Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PP2.0 install USB boot frustration

Downloads
    Uploads

Default PP2.0 install USB boot frustration

So my USB arrived after a few weeks and today was the day
    Updated to 1.9.13
    Backed up my nc file (Thank God)
    Inserted the USB and rebooted, Nothing, Tried again, Nothing, Tried a different USB slot, Nothing
    Took the computer out and tried on the bench, Nothing,
    Tried restoring to the last version (1.9.7 believe it or not)

Toast
    File not found Grub error WTF !!!!!!

Spent an hour trying to fix that, ended up wiping the HD and re-installing from the original CD
    Updated to 1.9.13 again
    Tried booting from the USB again and again and again
    In and out of the BIOS countless times

Created a basic bootable USB
    Boots fine
    Tried the PP2 again, Nothing

The Freaking USB seems to be the issue, it's not bootable !!!!!! Files are there and can be read but it doesn't look like it's bootable

Anyone know a way to check if this is the case?
    M

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PP2.0 install USB boot frustration

Same issue here

USB does not boot
    But my PP is not from Tormach, its a HP desktop that fitted the spec for what i needed

Did not have time to play more with it....

Downloads
    Uploads

Dumb question, but did you edit the BIOS to boot from USB before HDD?

Downloads
    Uploads

Not a dumb question at all but yes it's set to try the USB first
    Played with it yesterday at it's even stranger than I thought.
    Copied the PP USB to a different USB (created an image and wrote the image) and still no good on the HP

The PP USB will boot and install on a different computer (Beige box with asus mb)

Linux Mint 17.3 mate USB I made will install on the mill HP control with no issues

So the PP USB is ok to boot and the HP box is ok to boot off a USB but the HP will not boot off the PP USB

PP looks like it ontop of mint 17.3 mate once installed on the beige box and I can install that on the HP, just need to figure out how to install PP alone from the USB

(Even attempted to install onto the HP drive plugged into the asus board and move it back to the HP but it hangs on the PP screen so I guess the hardware is different enough between the two that it can't deal with it.)

M

Downloads
    Uploads

Also, sounds like you've done it, but elsewhere it's been reported that extension cables don't work for booting the stick-- it wants to be plugged into a port on the main controller box.

Is your controller a UEFI BIOS like the Tormach controller or a 'regular' legacy BIOS?

Downloads
    Uploads

Regular old BIOS

I've done front port, rear port, different slots within each port, it just plain doesn't like this USB

I think my only hope is to install mint on it's own and then figure out how to just install PP off the USB
    M

Downloads
    Uploads

I am at the same point
    This USB stick just doesnt want to boot on this HP box. i suspect its as to do with the Legacy Bios vs UEFI style bios.
    I am Installing it on VirtualBox to make sure there is no issues with my PP stick

I wish Tormach would offer the install files for those who paid to get PP 1 and PP 2.

Downloads
    Uploads

can you burn it onto a CD?

Can these PCs even boot any USB bootable drive?

Here's one idea - try creating a bootable USB from https://www.pendrivelinux.com of any Linux distro just as a test. That would be an independent way of verifying you're pressing the right keys during boot or what BIOS boot settings you may need.

PP 2.0 is too large to fit on a DVD - that's the whole reason they switched from their recovery DVD to 8 GB USB drives.

Quote Originally Posted by joshetect View Post
    can you burn it onto a CD?

Downloads
    Uploads

My two HP systems both boot from a different USB, loaded linux onto each system without issue.

Loaded PP2 from the usb onto a grey box computer (asus mb) without issue

Even tried cloning the pp usb onto a different one JIC it was the usb itself

Went back to 1.9.13 this morning
    M

Downloads
    Uploads

I tried to burn it to a double layer DVD but it wouldn't boot off the disc, I suspect that's a limitation of the media

Also tried connecting the ssd from the HP to another machine as a USB drive and writing the PP USB image to it then installing that ssd back into the HP and tried to boot from it but as I expected it doesn't see it as a USB or HD now
    M

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like the Tormach stick is made to work with their controller's UEFI BIOS. IDK how to fix that but surely the internet knows. The guys doing VM installs might be able to help as well.

