Walter CNC Grinders - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Walter CNC Grinders

Downloads
    Uploads

do you use your rollomatic for micro tools?
    i heard they are good machines for small tools?
    the smallest tools i've made on a walter was a .032 ballnose tapered endmill
    and i've made 0.032 drills. lots of fun.
    i use pk2 and pk32 all the time, i could give you pointers on blending the rads and balls if you'd like, but if you've been doing this 14yrs, you probably would'nt want to hear it.
    i've only ever met 1 person on the walters longer than myself. i'd love to share ideas.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cb1 View Post
    do you use your rollomatic for micro tools?
    i heard they are good machines for small tools?
    the smallest tools i've made on a walter was a .032 ballnose tapered endmill
    and i've made 0.032 drills. lots of fun.
    i use pk2 and pk32 all the time, i could give you pointers on blending the rads and balls if you'd like, but if you've been doing this 14yrs, you probably would'nt want to hear it.
    i've only ever met 1 person on the walters longer than myself. i'd love to share ideas.
    I spend most of my time looking after guys running the machines, trying to keep a handle on things, and fixing the machines when they break down....which lately has been quite frequently I only really get into it anymore if its something tricky, or if I'm training one of the newer guys on something, or if its got to be done YESTERDAY LOL. For the most part, I use pkg.3, 4 and expert mode. I'll be honest with you though, when it comes to blending a rad on a ballnose, or corner radius endmill, I suck at it because frankly, we seldom do that sort of work in our shop so I never remeber the little tricks, but thats where cybergrinding comes into play, its easy to see what to do when you can over correct it by a mile to see what the outcome will be. Hell, I cant imagine running efficiantly without cybergrinding anymore, especially for something out of the norm, or tricky, which is why our older machines almost never get used for manufacturing anymore, mostly just regrinding on them.

As for Rolly, we like Rolly for small stuff, but so far I think the smallest tools I have done are around 1mm for some step drills, and some 2mm 3fl center cutting endmills. I wouldnt even atempt that on the Walters, not with the spindles in those machines, they are terrible.

How long have you been at it on the Walters?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 1st time poster long time grinder

I have been using Walter Grinders for 12 years now. We curently have 9 machines. 1 HMC 600 Vision w/ Loader, 4 HMC 500 Power Productions with cyl. loaders, 1 HMC 500 Mini Power, 1 HMC 400 Power and 2 HMC 400 Powers w/ loaders, there are only a few of these our there. My software experience is wide. P1,P2,P3,P4,P5,P8,P32,G code or Flex Prog,expert mode and Tool Studio. I have also done a lot of maintenance on all of these machines. I enjoy programing special projects and trouble shooting problems. I would be happy to help answer any questions that I can. We are also allways looking for operators/programers for solid carbide specials.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tapered End Mills

I have 30 years experience grinding cutting tools on manual machines. I have about a year on some Huffman 85s. We have 5 Walters and I have been able to get about a months training and a month of running them. I would love to get more time but always need to fix tools on the manual machines that the guys on the cncs say they can't get. Anyway the question I have is about tapered end mills with a radius on the corner. I am trying to figure out how you get the angle and diameters to come out right. I have tried setting up the tools with diameters called out and the length. The angle doesn't even come close. If I call out the angle and give the diameter at the back or at the front nothing still is even close. I am finally getting close but am having to lie to the machine with false numbers. This is completely trial and error and wastes a lot of time and tools. I want to learn what I am doing wrong or if there is a problem with our software.

Thanks for any help. It would be greatly appreciated

Downloads
    Uploads

I am finally getting close but am having to lie to the machine with false numbers.
    I'm a Schutte (840D) guy, but it sounds like you need to calibrate your machine?

Or re-measure your wheel?

