Torchmate 2 HELP!!!

Thread: Torchmate 2 HELP!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Torchmate 2 HELP!!!

So I bought a new to me Torchmate 2 system with 501A usb signal generator and red screen avhc. Torchmate 3 driver software and Torchmate cad/can 7.1. I’m running a brand new hypertherm powermax 45xp with machine torch. Have 8 foot ground rod that the star ground is connected to. This is my setup, has not worked right since I started messing with it. The most consistent issue is that the torch doesn’t shut off between rapid moves. Also sometimes it won’t finish cuts or skip cuts all together. I sent this dxf to someone with a similar setup and it ran just fine for them. I took the torch lead out of the track think that it was causing interference but it did not make a difference. Anybody have an idea as to why I’m having these issues?

Video of machine running with avhc set to no cut
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JbineIF-wCg

Video of machine running
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q19hNS_99nM&feature=youtu.be

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Torchmate 2 HELP!!!

Well the good news is you have a really good plasma cutter .

Downloads
    Uploads

I watched your videos. I have a red screen height control and also am running version 3 software like you. First off you can not be in auto mode an no cut at the same time because when it is in auto, the height controller is looking for voltage to read and if there is none there the motor will lift the torch back up and pulse like it is in the video. Now as for the second video obviously something is not right. Make sure your M50 and M51 dwell times are 3 seconds on and 1 off or close to this. I had similar issues with my machine a few months ago and eventually sent in my red screen controller to be repaired. Currently it is on its way back. A good test you can do is take an continuity meter WITH SOUND and put both leads on your output contacts on the back of the height unit. Have your plasma off and height unit in manual mode. Be online with your signal generator and go to the AUX screen in the software. Use your mouse to trigger aux off and on. When you do this your torch should lower to the material, press on it and come back to pierce height. Then you should hear the meter beep which is simulating the torch firing. The meter should continue to beep until you hit aux off and it should turn the beep off and raise the torch instantly. Do this over and over at any pace, fast, slow etc. If at any time that beeping on your meter is on and your aux button isn't something is wrong. When you hit aux off that beeping should go off at the same exact time you click your mouse, if there is a delay even for a second or two something in the height box is messed up. For the time being I can suggest that you take the input and output wires off the back of the height box and put them together bypassing your box and try to run a part. Make sure height box is in manual mode when you do this. What I have done in the past is changed my dwell times to 1 on and .8 off I think. Then lower the torch manually to pierce height and run the program. While the program is running I just eye ball the torch with my glasses on and have my finger on the button to raise or lower if need be while it is cutting. At least this way you can see if the height controller is causing your problems and rule it out. If you can run a program like that and have no issues your height unit may need some work. I have cut a full 4x8 sheet with the height in manual mode and just eyeballing it lol. ONExia in PA is the company who produced the red screen height controls for torchmate. They also produced the blue screens and sell them under their name as well currently (Kyndill). Sorry for the long message but I just have gone through all this crap. I know a lot about these older torchmates if you need more help. My e mail is sparks.stripes@gmail.com. -Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dan,
    I unfortunately can't offer any help... but I can say you're not alone.
    I have a Torchmate 2 with the red screen height control, and recently attempted to upgrade to the Hypertherm 45xp.
    And it is doing the EXACT same thing shown in your video.
    I have been round and round with both Torchmate tech support, and Hypertherm tech support too.
    We have tried a pretty crazy amount of things, from in line resistors, to solid state relays to isolate the plasma cutter from the THC.
    If I ever manage to get things working, I'll be sure to let you know, but I'm starting to think the 45xp just isn't comparable with the red screen THC.
    -Owen

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTurtle View Post
    Hi Dan,
    I unfortunately can't offer any help... but I can say you're not alone.
    I have a Torchmate 2 with the red screen height control, and recently attempted to upgrade to the Hypertherm 45xp.
    And it is doing the EXACT same thing shown in your video.
    I have been round and round with both Torchmate tech support, and Hypertherm tech support too.
    We have tried a pretty crazy amount of things, from in line resistors, to solid state relays to isolate the plasma cutter from the THC.
    If I ever manage to get things working, I'll be sure to let you know, but I'm starting to think the 45xp just isn't comparable with the red screen THC.
    -Owen

Owen,

You may be onto something with the red screens just not being compatible with certain plasmas. I have a powermax 800 with a new duramax torch. When I got my red screen used it acted funky so I sent it to Onexia to be fixed. Well they had it for a month and couldn't find anything wrong then all of a sudden put a voltage board in it and sent it back. (Hindsight it was probably fine the whole time and they just threw a new part in so they could charge me with something and make me happy.) I tried it again with the same issues. I had a guy who had a good working spare red screen send me his to test. I had the same results so I came to the conclusion it wasn't my box. I added a start ground to my table which I ran the ground rod to, the plasma clamp lead to, and ran ground wires to my gantry and lifter station. The red screen worked ok for a few parts then started raising while cutting again and then diving while cutting too. So Saturday I gave up and reverted back to my old setup. I have two torchmate proximity sensor height controls that were made before the red screen and I will go back to using one of them because at least they worked without destroying a part that I was cutting. Sucks but I have spent too much time and money trying to get this red screen unit working with my system. Going to go back to what worked for years! I will add this red screen unit to my stash of old TM equipment I guess lol. If you ever figure it out let us know!

-Dan