Techno Vacuum Table Help

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Techno Vacuum Table Help

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Techno Vacuum Table Help

I like to make my own techno vacuum table, can somebody explain the stock setup you buy from them.
    I looked a the pictures on the web site, but they lack detail.
    How are the manifold hoses attached to the bottom of the aluminum table?
    Is there just a 2" or so dia hole cut into each extrusion and the hole is glued?
    Are holes drilled in the top of the extrusion to line up with the mdf holes?
    I would love if somebody would explain or if you have ideas to make your own. Thanks for your help!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The thing with building your own vac table is: How much can you spend? A full 4 by 8 table could easily use a 7 or 10 HP vac.....that's big in my world! I think the hoses & holes are the easy part of the equation. Tell your budget & we'll see what others have to say.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Oaktreeman View Post
    The thing with building your own vac table is: How much can you spend? A full 4 by 8 table could easily use a 7 or 10 HP vac.....that's big in my world! I think the hoses & holes are the easy part of the equation. Tell your budget & we'll see what others have to say.
    My budget is under 1,000$ ?I simple want to mimic what techno sells for 2,500.
    Which includes the manifold, hoses, plugs, ect. If any body has a techno vacuum setup I would like to know if you have holes drilled in the alum table to line up with the the mdf grid that I assume is glued to the alum table.

As far as the vacuum source, it will most likely start with a shop vac then I will buy a real pump asap.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just got the install manual from techno, Which happen to answer all my questions.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by eruzich View Post
    My budget is under 1,000$ ?I simple want to mimic what techno sells for 2,500.
    Which includes the manifold, hoses, plugs, ect. If any body has a techno vacuum setup I would like to know if you have holes drilled in the alum table to line up with the the mdf grid that I assume is glued to the alum table.

As far as the vacuum source, it will most likely start with a shop vac then I will buy a real pump asap.
    You are lucky you got a quote for $2,500... mine was $3,000.

I have since decided to build my own "Techno" knock-off. I have already test fit the initial install and hope to have the complete install done by the end of the month.

If I continue to have a high degree of success, I may be offering a bolt on kit to Techno owners, who want to save $$$ on their real vacuum table.

The kit will include all the 6061-T6 vacuum extensions (threaded to accept the 2" PVC connectors), a full set of threaded PVC Connectors, a full set of 2" PVC Ball Valves, End Caps to close off the table and all the necessary hardware plus instructions and dxf files for the plenum strips... for easy installation.

Just add the necessary vacuum source, shop vac, blower, etc., and a few dollars of pvc pipe or flex hose and you would be in business.

The target price point is $995+ flat rate USPS shipping for a 4896 Machine. If it actually comes together, look for me to advertise the new venture here on the Zone and in the Classified section.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Techno Vacuum Table Help-techno-isel-4-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great I will leep a look out. Keep me posted

Downloads
    Uploads

I have all the milling of the components completed. Turned out very nice! I could not be more pleased.

Next step is the installation, with photographs and maybe some video, to show how easy it is to install.

Then I need to remove the existing vacuum table ( will offer to anyone that wants to stop by and pick it up) and mill off all the black strips on the extruded table top.

Followed by milling the replacement plenum strips and attaching them to the extruded table top.

Finally, I will add the spoil board and test out the new vacuum setup. If all goes as planned, I will have a fully functional vacuum table setup, for around 1/3 the price of the factory vacuum table, which will operate off of a regenerative blower, ring compressor or shop vac.

Hoping to be done before Christmas!

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking forward to some pics

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Eruzich was the installation manual a hardcopy or a pdf? If it is a pdf would you forward it to me? This is something I have been kicking around myself.
    tia,
    Scott

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Update with Pictures

For those that asked, below are some pictures of the Tech-NO Vacuum Table Kit I have designed for my Techno 4896.

It is a component based system, 6061-T6 Aluminum with dual, milled chambers and a base plate for attaching to the bottom of the table. Both mating surfaces have been surfaced milled.

