Need Help! Anyone using Galaad / Kay for control ?

Thread: Anyone using Galaad / Kay for control ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anyone using Galaad / Kay for control ?

Hi all .,

Since i know that Galaad can be used for Isel / Techno Isel i am hoping i have come to the right place..

I have buildt myself a cnc machine " workbee 1500*1500 " with acme ball screws.

Im using Nema 23 57BYGH 23HS9430 Stepper Motors and DM542A drivers , 2 psu´s 36v 9Amp "one for 2 steppers" so getting 4.5Amp to each stepper ,,, 24v 5amp psu for the Axemotion Pulsar Board

I have the Axemotion Pulsar board and galaad / kay for control

Im having problems with the movements , i have set all 4 drivers to 3200 steps , have sat the pitch to 8mm as suppose to , all axis to 3200 steps and using coupled Y axis..

Now my problem is that when i run the X axis i get perfectly smooth movement and the right travel distance.

BUT ., when i try to run the Y or Z axis im getting a travel distance of 40mm instead of 10mm , and if i try to run with feedspeed above 30mm/s the Y axis will stall randomly on right or left stepper and the gantry gets skewed..

Im not getting stalls on the Z axis but not getting right travel distance..

I have been using kay as a controller for about a year now with an old isel machine and not really had any problems... so wondering if im doing something wrong here..

Another issue im having is to try and run with a slave axis instead , cause no matter what i try i never get any movement on the stepper..

I tried all settings i can for 4th and 5th axis... as independent axis , lathe , Y X Z slave but i can never move the stepper one bit in manual control.. i know its setup correctly with wiring as it works as a coupled axis... and the X works perfectly and everything is wired in the same way in my box..

So there must be something im doing wrong with the parameters in galaad that im just not seeing...

So im really there are some " nerds " with enourmous brains that can help me out

If anyone needs pictures ., please just tell me what u need pictures of and ill post them..

Best regards ,

Kristjan

Ps: im posting almost the same post in woodworking forum also..

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone using Galaad / Kay for control ?

Apply standard troubleshooting practice.
    You have 1 working axis and 2 not working axes. All otherwise identical in pitch/steps, right?
    Swap things around... amps, motors, wiring, etc. Keep close track of what you do and where things move and where the problem goes. Use process of elimination to isolate the cause.

My guess... wiring issue that's introducing/mangling pulses w/r/t ground or some such. Common with stepper amp wiring.

Good luck!

Eric Feldman - Design Engineer, Programmer
    Armor CNC - http://www.armorcnc.com Support hours: 7am thru 10pm EST, 7 days a week

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Ericscott..

Well your way of thinking was actually the way to go..

Cause after a lot of troubleshooting i decided to change my qires to the steppers them selfs.. and seems there must have been something wrong with my wires or simply too small a gauge cause everything worked after the change..

All though another problem arises as one closes but im afraid that will only be solved by upgrading my hardware to hg20 linear rails and 2005 ballscrews..

Seems that you have to be extremely lucky to get a good rigid and quit workbee machine... Unless you only wanna run slow feeds..

And my whole plan with this machine is to be able to cut fast , pretty precise +- 0.2mm and for it to be pretty quit when running 3d in the middle of the night ;-)

But thx alot for support..

Kristjan

Quote Originally Posted by ericscottf View Post
    Apply standard troubleshooting practice.
    You have 1 working axis and 2 not working axes. All otherwise identical in pitch/steps, right?
    Swap things around... amps, motors, wiring, etc. Keep close track of what you do and where things move and where the problem goes. Use process of elimination to isolate the cause.

My guess... wiring issue that's introducing/mangling pulses w/r/t ground or some such. Common with stepper amp wiring.

Good luck!