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We are working in p2. Maintenance has been out numerous time and gone over the machines. Have tried lots of combinations on the wheels and still no luck. If we put in the right numbers for d1 and d2 and put in the lengths for l1 and l2 the resulting cone angle is not even close. We are getting tools now but the numbers aren't even close to what they should be. It does this on 4 machines and in cybergrind. I would really like to find out if we are doing something wrong or if there is something we are missing.
    Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default have you figured out the problem yet

if you are still having trouble with p2 let me know, i'm sure i can help.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi all from New Zealand, We are looking at purchasing a Walter Helitronic Basic for our workshop. We grind both Carbide and HSS step drills, formtools resharpening of cutters and precision engineering. I am looking for a cost effective way to decrease the time required to grind the drills. Any Idea's?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default i have a great idea!

why don't you fly me down there, and i will help you out!
    you cover the cost for drinks, hotel, food, and women, and i'll get your
    walter up and running and train you!
    sound good?
    or-
    if you PM me, i will answer any questions you have, and i can have
    the good feeling that i help somebody.
    but-
    i would much rather go to NZ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We are looking for someone to do at the moment manual tool grinding, as their is no skilled people in NZ. But to your reply of Drinks, food and women, I'm happy spending that on myself Cheers. Will keep in contact as we get closer to the machine...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi

we have a couple of walter grinding machines with Helitronic Tool Studio and one PC with Cyber Grinding software. (Really gooooood machines)
    And i need some idea how to make simple manufacturing drawings or export it to some 3D CAD software.
    The software self can not make any drawings or export it to 3D files like .stp .neu .prt
    The drawings are just for customer. ( marketing)

Thanks for ideas

mailto: lichvar.martin@azet.sk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tool Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by FormtoolNZ View Post
    We are looking for someone to do at the moment manual tool grinding, as their is no skilled people in NZ. But to your reply of Drinks, food and women, I'm happy spending that on myself Cheers. Will keep in contact as we get closer to the machine...

HI
    I AM TOOL ENGINEER FROM 3 YEARS AGO.
    WHAT YOU NEED . CAN I HELP YOU ?

ENG. AHMED SAMIR
    EGYPT - CAIRO
    002-010-145 95 44
    A_SAMIR_Z@HOTMAIL.COM

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

can you tell me about flut rake depth is it top middle or bottom ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default rake

please specify. i dont understand what your asking?
    are you asking what the measuring depth is for the rake angle?

Downloads
    Uploads

What type of tool are you grinding and in what package?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mill cutters etc on the Helitronic

I am trying to grind a 6 tooth solid carbide t slot cutter, 3 teeth right hand cut with 5 degrees right hand axial flute and 3 teeth right hand cut with 5 degrees left hand axial flute. Cutter is .297 wide with .020 radius on front and back of each tooth.The front and back face of cutter has 1.5 degrees dish with 2 degrees side clearence. Can this be ground completely in p5? (first time using p5)
    Right now I am piecing it together with p4 , p6 and p32 wich seems to be some what of a hassle but it will work for this time around.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default pk5

i make those the same as you. we dont do enough of them for me to figure out a different way. i find that pk5 works best for simple regrinds. i dont spend enough time in pk5 to mfg anything. so, my response is to suck it up and piece the tool together. or if its going to be production, then spend the time to find a different way. (and let me know when you do)

Downloads
    Uploads

Question I'm new to grinding.

CNC savvy but not grinding. What's al the P1,P2 Pkx, p32 stuff. Where can I read about this.
    I have been grinding various things on my 4 axis CNC SX3 with some success.
    I can rotate the head to all sorts of angles thru about -30 to +120 degrees.
    I've been using a 50mm CBN wheel on my carbide cutters. I do a fair bit of stainless steel. I can hand sharpen a 0.4mm drill OK. See picture.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Walter CNC Grinders-pict2400-jpg  
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. THREE ways to fix things: The RIGHT way, the OTHER way, and maybe YOUR way, which is possibly a FASTER WRONG WAY!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default RACK

Quote Originally Posted by quickbrew View Post
    can you tell me about flut rake depth is it top middle or bottom ?
    THE RACK ANGLE DEPTH DEPEND ON TOOL DIAMETER AND R IN WHEEL
    AND TYPE OF TOOL.

IT IS BETWEEN 0.1 MM TO 0.25 MM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We have 5 Walter GC8s with HMC 200 (maybe one 300 but it hasn't been hooked up)
    one Water Power heli with loader HMC 400.
    I'm not doing any of the programming, but we're looking at finding a CAM software that can be used offline to program these amazing monsters (NX is looking into it).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast