Physical Feed Rate Override knob for PCNC 1100 - Page 2

View Poll Results: Would a physical FRO knob be better than controlling the FRO slider with a mouse?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a physical knob you could hold on to while watching the tool and part would be better

6 100.00%
  • No, Id rather have to look at the screen instead, make sure the cursor is over the slider, etc

0 0%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Physical Feed Rate Override knob for PCNC 1100

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Physical Feed Rate Override knob for PCNC 1100

Very cool! I looked at that exact pendant in the video, and I didn't think it supported pathpilot? And looking through the pathpilot code I didn't see anything to support such a pendant... only the few select HID hotkeys and shuttlexpress. So that leads me to believe there is a custom program or manual edits to the existing interface... either case good work! I really like the standalone encoder also and probably that route Ill go with my project.

Thanks for posting!

Pete

Downloads
    Uploads

I for one would like the rotary knob setup, I am looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with!

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Turbostep: now if you can get the jog controls on the vistacnc pendant as well, I will throw money at you in approbation for whatever your solution is!

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I for one would like the rotary knob setup, I am looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with!
    Me too!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by alan_3301 View Post
    not sure about what they did with pathpilot but with linuxcnc I use "` through 9" on the keyboard for FRO
    ` = 0%
    9 = 90%
    0 = 100%

Try that it might work for you.

That would be sweet but doesn't seem t

Otherwise, you can try to use adaptive feed control with m52
    you can read a little about it here: M Codes
    you do need to connect the hal pin motion.adaptive-feed to a suitable input.
    I'm not sure if your hardware setup has an analog input, that would be an easy way, otherwise you need to figure out a digital input and how to interface that to your override knob.

Definitely not a plug and play thing but definitely doable.

That would be sweet but doesn't seem to work in Pathpilot, at least for me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yea, unfortunately, you have to add code to pathpilot to accept these hotkeys. From what I am seeing they handle all overrides inside of pathpilot and not through linuxcnc. They also don't have the keys mapped either. Not sure why, but I am sure they have a good reason. I have started to add hotkeys to my pathpilot as I see the need. Definitely not as easy as mach, but doable.

Pete

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Turbostep: now if you can get the jog controls on the vistacnc pendant as well, I will throw money at you in approbation for whatever your solution is!
    You mean like this:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...ml#post1971570
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a quick video update on the override controls for Pathpilot. I ended up going with pots rather than encoders. The reasoning is I want to have the knob pointer line up consistently with engraving/decal on the faceplate, once I get the new enclosure in. The only other way I could think of was to go with an absolute encoder and this project doesn't seem worth it, especially when I would need 3 of them. The downside is you fight jitter with pots, but these are currently radioshack quality, and I've put as much filtering as possible to cope. I have new ones coming in tomorrow that should make all the difference, at the worst, I can add some software filtering which I really don't want to do. Also, you will notice, the max velocity has an "off" position if fully rotated. This is a nice audible/tactile feature so it doesn't get bumped unitentionally when at 0. The new pots for Feed and Spindle, will have a center detent to allow you to lock in to 100% easier. I also may add a software tolerance band to the 100% position to make it easier to locate to, I find it frustrating in the current configuration. The location (under the keyboard) is not permanent. I am going to try it out for a couple weeks and see how it feels.

Sorry for the audio...

As far as posting code, I've had a couple requests for source. Its not as simple as an arduino sketch or one file change.... its several changes to pathpilot with several files to get this functionality. Its not an easy thing to simply send across a forum. I may consider taking the necessary steps to make it open source, however, I am just not there yet. I apologize. Send me an email if you want to discuss further...

Thanks,
    Pete

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Pete,

Outstanding!!!! Any chance to add a fourth knob for jog velocity? I'll send you an email. Count me in! I've never understood why Tormach did not include something like this in a better joystick than the jog shuttle.

Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Physical Feed Rate Override knob for PCNC 1100

Love the idea of physical knobs for feed over ride. Another gizmo that would be great IMO is a 3-wheel handle jog something like my sketch. Dedicated dials each axis oriented intuitively. No switching between xyz or forgetting what it was last set to. A lot of folks coming from the world of manual machines might agree and would reduce Haimer tip deathsPhysical Feed Rate Override knob for PCNC 1100

Downloads
    Uploads

I think thats a great idea Paul. After seeing the old guys knock out some parts on the manuals, you can't help but stop and think if maybe there is a better way on these machines. Here is a demo a handwheel modification I am working on. I'd like to have something like this on all three axis, or integrated into a single package like you outlined, just like a manual... cleaned up of course!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wohoo my first post
    I have been thinking of building my own custom keyboard and control unit with specific buttons when I came across this. I really like the Idea and is something that I would love to include in my project.
    I used to use an old CNC lathe during my apprenticeship days and it had small knobs so you could use it as a manual lathe and it worked really well. Although I would mainly want to have a small knob to adjust the current path pilot sliders for now. But It would be very handy to have manual controls on the mill. the shuttle jog controller doesn't cut it sometimes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is the latest on the physical overrides project I've been working on. Still a couple more things to make it "perfect" lol.

Bad news... it has to have an update to Pathpilot 1.9.7 to work. Good news... its simple, no edits, and takes a minute. Shoutout to smoke for testing!

Pete

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by petenc View Post
    Here is the latest on the physical overrides project I've been working on. Still a couple more things to make it "perfect" lol.

Bad news... it has to have an update to Pathpilot 1.9.7 to work. Good news... its simple, no edits, and takes a minute. Shoutout to smoke for testing!

Pete
    FYI folks - this thing ROOOCKS! Cannot wait to get the production unit. Pete has ask for the beta ones back but I think he may have to send the law after me to get them...... just kidding, I'm sending them back tomorrow.... maybe...

Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very cool. I like how simple it is to program.

Downloads
    Uploads

the latest yall! Now to make some more...

Downloads
    Uploads

Programming the buttons is simple, I like that.
    What do you have to do to get pathpilot to recognize your controller? Is that simple as well or how is it done?

mike sr

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-JB View Post
    Love the idea of physical knobs for feed over ride. Another gizmo that would be great IMO is a 3-wheel handle jog something like my sketch. Dedicated dials each axis oriented intuitively. No switching between xyz or forgetting what it was last set to. A lot of folks coming from the world of manual machines might agree and would reduce Haimer tip deathsPhysical Feed Rate Override knob for PCNC 1100
    Having tried a joystick, I can say that the speed control has to be built into each axis controller like the round Tormach controller. Yes, you have to change axis on the Tormacg controller, but it boosts up through the step speeds all the way to rapid. Otherwise, it is untenable. You will definitely break your Haimer. I re-purposed the joystick to my plasma table where it works quite satisfactorily.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    Programming the buttons is simple, I like that.
    What do you have to do to get pathpilot to recognize your controller? Is that simple as well or how is it done?
    It does require a patch to Pathpilot unfortunately, but I've made it simple. I sent a box off to Andrew (smokediver576) a couple weeks ago and I just sent him an email with the file and he threw it on a USB stick. I think he said it best, "It's a super easy patch that you apply. I updated to 1.9.7 then applied the single file patch. Nothing to edit line by line or anything like that. No harder than doing a normal update."

Unfortunately, every time you update Pathpilot it wipes out my patch. But then again, maybe that is a good thing, it allows you to revert back to the original if you ever wanted to.

I am hoping to have the 1.9.8 patch done tonight.

Pete

Downloads
    Uploads

I want you to know that I sure admire your efforts in this matter!

I am just now getting a handle on how to change the .ini files, Linux is not very simple to program at least for me... so I was just wondering, not criticizing or complaining in any way.

mike sr

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast