)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Looks like a bad source disk. I don't think it has anything to do with the target disk/SSD.
    Try another USB connector on the same controller?
    If that still doesn't work, I'd ask for a new USB upgrade stick. (Or is this your own backup? Because if so... that'd be sad.)
    Thanks for the reply. The stick is the one I received from Tormach. Still sad. It is one of the first ones that came out when they announced the upgrade. I did try a couple of the USB ports on the controller but not all of them. Is it possible for one of the ports to be bad? And that I picked two of the the six?

Downloads
    Uploads

I got the same error (or smilar) when I tried to create an iso-file from the USB-stick for loading PP in a virtual machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

There are three kinds of bad with USB: mechanical connection, electrical routing (of the circuit boards) and software drivers.

Switching to another port solves problem 1 every time (unless the mechanical problem is in the stick itself.)
    Switching to another port that's "further away" (not just a direct neighbor) will typically change circumstances for problem 2. (But if it's a really cheap and bad motherboard, perhaps they're all poorly routed? But with USB 2, routing isn't as much a problem as USB 3.)
    For software drivers, there's always the same software on the stick you're booting, and the BIOS you're using. If you want to change that around, you'll have to see whether there's a BIOS update, or some USB-related BIOS configurations you can change.

Btw: The R-drive interface looks interesting, as it's talking about "D:" -- I wonder if it's using FreeDOS or something, rather than a Linux variant? This "shouldn't" matter at the file integrity level, but it does affect which device drivers are used. (And DOS generally uses the BIOS, rather than replace with its own, like Windows and Linux do.)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Turns out it was a bad USB stick. Tormach sent a new one and I was able to update with no problems.