The install instructions told me to avoid UEFI in the boot menu so its not like they "locked" it to UEFI. More likely Tormach is simply only able to test on the family of controller's they've actually sold and shipped. They don't have the resources to test hundreds of random motherboards and BIOS settings.

If you're determined to get it to run on your DIY HP setup, why not just take the internal SSD out of the HP, put it in your Asus, install from the USB PP 2 stick to the SSD using the Asus because you know it works on that motherboard. Then when the install is done, simply move the internal SSD back to the HP?

Or ditch the HP and use the Asus as the controller.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by old-cnc-geek View Post
    The install instructions told me to avoid UEFI in the boot menu so its not like they "locked" it to UEFI. More likely Tormach is simply only able to test on the family of controller's they've actually sold and shipped. They don't have the resources to test hundreds of random motherboards and BIOS settings.

If you're determined to get it to run on your DIY HP setup, why not just take the internal SSD out of the HP, put it in your Asus, install from the USB PP 2 stick to the SSD using the Asus because you know it works on that motherboard. Then when the install is done, simply move the internal SSD back to the HP?

Or ditch the HP and use the Asus as the controller.

I know Tormach doesn't support anything other than their controller, (you will note that at no time did I fault Tormach) and I understand why.

In post 4 you'll see that I did install PP2 on the drive done on the asus and transfer it back to the HP. The difference (chipset/hardware I can only guess) seems different enough that it will not boot once back in the HP

For now I'm back to 1.9.13 until I can find a solution. I'm also guessing support (updates/fixes) for 1.9.x are probably going to be few and far between but then I was still running 1.9.7 up until this so...
    M

Ah, thanks for clarifying - I misunderstood and thought the HP boot-up problem was always with the USB drives themselves, not with the SSD once you moved that back post-install.
    Odd - wonder what the HP has that the kernel is locking up on boot? Are you able to press ESC or F1 during the boot and see the kernel boot messages scroll at all? Might lead you to figure out where it is falling over. Or does it not even get that far?

Downloads
    Uploads

it manages to get to a tormach splash screen and locks solid

I'm going to look around and see if I can find a newer HP to try it on when I get a chance.
    M

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mooser View Post
    it manages to get to a tormach splash screen and locks solid

I'm going to look around and see if I can find a newer HP to try it on when I get a chance.
    M
    Here's a shot in the dark but might work for you.

You might be able to install PathPilot 2.0 using a linux boot loader like the live "Plop Linux iso" (284MB download) to install grub boot loader and use it to install PP. Download the iso file and burn it to a cd or dvd then boot from the cd. After Plop boots select "Boot Manager", then select "USB". The PP 2.0 USB thumb drive should begin to boot, then follow PP 2.0 install procedure. Let us know if you try it and if it works as it might help other forum members.

https://www.plop.at/en/ploplinux/downloads/full.html

I read that PP 2.0 does not work with some GForce video cards so so use onboard video if it is on your Mother board. What chipset is on your HP MB? I am using an old ASRock MB with a Saphire video card with PP 1.98 and could not install PP2.0 on it either so I gave up and ordered a new MB which hopefully will be here before the weekend. I used Plop to successfully install PP 2.0 in virtualbox.

Last edited by Steve303; 12-27-2017 at 07:41 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

That might work
    Like I said, it (the HP) will not recognize the usb as bootable, but everything is there
    I'll try it on the second box
    Thanks for the input
    M

Downloads
    Uploads

...........You might be able to install PathPilot 2.0 using a linux boot loader like the live[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] "Plop Linux iso" (284MB download) to install grub boot loader and use it to install PP. Download the iso file and burn it to a cd or dvd then boot from the cd. After Plop boots select "Boot Manager", then select "USB". The PP 2.0 USB thumb drive should begin to boot, then follow PP 2.0 install procedure.

https://www.plop.at/en/ploplinux/downloads/full.html...........

THIS WORKED PERFECTLY

I burned it to another USB drive (rather than dvd)
    Booted off that drive and it went into the PLOP setup
    Selected the bootloader (manager?) and removed the USB
    Installed the PP2 USB and started the bootloader
    PP2 Installed perfectly after that. This HP isn't hooked to the 1100 but I'll plug it in tomorrow and make sure everything is functioning

Thank you so much for that suggestion and hopefully this will work for others as well who run into the same issue
    M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast