New Controller For MY PCNC 1100 - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Controller For MY PCNC 1100

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New Controller For MY PCNC 1100

Ok - that did the trick. Notes for anyone else that I didn't see here..
    - Jumper w6 on the Mesa board needs moved to get the proper eProm IP address. (my final issue..well, so far ;-)
    - A standard Cat5/6 cable is used - with no switch involved - straight connection from controller to board.
    - You'll need a wall wart or similar to get the board the 5v needed for power. I used the authors idea and picked up the AC to DC DIN-Rail Power Supply he linked.

On to tweaking...

Thank you!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New Controller For MY PCNC 1100

So I finally had the time to start this upgrade (been following for awhile) but I’m running into an issue. During startup I keep getting the “Attempting communication with 1100-3-7I92 machine. Check machine power and canceling to controller.” I’ve tried both ports on the 7i92 with the same results. The only difference I’m seeing from others on here is the part number for my controller (30162 Ver 2.0 Rev 5). Does anyone else here have the controller? Any ideas what I may be missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by andarxx; 07-20-2019 at 06:44 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by andarxx View Post
    “Attempting communication with 1100-3-7I92 machine. Check machine power and canceling to controller.”
    You typically get that message if your IP addresses don't match. It has nothing to do with the BOB or even it it's plug in or not.
    As mentioned check all the MESA jumper positions:

Jumpers W5 & W6 control the IP address - your probably want the "Fixed From EPROM" position (default 10.10.10.10).
    Jumpers W3 & W4 control Pins 22 - 25. If enabled these pins are set to +5V - they need to be disabled so the pins are at ground.
    Jumper W1 must be set for 5V I/O tolerance.

If your using the Shuttle computer you need to be plugged into port 1 - left hand port when viewing them from the back. Also, you must setup the LAN port as explained.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    You typically get that message if your IP addresses don't match. It has nothing to do with the BOB or even it it's plug in or not.
    As mentioned check all the MESA jumper positions:

Jumpers W5 & W6 control the IP address - your probably want the "Fixed From EPROM" position (default 10.10.10.10).
    Jumpers W3 & W4 control Pins 22 - 25. If enabled these pins are set to +5V - they need to be disabled so the pins are at ground.
    Jumper W1 must be set for 5V I/O tolerance.

If your using the Shuttle computer you need to be plugged into port 1 - left hand port when viewing them from the back. Also, you must setup the LAN port as explained.
    Thanks for the reply. The error I get when I’m not property connected to the MESA is “No ethernet link detected. Check cabling between controller and machine.”

This is the message I receive when I’m connected to the 7i92 but I believe it’s not communicating with the controller.

I did double check my jumpers and I think they are configured correctly?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by andarxx View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The error I get when I’m not property connected to the MESA is “No ethernet link detected. Check cabling between controller and machine.”

This is the message I receive when I’m connected to the 7i92 but I believe it’s not communicating with the controller.

I did double check my jumpers and I think they are configured correctly?

No, Its exactly what rdsi suggested, you have the wrong IP address setting
    Try again with W6 up (and a 7I92 power cycle)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks to both of you guys!

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, the up/down terminology MESA uses is a bit confusing. Anyway the BOB board connects to P2 or the lower connector in your pictures. That other connector, P1, can be used for I/O such as controlling air valves & stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am a bit confused. You have a 5v power supply for the relays but it looks as if you are powering the relay board from the MESA using pin 18 for +5 and pins 10 and 12 for GND

Yep, 7i92...

One thing to consider when driving things with these I/O lines is their state during power-up. They are essentially an input with a 4.7K resistor pull-up on their output until PP gets running. As such your interface logic must ensure the correct state is maintained until the I/O lines gets programmed the way you want.

My circuit to control some air solenoids looks like this:

New Controller For MY PCNC 1100-io-intf-jpg

I'm using these parts to control 2 solenoids for now & I have 2 spares.
    New Controller For MY PCNC 1100-img_0918-800x600-jpg

These parts are pretty cheap on Amazon:

MW 5VDC Power Supply
    MW 24VDC Power Supply
    MW 12VDC Power Supply
    Electronic-Salon Adapter Board

I decided I didn't need the 7i75 but it doesn't hurt to use it. After getting the Electronics-Salon adapter board I wasn't that thrilled about the area for adding your own circuits. I got my parts in there but it's not as versatile as I had hope. I think there are better options. The MW 5VDC power supply is to replace my wall wart running the 7i92 & to run the Electronics-Salon relay board. The MW 24VDC power supply is for operating my air solenoids.

These MW power supplies are so cheap, $13.68 I ordered another 12VDC unit to replace the wall wart running my PDB.

So I have ran everything while temporarily hooked up to the machine & can toggle my relays using M1xx codes. Now I'm just working to get everything permanently installed.

So I'm thinking of mounting a plate on standoffs above the BOB to mount all this stuff on. For the years I've had my PCNC I've never had to do anything on the BOB so I feel comfortable doing it this way.

Edit: Oops, just noticed the Electronic-Salon Adapter board uses 2mm IDC instead if the std 0.1" on the 7i92. I changed the link to the correct board with 0.1" spacing. This board also has a better prototype area too. Since I already got the board with 2mm spacing I decided to pull the IDC & wire the ribbon directly the board. I put some 5-min epoxy between the PCB & ribbon so it should be fie.

New Controller For MY PCNC 1100-img_0920-jpg

So this is what I'll be mounting inside the cabinet above my BOB. The ribbon cable goes to the extra port on the 7i92. This gives me 4 relay outputs plus I still have 13 more I/O lines available for whatever.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by smorell View Post
    I am a bit confused. You have a 5v power supply for the relays but it looks as if you are powering the relay board from the MESA using pin 18 for +5 and pins 10 and 12 for GND
    Yeah, the 5V supply runs both the MESA 7i92 and relay board. It is wired to the MESA board and comes across to the relay board through P1. This is my final schematic:New Controller For MY PCNC 1100-io-schematic-jpg
    New Controller For MY PCNC 1100-img_0929-800x600-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Controller For MY PCNC 1100-io-schematic-jpg   New Controller For MY PCNC 1100-img_0929-800x600-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Got it! I figured out my issue, W3 needs to be in the "UP" position to supply +5vdc over 18-26.

Thanks for all the information. I have mine up and running now.

New Controller For MY PCNC 1100-img_2890-jpg

New Controller For MY PCNC 1100-img_2894-jpg

Yeah, the 5V supply runs both the MESA 7i92 and relay board. It is wired to the MESA board and comes across to the relay board through P1. This is my final schematic:New Controller For MY PCNC 1100-io-schematic-jpg
    New Controller For MY PCNC 1100-img_0929-800x600-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Controller For MY PCNC 1100-img_2890-jpg   New Controller For MY PCNC 1100-img_2894-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks rdsi, your information has been very beneficial!

Everything is finished and I 3D printed this mounting plate for the valves and manifold. Only thing I have left is finishing up modifications to my fusion 360 post to switch between fogbuster and flood coolant.
    New Controller For MY PCNC 1100-img_2904-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Controller For MY PCNC 1100-img_2904-jpg  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234