I'm not a happy camper with Thunderlaser Tech Support

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm not a happy camper with Thunderlaser Tech Support

Downloads
    Uploads

Default I'm not a happy camper with Thunderlaser Tech Support

Last week (Wednesday the 24th) Ben at the Thunderlaser factory in China and I did a skype to figure out that the X axes motor on my less than three week old Nova24 Engraver is bad.
    Ben told me that he would sent me a new motor. And I was told that it would probably be sent DHL by air and take about a week to get to me. I was counting on the motor being here by the 1st or 2st of June.
    Now tonight I received this from Ben.
    "Hi Gene,
    I'm very sorry for my mistake,i should had sent the motor to you before last week.
    I forgot it and feel so sorry about that,please excues me.
    BTW,please tell me your current address and phone call,so i can send the motor today."
    He ask again for my address even though he already has the information I had sent to him.
    Ben has cost me FIVE days production and maybe one of my best customers!

The only thing I can say is "Holly S***"!!!
    On a scale of 1 to 10 what do I think of the Thunderlaser factory tech support? = I think "-1" than is BAD! How could you forget something like this for five days. Especially after I told Ben how important it was for me to have the motor as soon as possible!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I'm not a happy camper with Thunderlaser Tech Support

FWIW, there is a Thunder Laser reseller in Texas that will almost certainly give you better service, though probably not under the warranty you have from the Chinese factory. Still, if it means keeping a client it might be worth buying a motor/drive from the Texas guy if he can supply it in a day or two.

USA-LASER-ENGRAVER

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    FWIW, there is a Thunder Laser reseller in Texas that will almost certainly give you better service, though probably not under the warranty you have from the Chinese factory. Still, if it means keeping a client it might be worth buying a motor/drive from the Texas guy if he can supply it in a day or two.

USA-LASER-ENGRAVER
    Hi Michael,
    If you are referring to Lone Star Laser in Whitehorse, Texas this is owned by Clay Lutterll. And he is the person I bought the Nova24 from. (Nay 11, 2017) Only thing, they do not carry any spare parts or carry any laser machines in stock Every thing comes from China including parts. The one I bought was a demo on loan from Thunder Laser. One problem I encountered was Thunder Laser had lead Clay into thinking and selling the Nova24 as having a 60 watt laser tube. When I got the Nova24 home set-up and running, I saw a test on Thunder L18322432aser web site on how to test the laser tube power. After running the test and sending the results to the tech at Thunder Laser. I found out that the laser tube is only a 40 watt tube. One of the main reasons to buy this Thunder Laser Nova24 is because I thought it had the 60 watt tube. There are NO marking on the machine as to power ratings or out put of the laser tube . Clay did the only thing that he could do and refunded the difference in the price of the 40 watt laser and the 60 watt laser. Clay is good people to deal with but I find that there is a limit to what they can help me with. Clay told me he had never seen a problem like the one I encountered and told me the best way to get to a tech at the factory. to help find the problem with the Nova24. I like the way the Nova24 is put together and operates when it does work but this problem with the X axes drive motor is a real bummer. And for the Thunder Laser technician forgetting to send the motor is with out a doubt inexcusable. I think the only reason he thought about the motor again, is because I sent him an email and ask if he could send a tracking number to me, that was Friday my time which would be Saturday his time. When he saw my email asking for a tracking Monday morning, all hell broke loose. The tech said this time he would send a tracking number but as yet I have not heard back from China. It is almost noon on Tuesday, in China as I write this. Do you think the tech may have forgotten again or even gives a damn.

Downloads
    Uploads

Huh.....an X axis motor is just a stepper motor......if it's in a gearbox reduction you are sunk, but it's still just a stepper motor attached to a gearbox if fitted...........and you spent 5 days in lost production figuring out that it was faulty and then some more time in international discourse trying to save a few bucks because it was a warranty thing and then lost a valued customer.

That is the science of stupid at it's highest degree......why didn't you just replace the motor with an off the shelf local motor and when the seller agreed to a warranty claim just send the bad motor back.....the actual seller is a US person not the Chinese maker.

If this is a demo model I would be surprised it came with a warranty.

If your US seller got it originally as a demo model...... and it appears he's just a drop shipper....... and sold it on to you...........it's potentially a second hand used item........how come it went bad as soon as you got it and you went to the China source for the warranty claim?

I think the seller has pulled a fast one on you.

Has America forgotten how to make anything and everything?
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mr.handlewanker,
    Let me see if I can educate you just a little. You are right, the motors on my laser are not true "Servo Motors". But I can tell you this the "Closed Loop Hybrid Servo Motors" are a far cry better than "Stepper Motors".

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gene8522 View Post
    Hi Michael,
    If you are referring to Lone Star Laser in Whitehorse, Texas this is owned by Clay Lutterll. And he is the person I bought the Nova24 from. (Nay 11, 2017) Only thing, they do not carry any spare parts or carry any laser machines in stock Every thing comes from China including parts.
    Hmm - I have email from that seller claiming that they have tubes, power supply, lenses, and controllers, though he doesn't mention anything about steppers or drives. The Nova 24 uses Leadshine steppers as you noted and they do have US support available here:

Leadshine World Offices

so you might try contacting them in the US if you haven't already. You might also try contacting Nolan Yang from Thunder Laser in the General Laser forum here to see if he can expedite your shipment from them. I've gotten packages from China delivered to me here in the states in as little as 2 days by DHL, so it should be possible.

Good luck on getting a fix in time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mr.handlewanker,
    Let me see if I can educate you just a little. You are right, the motors on my laser are not true "Servo Motors". But I can tell you this the "Closed Loop Hybrid Servo Motors" are a far cry better than "Stepper Motors".

Hi....duly educated...thanks......it would appear that the servo's you have are not all that reliable as a driving source....that's what it's all about......just a passing comment.

My main point is, when the SHTF and the whole outfit grinds to a halt, it's nice to be able to replace the faulty items without having to prowl the World for a supplier, but I guess you already know about that.

I watched the video and one things is apparent.....the servo drive is good if you have a heavy load to drive that could cause missed steps with a plain stepper motor system, but as you're driving a light X, Y and maybe Z axis laser machine that is not a happening.

It would be a situation if you were driving a router or mill that placed a load on the drive motors driving the axes etc, so I think the solution you have for a drive is plain overkill.....accurate yes, but overkill.
    Ian.

Last edited by handlewanker; 05-31-2017 at 01:27 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Hi....duly educated...thanks......it would appear that the servo's you have are not all that reliable as a driving source....that's what it's all about......just a passing comment.

It would be a situation if you were driving a router or mill that placed a load on the drive motors driving the axes etc, so I think the solution you have for a drive is plain overkill.....accurate yes, but overkill.
    Ian.
    With the fine detail work a laser cutter-engraver will do "accuracy" means a lot.
    I think you are saying that I should have bought a laser machine that is made any where but China. I would LOVE to have bought a machine made in the USA but right now I do not have $16K to $20K for a machine the same size.( I checked ) that is not made in China.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow....for 16K US$, and given that a laser machine frame work "can be" much lighter than a metal munching gantry router, as it doesn't have to resist the thrust of the cutter etc, I would think that as laser machining is so popular there would be a ready market in practically every back yard for a home built model, even a pretty big one as it's only extra frame metal.........copying a China built model would be a place to start I think.

The only difference in tooling is the laser burn tube and it's power supply + controls etc, and the Z axis is practically a fixed item anyway........what part of the !6k - 20k would that take up?

That's just curiosity on my part, but I see the drive to buy American is now on the cards........perhaps Trump would win biggies if he subsidised any home built effort as opposed to buying abroad......your local MP....congressman....whoever.... could get in on the act to win votes etc.....buying American is a serious business.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would like to update everyone on this problem with Thunder Laser tech support. Ben had forgotten to send me the replacement motor. I am also guilty of forgetting sometimes. Well that has been taken care of .I received a text message from DHL this morning, they have a delivery for me to be delivered June 2nd (tomorrow). WOW that was quick. Also I told Thunder Laser that I had been told that this Nova24 had a 60 watt laser tube installed in it. And after I had the machine home and did some testing I found that the tube is only a 40 watt. I am sure it was no ones fault just a misunderstanding or miscommunication. I had ask Nolan at Thunder Laser if he would send me an upgrade to the 60 watt laser tube at a reduced price? In response to this Thunder Laser has sent me, at no cost, a new 60 watt laser tube and power supply. The tube and power supply should be here June 20. This is what I call outstanding customer service. So after this problem, would I recommend the Thunder Laser? Absolutely I would. I like the way this machine is put together it looks like high quality workmanship and materials. The Thunder Laser is more money that the cheep-o laser that I have seen on ebay. But with customer service like this it is hard to compare them.
    Gene

Downloads
    Uploads

Congratulations Gene - are you back up and running now?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

They need to get cameras on these lasers like the MUSE and Glowforge. I hope they are working on this.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You want to buy out of the country so get ready for this type of stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by videorov View Post
    You want to buy out of the country so get ready for this type of stuff.
    Unlike some people, I am not made of money.

Downloads
    Uploads

They need to get cameras on these lasers like the MUSE and Glowforge. I hope they are working on this.
    To what end? Both the Muse and Glowforge cameras seem to have some issues, though they might get worked through in software updates.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The seem to be working from the videos I see on the net. The Glowforge seems to be working the best as far as the cameras goes. There are videos on Youtube of people using them
    and working things out. MUSE seems to be having more problems with drivers in software etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

The seem to be working from the videos I see on the net. The Glowforge seems to be working the best as far as the cameras goes. There are videos on Youtube of people using them
    and working things out. MUSE seems to be having more problems with drivers in software etc.
    https://community.glowforge.com/t/is...ligned/8716/55

for one example. Users have commented that placing artwork using the camera and the UI can be off a bit and several backers have expressed a desire for limit switches or end stops to establish known positions since GF lacks the required hardware and the camera accuracy isn't there yet.

What need do you see a camera serving on a laser cutter/engraver? I can somewhat see it's value for positioning a job so as to make optimum use of a partially cut sheet but not for much else. Cutting out hand drawing art seems like a gimmick that would get used a few times in the 1st week or two of use and not much after that.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

They are ahead of other companies in this design. Others will play catch up.

endurance_robots

great!

however if you need tech support about DIY engraving machines, CNCC laseraxe, benbox, mDraw, you amy write us:
    gf@EnduranceRobotsc.om

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mr.handlewanker,

Yeah but, you can buy them off the shelf... they aren't 'special'.

I love the way you are ripping TL after you bought a demo model second-hand, but the local guy is given props, for no support, no parts, no nothing.

Blaming a supplier for losing a customer ignores your part in this: this is a critical machine for you, yet you have no support agreement, no spares, nada.

If my livelihood rested on the reliability of machines, they would either be THE BEST machines I could afford, or I would be holding key spares and know how to service it myself.

From my perspective, apart from forgetting to actually post your motor, TL are being remarkably cooperative - can you guess the response from Trotec or Epilog if you bought an ex-demo model in another country and demanded hardware warranty support?

Edit: I see they resolved your problem - I'm surprised you didn't pay for a second, spare, stepper at the same time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast