Physical Feed Rate Override knob for PCNC 1100 - Page 3

View Poll Results: Would a physical FRO knob be better than controlling the FRO slider with a mouse?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a physical knob you could hold on to while watching the tool and part would be better

6 100.00%
  • No, Id rather have to look at the screen instead, make sure the cursor is over the slider, etc

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Physical Feed Rate Override knob for PCNC 1100

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Physical Feed Rate Override knob for PCNC 1100

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I want you to know that I sure admire your efforts in this matter!

I am just now getting a handle on how to change the .ini files, Linux is not very simple to program at least for me... so I was just wondering, not criticizing or complaining in any way.
    If your editing .ini's than your a pro lol. I'll send the one I've been using out to ya, if you want to play with it for a couple weeks. Just like I did with Andrew, Ill walk you through the patch and everything. No strings, just scouts honor you will ship it back when your done. I could use a couple volunteers to try it out.

Pete

Downloads
    Uploads

Pete, are you updating ini files using a script? I am using PP on my Novakon Pulsar and had to edit ini files. Right now I have to manually recopy my updated ini files to the appropriate directories after any PP updates update.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve303 View Post
    Pete, are you updating ini files using a script? I am using PP on my Novakon Pulsar and had to edit ini files. Right now I have to manually recopy my updated ini files to the appropriate directories after any PP updates update.

Steve
    Yea, Steve its very similar. I was going to do a script but it really wasn't worth it in the end.

Right now here are the steps:
    1. Update to PP 1.9.7 if you're not there already
    2. Plug in USB with my patch file
    3. ALT+CTRL+X to bring up terminal, and type in "nautilus", to bring up the default file manager
    4. Goto USB drive, and open up my file.
    5. Click extract, and it will place all the files where they need to go
    6. Reboot
    7. Drink beer... not while operating heavy machinery.

Pete

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by petenc View Post
    Yea, Steve its very similar. I was going to do a script but it really wasn't worth it in the end.

Right now here are the steps:
    1. Update to PP 1.9.7 if you're not there already
    2. Plug in USB with my patch file
    3. ALT+CTRL+X to bring up terminal, and type in "nautilus", to bring up the default file manager
    4. Goto USB drive, and open up my file.
    5. Click extract, and it will place all the files where they need to go
    6. Reboot
    7. Drink beer... not while operating heavy machinery.

Pete
    Thanks Pete.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you want another tester, albeit in Canada, I'm game.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    If you want another tester, albeit in Canada, I'm game.
    Ill shoot you a pm... shipping to Canada is expensive for whatever reason.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Shoot me a PM also, will pay all shipping cost and pay for parts if you want.

Live in Canada too.

Jeff

Downloads
    Uploads

I intend to order a Physical feedrate override unit from Pete also. As I am in the UK it would make sense to combine postage with other UK Tormach Users to reduce shipping costs.

Send me a PM if you are interested also.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by John Roberts View Post
    I intend to order a Physical feedrate override unit from Pete also. As I am in the UK it would make sense to combine postage with other UK Tormach Users to reduce shipping costs.

Send me a PM if you are interested also.
    Somebody asked if it works for the lathe and the answer is not currently. I will get something together and post a video. I apologize for any confusion...

Pete

Downloads
    Uploads

First production unit in my hand !!!! I'll post some video this next week on my thoughts on the ease of use and configuration settings.

Thanks for getting this to me Pete. You Da' Man! Also looking forward to getting the larger controller in the coming month.

Once you go AdaptedCNC you'll never go back!

Physical Feed Rate Override knob for PCNC 1100-adaptedcnc_small_controller_web-jpg

Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    First production unit in my hand !!!! I'll post some video this next week on my thoughts on the ease of use and configuration settings.

Thanks for getting this to me Pete. You Da' Man! Also looking forward to getting the larger controller in the coming month.

Once you go AdaptedCNC you'll never go back!

Physical Feed Rate Override knob for PCNC 1100-adaptedcnc_small_controller_web-jpg
    np I am still catching up on documentation, so for the few that have one here is a snapshot of the the re-program codes. To re-program hold the button down for 3 seconds to reset the jog slider and dial to the code you want. Then press the button again to accept it. Any questions on patching just PM me.

Pete
    Physical Feed Rate Override knob for PCNC 1100-re-program-codes-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Mine is due today, kinda reminds me of Christmas for a kid!

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Received the Adaptedcnc box today, it is slick thats for sure!! After saving the file correctly it did its thing, I havent tried it on a program yet but cutting air it works like a dream come true!

