How to best add intermittent air burst

Thread: How to best add intermittent air burst

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to best add intermittent air burst

I'd like to add an intermittent air burst, that blows for about 0.7 seconds every 5 seconds of cutting. Ideally, without stopping motion. I imagine I'll use an air control solenoid on a separate feeder hose from my compressor (which also feeds the power drawbar.)

With the Tormach USB I/O board, I could set this up with M codes, except I imagine I'd have to program the M codes manually, and I'd have to figure out where in each G code movement would be the appropriate time. Not great!

I guess there are three questions here:

1) How do I map the post processors "air blast" feature to a particular M code?
    2) Could I program the I/O board to do the intermittent bursts for me? Or perhaps hook up some 555 timer monstrosity that is in turn triggered by the USB I/O M-code?
    3) Or is there some way to hook into the PathPilot / LinuxCNC setup to generate the appropriate pulses? (I wouldn't need the Tormach I/O for this; I could do my own then, based on an Arduino or Teensy or something.)

I poked around in the PathPilot code a bit, and I found the "schnozz" module which controls the smart-cool; it seems to be a convenient way of learning things I'd like to do. (Also, I'm glad to see that SmartCool uses Dynamixel servomotors, which I've used for several robotics projects!)
    But how do I best learn how to add modules to PathPilot? How do I get it to load my module? How do the modules communicate? Is there some hacker's guide or something somewhere?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to best add intermittent air burst

PP is a heavily modified version of linuxcnc. You can learn all about it here: LinuxCNC

If it were me, I'd bite the bullet and get Smartcool. I have it and absolutely love it. Being someone who has hacked the crap out of PP, I still think its worth the high price tag.

Tormach PCNC 1100 Series 3 w/ Rapid Turn, Fusion 360

Downloads
    Uploads

I've certainly eyed the smartcool, too :-)
    That being said, I'd love to understand more about what vectors there exist for hacking PP.
    For example, is there a "user plugins" folder where scripts are loaded, so I don't have to patch the PP after each version update?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    For example, is there a "user plugins" folder where scripts are loaded, so I don't have to patch the PP after each version update?
    I wish. I've asked for it but its fallen upon deaf ears.

Tormach PCNC 1100 Series 3 w/ Rapid Turn, Fusion 360