Newbie Great Pre-sales Support from Thunderlaser

Thread: Great Pre-sales Support from Thunderlaser

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Red face Great Pre-sales Support from Thunderlaser

I am a retired engineer, and have started seriously investigating a laser cutter/engraver for hobby work. I just wanted to complement Thunderlaser on their pre-sales support, both Nolan in China, and Clay in the US. As an engineer, I am always accused of asking question after question when I am interested in learning about something. Nolan and Clay have been patient, and have responded immediately to all of my questions. They down sold me from my initial thoughts on what I would need, which will save me both money, and valuable shop space. The Thunderlaser web site is incredibly rich with information, detailed pictures of their products, and information/instructional videos.

I have seen posts down rating then for higher costs, while favoring other manufacturers. That's fine, everyone has there opinions, include this one. However, I tried getting information from some of these other recommended manufacturers. I found their web sites to be minimalistic, with very little information on their products. They didn't return my emails for requests for information and pricing, at least not yet???. Why would I buy from a company that was not attentive during the pre-sales phase.

I also saw one post criticizing the servo motors (hybrid steppers) employed by Thunderlaser, but they failed to realize that Thunderlaser is providing closed-loop control of there motors. I don't see other china manufacturers advertising this. Which is just one example of what appears to be a very highly engineered product. Other examples are their use of a beam combiner to place the red dot laser right in the main laser beam, and a complete package of safety shut-off switches for the access door, cooling water, and compressed air.

I can't wait to put in an order for a Nova 35 130W machine. But my wife rightfully insists that I get my workshop setup with all the other tools I have already purchased (CNC plasma cutter, press break, surface grinder, horizontal mill, just to name a few). And it's sailing season again.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Great Pre-sales Support from Thunderlaser

Have you been dealing direct with China or through the US distributor down in Texas?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I started with Nolan in China, and then found the US distributor in Texas. After working with both, Thunderlaser, China has advised me to purchase through the US distributor.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks - I'm planning on a Nova 24 and will pull the trigger on that or something else in a few weeks. The US guy has been very helpful and even connected me with a Thunderlaser owner that gave me a demo.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Thanks - I'm planning on a Nova 24 and will pull the trigger on that or something else in a few weeks. The US guy has been very helpful and even connected me with a Thunderlaser owner that gave me a demo.
    What did you think of the Nova 24?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck_M View Post
    What did you think of the Nova 24?
    The demo was for a Nova 35 but they are supposed to use most or all of the same components. I was suitably impressed by what I saw, though I'm new to all this. The laser seemed to run smoothly with no fuss and the exhaust system and air assist seemed to be effective. The frame was pretty stout with no vibrations and the wiring seemed to be well done with numbered wires. The "hybrid" steppers (not servos) are apparently made by Leadshine and I've been quite pleased with the 3-phase Leadshine steppers (different model that in the Nova) in my Tormach lathe and mill so I saw that as a plus. My main question right now is the rails. They looked good in person but appear to be different than the Hi-win linear guides that one sees in other "upper end" Chinese lasers so I'm just not sure about those.

Great Pre-sales Support from Thunderlaser-20170410_144811-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=MichaelHenry;2047922]The demo was for a Nova 35 but they are supposed to use most or all of the same components. I was suitably impressed by what I saw, though I'm new to all this. The laser seemed to run smoothly with no fuss and the exhaust system and air assist seemed to be effective. The frame was pretty stout with no vibrations and the wiring seemed to be well done with numbered wires. The "hybrid" steppers (not servos) are apparently made by Leadshine and I've been quite pleased with the 3-phase Leadshine steppers (different model that in the Nova) in my Tormach lathe and mill so I saw that as a plus. My main question right now is the rails. They looked good in person but appear to be different than the Hi-win linear guides that one sees in other "upper end" Chinese lasers so I'm just not sure about those.

I observed the same from the pictures and videos on the Thenderlaser site. I am no expert in linear system, but I did look at the type of rails you refer to as Hiwin. I believe they can handle higher loads and moments than I would expect to act on a Laser Cutter gantry. I have a CNC Plasma cutter that uses the V rail system, which looks very similar to the rails on the Thunderlaser. Don't know if they are equivalent, but I know the V rails are rather expensive..