PathPilot 2.x and PathPilot Simulator

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PathPilot 2.x and PathPilot Simulator

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default PathPilot 2.x and PathPilot Simulator

Has anyone heard news on the release dates for PathPilot 2.x or PathPilot Simulator?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PathPilot 2.x and PathPilot Simulator

What's PathPilot Simulator?

Downloads
    Uploads

I just tried running PathPilot (1.92) in Virtualbox it would not boot. It fails with the message "Mesa interface card not detected in controller."

Any tips on how to get run PP in VirtualBox?
    Steve

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PathPilot 2.x and PathPilot Simulator-vb_ppcapture-png  
    Last edited by Steve303; 10-11-2017 at 09:30 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the help rdsi. I now have PP updated to V1.9.13 and working. Can't figure out how to install guest additions so I am moving the screen using the ATL F7 keys.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

I now have the guest additions installed and working. Screen size will auto adjust fine. I can not seem to figure out how to keep the menu across the top of the Ubuntu desktop.

Downloads
    Uploads

Any idea how to keep the Ubuntu Desktop to open when PathPilot is running as in your screen shop above? When I start PathPilot the desktop will disappear and the screen automatically resets to a smaller but full screen PathPilot.

Also unless I have a terminal open by typing "Ctrl" + "alt" + "x" then type "/usr/bin/gnome-panel" I do not see the Ubuntu menu bar.

After that all I have to do is create a share.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PathPilot 2.x and PathPilot Simulator-vb_ppcapture1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Has anyone tried to run PathPilot under Microsoft Hyper-V?

Downloads
    Uploads

I get to the desktop by just clicking "exit" in pathpilot, this will bring up the Cancel OK window and PP will be greyed out, and the menu bar will show across the top of the screen and is functional. Just click "places" then select deskktop.

When finished click cancel in the Pathpilot window and youre back in Pathpilot again. If you make changes to the Tormach1100-3.ini file (backlash settings), the changes wont be saved until rebooted.

I would think Tormach would have made a provision to set the backlash in Pathpilot without having to do this?? I cant tell any difference in machining but it is necessary for probing to be accurate.

I did figure out how to save and print the Tormach1100-3.ini file, I saved it to a usb stick then printed it on a windows machine using wordpad but it doesnt print the line numbers, so at least I have a file for comparison to the new file after an update, it would be nice though to have the line numbers .........

I really like Pathpilot!! I cant say the same for Linux/Ubuntu, difficult for me to make changes etc.............

Last edited by popspipes; 10-11-2017 at 11:29 PM.
    mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. I found the 12.04 restriction after asking here. They do say that earlier versions will work but with unspecified "restrictions". It seems best to just install VirtualBox also. Actually Hyper-V is free and runs on Win7 desktop and later. I'm interested because I use it for running other stuff in a virtual machine.

Next dumb question: How do I get an ISO of the latest version of PP? I installed from the original DVD two years ago and have just done updates so no recent DVD here.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ken, follow rdsi's instructions install from PP disk or iso then update to the latest version. I now have everything running except the shared folders and networking. I am new to ubuntu but I am beginning to get a handle on it.

Now I have to add my tool offsets and get the shared folders to work.

Last edited by Steve303; 10-12-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Thanks. I found the 12.04 restriction after asking here. They do say that earlier versions will work but with unspecified "restrictions". It seems best to just install VirtualBox also. Actually Hyper-V is free and runs on Win7 desktop and later. I'm interested because I use it for running other stuff in a virtual machine.

Next dumb question: How do I get an ISO of the latest version of PP? I installed from the original DVD two years ago and have just done updates so no recent DVD here.
    I don't remember the version number, but I just got a PP upgrade kit a few weeks ago and it was three or four versions old.

Downloads
    Uploads

rdsi, when trying to access shared folders I get "You do not have the permissions..." error in file browser.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PathPilot 2.x and PathPilot Simulator-vb_ppcapture2-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve303 View Post
    Ken, follow rdsi's instructions install from PP disk or iso then update to the latest version. I now have everything running except the shared folders and networking. I am new to ubuntu but I am beginning to get a handle on it.

Now I have to add my tool offsets and get the shared folders to work.
    My only DVD is rather old -- 1.7.2 !

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    My only DVD is rather old -- 1.7.2 !
    Install the version you have. Follow rdsi's instructions (see post #5) then update using a usb thumb drive.

1) Create a Linux, Ubuntu (32-bit) virtual machine with 2048 MB of memory.

2) You must create a “Fixed size” VDI disk image of 32GB.

You can install from the CD or an ISO image of it. Earlier releases of the PP CD were not VB aware. The installation will look for the MESA hardware & bomb out if not found. You can get around this by booting into the Ubuntu desktop – hold down the left shift-alt keys. Then edit the file:

“/home/operator/config_file.txt”

so that it contains 1 line of either:

~/tmc/configs/tormach_lathe/tormach_lathe_sim.ini

or

~/tmc/configs/tormach_mill/tormach_mill_sim.ini

and save it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    Yeah, been there ...

Pull up terminal in ubuntu desktop and execute the following:

You'll have to reboot after that command for things to take effect.

Basically, it a permission thing whereas you being the predefined username "operator" need "vboxsf" group permissions.

Thank you... that did it I can now use shared folders.
    Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    It’s not documented by Tormach that I know about but PathPilot can run under Oracle’s VirtualBox. PP knows when this is happening & as such does not require the MESA hardware. In VirtualBox you setup a Linux machine to install PP into. After installation you can run PP and select the machine (one of the mill models or the lathe) you want to simulate & PP works just as if the machine were really attached.

I do this all the time and it’s very handy to test out code or write conversational routines right on my desktop where I do all my CAD/CAM.
    Thanks - it would be handy to code conversational ops on my desktop, but that's a Windows machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Thanks - it would be handy to code conversational ops on my desktop, but that's a Windows machine.
    Conversational is the main reason I want to run PathPilot right on my desktop computer. Sure beats standing at the mill in January when my shop is pretty cold.

The virtual machine can be cloned, copied and moved to another computer if needed.

Steve

Last edited by Steve303; 10-13-2017 at 08:14 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Following your instructions, I have PP running in the VirtualBox Ubuntu, but it can't see any USB drives or, indeed, anything outside the virtual box. How can I get it to be able to see a USB drive?

Last edited by Fenichel; 10-12-2017 at 09:48 PM. Reason: typo

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks! I'll try it as soon as an impatient customer is happy...

Downloads
    Uploads

In the VirtualBox Manager click on "settings" then select "USB" , check the box to enable USB, then insert the USB key into you PC. Now you can add it to the list of USB devices available to PathPilot. Restart PathPilot and your should see it in the file manager. It might not be the best way but it worked for me.

I recommend using the shared folders.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PathPilot 2.x and PathPilot Simulator-vb_ppcapture3-png  

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast