Techno Isel DaVinci drivers and stepper motors.

Thread: Techno Isel DaVinci drivers and stepper motors.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Techno Isel DaVinci drivers and stepper motors.

I have been building stepper systems for the past 24 years. When I got the job to replace the existing system with a G540 and ethernet I had to remove the existing printed circuit board. I was surprised to see that they used the L297 and L298 combo for drivers. I had build several version using that combo of chips Typically the L298 are old bipolar transistors H bridges. They work fine but the surprise is that looking at the current sense resistors indicate that the current was set to 2A. However, the stepper motors were wired bipolar parallel with a current rating of 4 amps. So I was baffled why they would use a 4 amp motor with a 2A driver. Stepper motors current is a big factor in torque. If you wire the motor for bipolar parallel the inductance is 1/2 of a single winding but will yield a higher speed than wired in series. Inductance is the measure of how fast the coils charge or discharge. All I can think of is that they wanted the higher speed and didn't care about the torque.

Dan

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Techno Isel DaVinci drivers and stepper motors.

I can answer my own post. I relooked at the circuit board and see they use one L297 translator and 2 L298's in parallel thus they get the 4A. I think I might try is to bypass all the other components and see if I can solder some leads onto the L297 so I can then use the step and direction function of the translator to drive the two l298's with mach3. But I have a couple other projects first.
    Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Instead of soldering some leads to the L297 you could use the socket of the MC74HC245A chip on the mainboard of the ISEL.
    I did it this way and till now, had no problems with this solution. I wrote a small writeup here: https://github.com/Sebastian-Schuetz/ISEL-EP1090

Sebastian

Downloads
    Uploads

Hallo habe versucht dich zu erreiche. Wäre nett wen du mir eine Mail als pm schicken würdest zur Kontakt Aufnahme lg