Modding Davinci with longer table travel

Thread: Modding Davinci with longer table travel

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Modding Davinci with longer table travel

I have a Davinci, with 12" x 10" work envelope, would really like to have 24" x 10", so I can work on banjo necks and fingerboards without having to tile (which had worked just fine up to date)

Wondering if anyone has done this, or is it just not worth the effort and better to get a new machine?

I have metalworking experience, Bridgeport, lathes, etc, but am an electronics newbie. Also have some old Techno gantry assemblies that could probably by adapted.

I love the sturdiness and accuracy of the Davinci with the fixed gantry. I upgraded to Mach 3 and a Gecko G540 a few years ago, works great.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Modding Davinci with longer table travel

Which axis do you want to make longer? It's trivial to put in a longer y axis (front to back). Changing the gantry is more work than it's worth.
    Contact us if you wish. Armor CNC.

Regards
    Eric

Eric Feldman - Design Engineer, Programmer
    Armor CNC - http://www.armorcnc.com Support hours: 7am thru 10pm EST, 7 days a week

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Modding Davinci with longer table travel

Thanks for the reply Eric.

It is the y axis I want to extend to get approx 24" travel. How would you recommend I go about this? I was concerned about having the stepper motor hanging way out there, would that be problematic?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dixdance View Post
    Thanks for the reply Eric.

It is the y axis I want to extend to get approx 24" travel. How would you recommend I go about this? I was concerned about having the stepper motor hanging way out there, would that be problematic?

That's a lot of travel, but it can be done. So long as the motor and slide won't hit anything, and the machine is bolted down so it can't rock, you should be fine. We have the slides if you want to get them from us, contact us thru our website www.armorcnc.com

Thanks
    Eric

Eric Feldman - Design Engineer, Programmer
    Armor CNC - http://www.armorcnc.com Support hours: 7am thru 10pm EST, 7 days a week