I just want to use it for the sliders max velocity spindle speed and feedrate, and that works fine, havent tried the myraid of other options yet.

The unit is very professionally made, makes one proud to own one, and with the ease of operation it will save many broken tools!

mike sr

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So are these units now in production for sale or are they still being beta tested?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Labern View Post
    So are these units now in production for sale or are they still being beta tested?
    Still in beta... almost there though. Once I go through an update process to v1.9.8 with some of the early-adopters, we will be good.

Just to re-iterate, I will be providing a patch for each new PP release, as PP rubs out the patch with each update. Basic functions work out of the box (cycle start, coolant, stop, feedhold, etc) but slider control and other features will not work without the patch.

Pete

Downloads
    Uploads

Some of the guys like the Vista pendants, a patch file would be good for that as well, I have one of those but didnt like it all that well, but some do.

Axis reversal for the tormach jog shuttle for us table cranker types......

A way to get sound on the Tormach controller for key clicks etc so you dont have to look at the display to see if the keystrokes are entered.

A file with all the changes on it so that when PP is updated it will put all the changes back in their proper places.

It is amazing what you are getting done in such a short time frame!

I sure like my "sneak up slow down knobs" !!

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Some of the guys like the Vista pendants, a patch file would be good for that as well, I have one of those but didnt like it all that well, but some do.

A way to get sound on the Tormach controller for key clicks etc so you dont have to look at the display to see if the keystrokes are entered.

A file with all the changes on it so that when PP is updated it will put all the changes back in their proper places.

your ninja knobs? I come from a automation/mold shop and anything inside ±.0002 for hardened tool steels (A2, H-13, O1, D2) required our special ninja processing. Gotsa sneak up on it.

just sent ya the v1.9.8 patch. I don't have any experience with the Vista pendants, but it would be fun to try and make something similar one day.

Your sound idea is a great one, and I actually tried to get that to work. I was like oh there is a jack on the front of the controller let me just plug in a speaker and program in some beeps. Nothing is easy, and this is bizarre, but the soundcard is blacklisted because it makes some horrendous noise when shutting down. Fixed all that, and then I couldn't get the drivers for it going and eventually got frustrated and gave up. The best I can do now is to make the beep sound myself.

Pete

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Pete!

I have been frustrated with the X Y direction thing for about 5 years now, never understood why it was not an option for the jog shuttle and keyboard??

The shuttle was a pain for me when trying to indicate a small hole etc as it seemed to always go the wrong way, I think if I had learned the correct way first it wouldnt have been a problem.

You figured this out in less than 30 minutes, unbelievable!

I wish you a lot of success with your after market controllers, I know I am a happy camper!

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mike
    I'm sure you've been following the Vista thread, not only does the supplied software have issues but once they're solved you'll need an update for each new release (as Pete mentioned above). The question is, who will provide this? I also have reservations about distributing modified Tormach files.
    Reversing the pendant direction and generating a beep for the Shuttle button press can be done, but as you've pointed out. updating PathPilot will require that you repeat the changes and presumably installing Pete's code (I don't know exactly what he changes but I can imagine) will probably wipe out your changes again. I'd be interested to know why Tormach didn't implement the beep because it can be made to work and to react immediately to the button press. They appear to have tried it but commented it out - perhaps because their implementation caused unusual delays (is Tormach out there???).
    Copying your changes to a new release can be a pain but a good merge program can help a lot. I use WinMerge on a windows machine. You have to be careful with line endings but WinMerge handles linux files properly, even under windows.
    I'm working on a system to install full pendant like functionality which requires a couple of additional files but requires only 3 additional lines of code in the Tormach files. This can easily be installed with a script and would be compatible with all the versions of PathPilot I've seen so far. It avoids the need to distribute Tormach code and to provide a new version for each update. The test code works great, but my new pendant may take just a little longer
    Step

PS. Volume controls, to mention just one example, generally "slow down" as the volume decreases. Google can provide you with a multitude of examples including https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/g...ometer/gpk/204

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Pete!

I have been frustrated with the X Y direction thing for about 5 years now, never understood why it was not an option for the jog shuttle and keyboard??

The shuttle was a pain for me when trying to indicate a small hole etc as it seemed to always go the wrong way, I think if I had learned the correct way first it wouldnt have been a problem.

You figured this out in less than 30 minutes, unbelievable!

I wish you a lot of success with your after market controllers, I know I am a happy camper!
    No problem Mike! Glad to help ya out. I've learned a lot from your generation so the pleasure is all mine. Ill post the solution in a separate thread for all the present and future searchers of this forum.

Pete

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast