No Ethernet Connection Detected - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Ethernet Connection Detected

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: No Ethernet Connection Detected

Mine did this after running fine for months. Tormach suggested moving the Mesa card to another slot. Didn't help. Second suggestion was to restore the partition. That worked, but had to reenter my tool table.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKDM View Post
    Mine did this after running fine for months. Tormach suggested moving the Mesa card to another slot. Didn't help. Second suggestion was to restore the partition. That worked, but had to reenter my tool table.
    This is a brand new machine out of he crate. Nothing should be defective.

Not sure how I would restore the partition as it didn't seem to come with the restore disc its says it does in the documentation. Then the computer doesn't have a drive to put the restore diskinto either.

Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I would have them send you a usb stick with path pilot 2.0 install instructions. I have one that I purchased a few months ago to upgrade my recently replaced pp box. Might be handy of you have computer problems I guess. The directions or documentation for that also explains in good detail how to backup your controller settings. Could come in handy in future. I did this last week and when my new unit arrived Monday I had it up and running in a few minutes. Ran the 2,02 update, restored the backup I made of all my settings. Works great, now looking forward to a touch screen upgrade and also finish my network hardwire connections so I can get rid of the tennis shoe network I have been using.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    This is a brand new machine out of he crate. Nothing should be defective.

Not sure how I would restore the partition as it didn't seem to come with the restore disc its says it does in the documentation. Then the computer doesn't have a drive to put the restore diskinto either.
    Infant mortality is not uncommon in electronics. Mine worked initially and is 3mths old. No restore disk, no drive. Left shift on reboot, restore factory default. Worked for me, but if that didn't work, I expect they would replace hardware.

Infant mortality is not uncommon in electronics. Mine worked initially and is 3mths old. No restore disk, no drive. Left shift on reboot, restore factory default. Worked for me, but if that didn't work, I expect they would replace hardware.
    You know I hear that from time to time, but I spent nearly 30 years employed as a communications technician. 23 of those as the business owner and contractor's license holder and I just didn't see the failure rate to make that a completely accurate statement. I would occasionally see a batch of crap (Chinese power supply capacitors on computers a decade or so back for example) or a ****ty manufacturer, but across the spectrum of components I saw very little infant mortality. I installed and service a broad spectrum of equipment, ran tens (probably hundreds) of thousands of miles of wire, and networked, integrated, and interconnected a wide array of computing and simpler devices. Phone, network, access control, alarm, video, commercial and professional sound, etc. I'm not an electronics tech. I know the basics, and did some minor board level repairs, but if I had seen not uncommon component failures I'd have gone totally bonkers.

Its like when somebody tells me computer boards come loose all the time. Um, no. Not in my experience. Sure there were a batch of ****ty cases that weren't spaced right being sold to DIY builders in the mid 90s. The same cases that were stamped out of sheet with razor sharp edges not deburred. We nicknamed those sushi cases because they would turn your hands into chopped sushi if you weren't careful. When we had to build computers with those cases we bent the tabs so the cards would still seat properly, but by and large most name brand and off name brand computers shipped today DO NOT "arrive all the time with loose cards." Even computers from reputable rebuilders and remanufacturers just don't have those issues. Certainly its not "common." I've seen a few, but you have to remember that I've handled thousands and thousands of computers over the years. I've got several shelving units in my storage unit full of old computers just from my personal and business use I haven't gotten around to data wiping yet before recycling. Honestly, most "loose cards" I've seen were installed by third parties that were not who I would consider professionals. The closest thing we saw to "loose cards" that was not uncommon was the oxidation and conductivity issue with tin plated memory.

Regardless I'm still annoyed my system arrived not working, and I'm still annoyed Tormach sent me a message indicating they were over nighting a replacement and then shipped ground anyway.

Bob La Londe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    You know I hear that from time to time, but I spent nearly 30 years employed as a communications technician. 23 of those as the business owner and contractor's license holder and I just didn't see the failure rate to make that a completely accurate statement. I would occasionally see a batch of crap (Chinese power supply capacitors on computers a decade or so back for example) or a ****ty manufacturer, but across the spectrum of components I saw very little infant mortality. I installed and service a broad spectrum of equipment, ran tens (probably hundreds) of thousands of miles of wire, and networked, integrated, and interconnected a wide array of computing and simpler devices. Phone, network, access control, alarm, video, commercial and professional sound, etc. I'm not an electronics tech. I know the basics, and did some minor board level repairs, but if I had seen not uncommon component failures I'd have gone totally bonkers.

Its like when somebody tells me computer boards come loose all the time. Um, no. Not in my experience. Sure there were a batch of ****ty cases that weren't spaced right being sold to DIY builders in the mid 90s. The same cases that were stamped out of sheet with razor sharp edges not deburred. We nicknamed those sushi cases because they would turn your hands into chopped sushi if you weren't careful. When we had to build computers with those cases we bent the tabs so the cards would still seat properly, but by and large most name brand and off name brand computers shipped today DO NOT "arrive all the time with loose cards." Even computers from reputable rebuilders and remanufacturers just don't have those issues. Certainly its not "common." I've seen a few, but you have to remember that I've handled thousands and thousands of computers over the years. I've got several shelving units in my storage unit full of old computers just from my personal and business use I haven't gotten around to data wiping yet before recycling. Honestly, most "loose cards" I've seen were installed by third parties that were not who I would consider professionals. The closest thing we saw to "loose cards" that was not uncommon was the oxidation and conductivity issue with tin plated memory.

Regardless I'm still annoyed my system arrived not working, and I'm still annoyed Tormach sent me a message indicating they were over nighting a replacement and then shipped ground anyway.
    Spent 27yrs as an engineer, electronic and controls. One motor company I worked for had large cooled run-in rooms for their better product line to ensure against infant mortality. Since a lot of that product was military/aerospace, it was priced accordingly. The cheaper stuff that wasn't tested to that degree was "run-in" by the customer and was quickly replaced under warranty if it failed. BLDC motor electronics especially.

At any rate, I'm sure they will sort it out and make things right.

Spent 27yrs as an engineer, electronic and controls. One motor company I worked for had large cooled run-in rooms for their better product line to ensure against infant mortality. Since a lot of that product was military/aerospace, it was priced accordingly. The cheaper stuff that wasn't tested to that degree was "run-in" by the customer and was quickly replaced under warranty if it failed. BLDC motor electronics especially.

At any rate, I'm sure they will sort it out and make things right. <EVENTUALLY>

Used to be a people thought a good company was one that produced a very low percentage of product that didn't meet spec or failed. Now people think a good company is one that makes it right because they all produce a larger percentage of non-spec of failures now. (Actually there are still companies that produce a very low percentage of non-spec products.)

Bob La Londe

I have to make a correction. Closer to 40 than 30 years. I started installing satellite systems and phone systems when I was still in high school. Didn't even have a driver's license yet. Over 30 years as a full time professional. That's if you don't even count my phone system business I had before the local phone company hired me. Time flies when you're having fun.

Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

Personally, I would have stated in my first post that I have 40 years of experience with computers and this product and I checked the following problems........ with no solution.
    Not waste other peoples valuable time when they are trying to just help you with your problem. When as you stated above "Its like when somebody tells me computer boards come loose all the time. Um, no. Not in my experience." And you have 40 years of experience. Now that I know your experience level I would think you would be answering these questions not asking them Hope to see you helping others solve their cnc problems around here.

MountainDew, Does it work to challenge somebody to stay and help? Like the used car salesman that takes a parting shot at the mark walking away because he doesn't have anything to lose anyway. I'm afraid my first reaction to that sort of thing is to make sure anybody in ear shot knows that salesman has a problem. Then walk away. I don't think you really meant it that way, but its hard to tell from the tone of your typing. LOL.

I've found the Tormach forums here on CNC Zone to be markedly hostile to anything not "Yeah! All hail Tormach!" in the past. I've been reading this forum including the Tormach forums for years. I am actually quite surprised I didn't get more negative feedback from posting about my immediate problems from initial unboxing, and then about Tormach misinforming me about shipping. It seems this group has matured a bit since I first started reading it many years ago.

Wasting your time? I know a bit about computers and a bit about Tormach, but I've never run PathPilot and only played with LinuxCNC for a short time some years ago. I've only been playing with CNC machines for about 12 years. I appreciate most of your responses that are on the topic although other users actually provided more useful information.

ANNOUNCE PROUDLY TO THE WORLD. "I have a ton of experience with and I know a lot. Please help me." LOL. Really. You would have started a minor help request that way? That's hysterical. Ok, if it works for you.

Seriously though when it comes to professionally installing electronic components as part of a system we quickly stopped using any lines, models, or manufacturers who often release bad products. As a result I didn't see a lot of infant mortality. The time and labor to replace a bad component often out prices the cost of the component by an order of magnitude or two. Want a good example. Add a motion sensor to an alarm system and it costs $60-$100 for a $15-20 part. Replace that same motion senor because it failed due to infant mortality and it costs $200 or more when you add in travel time, time on site, stocking costs, and delays on other jobs because you aren't there. Substitute phone, camera, card reader, speaker, transmitter, or any other component and the numbers are different, but the math is the same. I've had a machine spread out taking up space and getting in the way in my machine room all week. I spent a good part of the weekend monkeying with a plug and play component and it delayed further work and assembly on the machine. Hmmm... should I blame the Mesa card or the PC or Tormach QC? Either way the math is the same.

I think that often CNC machine companies treat customers like end retail consumers. They can get away with a higher failure rate, but I'm not the typical average end retail consumer. If I report an issue I know there are other people who didn't. If two people report an issue I have to assume there a lot more who didn't. Even in this thread there are indications of similar problems with the few people who responded. Mine just happened to not be solvable with the "common" solutions. Something is bad.

I've made a business out of hobby machines. I started making parts with a Taig. Anybody who has a lot of hours with one and isn't a Taig fanboy knows they have their issues. I had hoped the Tormach would be ten times better experience to setup since its ten times the price. So far it appears better but any impartial observer has to admit an initial failure has to be a bit off putting.

Anyway, I'll stick around by my choosing, not because some used car salesman took a parting insult at me as I was walking away. LOL. I may help if I see something where I can and I may not. If you choose to be helpful in the future, Thank You. If not that's ok. I won't hold it against you.

Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

wow
    Simple we all read these forums. I try to use this a venue to learn new methods and how to adapt and over come problems. To be honest I didn't think I should post an answer because I understood well in advance your response would be like above. And I will be very surprise the day you post one single thing to help someone.

I only did it to help others that read these threads that actually need or want help, not just complain about something so stupid as infant mortality rate of a mesa card! Not even a product Tormach makes they only sell with their system. I could care less now what problems you have. I will grab my bag of donuts and set on sidelines with joey and watch you complain about everything and not help one single person on this site yet alone take or use any advice .

You can only be one of 3 things in life! part of the solution! part of the problem! or part of the landscape!

proof will be in your posts. will you complain or help!

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    wow
    Simple we all read these forums. I try to use this a venue to learn new methods and how to adapt and over come problems. To be honest I didn't think I should post an answer because I understood well in advance your response would be like above. And I will be very surprise the day you post one single thing to help someone.!
    Ok, so you really did mean it that way. I gave you the benefit if the doubt, but a "second" "last shot" is rare even for a used car salesman. Yeah Wow!

I wasn't arguing about infant mortality of a Mesa Card. Its quite clear it has some out of the gate if not out of the box failures. ie Infant mortality. Pretty hard to argue about facts. I was disputing the statement and inference that infant mortality is and should be expected and accepted as common place among products at large.

I actually do help people on lots of forums, but I am less and less inclined to offer any help on this one. Primarily because of you personally.

FYI: I've spent most of my professional life solving problems. Often solving problems other companies techs couldn't fix or didn't want to fix.

Last edited by Bob La Londe; 04-06-2018 at 08:18 PM.
    Bob La Londe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

During my first computer science classes at university, I was mesmerized by the high speed punch cards, but was less impressed to have to go into the basement and stand in line to retrieve a printout (they only had one printer in the building). LOL

As I indicated above, sure there are companies that produce (near) perfect products - but they don't sell at Tormach prices.

During my first computer science classes at university, I was mesmerized by the high speed punch cards, but was less impressed to have to go into the basement and stand in line to retrieve a printout (they only had one printer in the building). LOL

As I indicated above, sure there are companies that produce (near) perfect products - but they don't sell at Tormach prices.
    I don't know how to quantify that. I do know I installed among other things thousands of motion sensors and tens of thousands or magnetic reed switches over the decades. Very few failures, and lightning strikes account for most of them. Some very cheap products I can think have had as little as one or two in 20-30 years. I don't think I've ever had an electric motor or even a motor speed controller prematurely fail unless there was a cause.

Bob La Londe

Yesterday late the "new" controller arrived. I debated installing it or waiting until Monday.

I decided to slap the new computer controller in the machine. When I opened the box I was please to see something that hadn't come with the first one. A USB drive labeled PathPilot. It also came with a DVD-ROM drive installed. Kind of redundant since they supplied PathPilot on a thumb drive.

I noticed the plastic bag had also obviously been crumpled and uncrumpled around a machine more than once or twice. As I took it out of the box I noticed it rattled like there were loose screws bouncing around inside.
    Sigh! The mother board was loose and only two of the six mounting screws were still barely holding it in place. I took it all apart and found a SATA cable had at some point had the plug pulled apart and then stuffed back together to the DVD ROM drive.

I found at some point one of the mother board standoffs had been cross threaded.

The case showed signs of wear. Lots of scratches along the bottom of the front plastic cover. A couple light ones on the metal painted surfaces.

Still, I finally got it tore apart, loose screws found (only two of the missing four) and reassembled. I had a computer with an unused SATA cable on the shelf, and I have a whole bunch of misc computer case screws in my desk.

ITS ALIVE.

The controller had previously been setup for a PCNC1100, so it booted right into the operation screens. Hopefully this controller is well burned in and has passed the time period for that "infant mortality" I was told is so common. LOL.

I jogged the machine, purged the oiler, tested the homing, and spun the spindle both manually and under machine control. Now its shut down and its time for a late lunch.

After lunch I'll change the impellor on the 50 horse on my smaller boat.

Tomorrow I may install the power draw bar.

Bob La Londe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/torma...r-finding.html

This was my similar dealings with the MESA card and the resolution. Kinda interesting.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by mxwrench View Post
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/torma...r-finding.html

This was my similar dealings with the MESA card and the resolution. Kinda interesting.

Cheers!

Thanks. They resolved mine (sorta) by sending me a used replacement computer with card. It had screws rattling around in the case when it arrived, and when I opened it up to take care of that I found a SATA cable that had been pulled apart and sort of stuffed back together. See my latest post in the thread Little Things. I wonder if the used self repair required replacement computer is related to the tool height issue on tool changes.

Bob La Londe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12