You will also note that the dual chamber section, has had the faced opened up to match the cross-section of the table extrusion; there is an access slot milled into the top of each chamber for installing and removing T-Slot based tools; the top surface of the chamber unit is .005-.010 below the extruded table top so I would not get hung up sliding my heavy tail stock off the table.

As you can see, there is also no need for end-caps on the vacuum end.

After assembling the a chamber and base component, I use two (2) 1/4-20 cap screws and T- Nuts, to attach the chamber to a section of table extrusion from the bottom of the extruded table.

I then use a center punch to locate the hole for attaching the chamber against the end of the table extrusion. I drilled and tapped the hole location and reattached the chamber unit with the single cap screw; pulling it snuggly against the end of the table extrusion.

I then use up to four (4) 1/4-20 cap screws and T-Nuts, and attach the chamber unit from below the table extrusion.

I insert the two included Male-Female threaded adapters, into the milled and threaded chamber ports, cut some 2" PVC/ABS piping and then add the 2" Ball Valve to control air flow for that specific vacuum chamber.

I then go to the other end of your table and thread the two existing hole locations in the extruded table section and add the end cap to close off the entire section of extrusion and I am done with one complete section of the Tech-NO Vacuum Table kit.

I repeat for as many extruded table sections that I want to add vacuum capability to on my Techno Extruded Table.

For sealing the edges, since the mating surfaces are milled flat, I will use a thin layer of brush on Copper Gasket material around the perimeter. For the surface mating to the end of the table and on the end caps, I may use a bead of silicone, as I cannot control the flatness or squareness of the Techno Table from the factory.

All in all, I am pretty pleased with my "much less costly" Tech-NO Vacuum Table Kit.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Techno Vacuum Table Help-img_7246-jpg   Techno Vacuum Table Help-img_7247-assembly-jpg   Techno Vacuum Table Help-img_7248-mating-surface-jpg   Techno Vacuum Table Help-img_7249-fittings-jpg  

Techno Vacuum Table Help-img_7250-installed-fit-jpg   Techno Vacuum Table Help-img_7254-end-caps-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

That is awesome! Did you use the techno to mill those parts?

- Stupid question! I just saw the earlier posted pict!

Last edited by Pplug; 11-29-2010 at 07:17 PM. Reason: stupidity
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

Downloads
    Uploads

Glen,

Thanks for the kind words.

Sometimes necessity is the mother of invention... they say.

I could not afford $3,000 for a factory set up that is nothing more than an extruded table top cut into 6" strips, a couple of 2" threaded holes and a set of end caps, ball valves and fittings. I realize they want to sell the Phenolic Strips but phenolic is not necessary.

With my kit setup, some additional 2" PVC/ABS piping and some 6" x 97" Extira Strips ($60 for a full 49"x97" sheet!), a milling program to cut the Extira plenum and mill the vacuum holes into the table top (nothing but a few minutes of my time)... and I am good to go.

It will take longer to remove the black strips from the table top than to install the vacuum chamber units.

My target is to keep the whole package at about 30% of what the factory charges... we shall see.

Dave

Last edited by Dave's_Not_Here; 11-30-2010 at 02:11 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Post Good Job, and for reference the techno retrofit guide is attached

Looks great. I like how you simplified the attachment profiles to the basics.
    It really goes to show how to make a quality solution at a fraction of the price. Hopefully techno will notice.

Looks like the pdf upload failed..email me if you like the pdf file direct
    (:erik.woodstile@gmail.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks great. I like how you simplified the attachment profiles to the basics.
    It really goes to show how to make a quality solution at a fraction of the price. Hopefully techno will notice.

Looks like the pdf upload failed..email me if you like the pdf file direct
    (:erik.woodstile@gmail.com
    Thanks for the compliments.

It really is a simple and cost effective solution. Drill one hole, tap three holes (two of which are already in the extrusion) and you have one vacuum module installed. It is sad that Techno cannot see the benefit in cost effective solutions for their users. In the end, techno is the only loser, as their clients will find a way to meet their own needs. And it's not the employees, for the most part,... it typically seems to come back to management.

This kit can be replicated for any extruded cross-section, not just Techno extruded tables. If someone can take accurate measurements, it can be milled to fit. Pretty slick, actually.

I sent you a PM where to send the PDF.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Vacuum Module Plumbing

One of the things I neglected to point out, is that each Vacuum Module has two vacuum chamber ports.

Since each Techno table has five (5) "pairs" of extrusion runs, effectively giving you 10 individual runs, I can now open up or closed off, any single run.

So, if I have a 6" wide x 96" piece of material that I am machining, I can close off all of the other nine (9) runs and hold the board on the single run and I don't have to plug off the holes in the other half of the "paired" dual extrusion. The flexibility is significantly increased.

Refer to the attached PDF for an example.

I can plumb the Vacuum Modules in any configuration that meets my needs, including one Ball Valve per Vacuum Module if that is all I need. If my needs change, I can add additional Ball Valves and some more piping and fine tune it to exactly what I need.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Techno Vacuum Table Help-vacuum-plumbing-example-pdf  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default So is it for sale yet?

Let me know. If it works, Im ready to purchase it. Or purchase the cad files to create the parts. Either way, lets see some video.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mikenicee View Post
    Let me know. If it works, Im ready to purchase it. Or purchase the cad files to create the parts. Either way, lets see some video.
    Hey Mike,

Where do you call home and what do you do?

As for being ready for sale yet and wanting to see some videos, I still have some work on my end to do yet... including pricing if the kits are to be sold.

1. Finalize my table plumbing (parts are in transit)
    2. Connect my 10HP Ring Compressor to the 10HP VFD and wire it to the supply panel.
    3. Connect the 10HP Ring Compressor to the table plumbing.
    4. Pick up a sheet of Extira and LD MDF.
    5. Donate my current vacuum table and strip the black material from my 4896 extruded table.
    6. Mill the Extira into plenum strips and attach to my extruded table with cap screws and VHB Tape.
    7. Mill the vacuum holes through the Extira and the extruded table.

Then I can run some test files. I can also speed the time-line up by hooking my shop vac to the plumbing for the initial testing. In any event, you can be sure it will be posted here in the not too distant future.

D

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Making Progress...

... All of the TECH-NO vacuum modules are installed, as are the end caps on the far end of the extruded table top. It took about 45 minutes to drill and hand tap all the TECH-NO vacuum module holes and end caps.

I have then on as a test fit and for measuring for the plumbing. I just completed the CAD drawings, done to scale, and now know that all the PVC components will fit just fine without interference or the use of expensive ribbed hoses (see attached PDF). You gotta love it when a plan comes together!

Next step is to remove the TECH-NO vacuum modules and end caps and re-install with liquid copper gasket. Then cut the PVC pipe pieces and assemble all the plumbing. After that, I can mill the table top and new plenum and test with my shop vac, followed by the Fuji 10 HP Ring Compressor.

Won't make my end of the year deadline but not that far behind!

Will post more pictures as I re-assemble the TECH-NO vacuum modules and all the other components. Once it is all complete, I will look over the cost and see how close I came to my target of 25% of the MFG. Retail Version, along with some assessments.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Techno Vacuum Table Help-tech-10-zone-vacuum-manifold-pdf  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I like to make my own techno vacuum table, can somebody explain the stock setup you buy from them.
    Is there just a 2" or so dia hole cut into each extrusion and the hole is glued?
    I would love if somebody would explain or if you have ideas to make your own. Thanks for your help!
    I too would like to know this information also, ive been working on a few prototypes my self and its similar to how i think the techno bed works, but what i cannot understand is if the techno bed only has those small holes in that you can block up with the small plugs then how to you get the from needed to hold MDF down let alone use MFD as a spoil board!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I too would like to know this information also, ive been working on a few prototypes my self and its similar to how i think the techno bed works, but what i cannot understand is if the techno bed only has those small holes in that you can block up with the small plugs then how to you get the from needed to hold MDF down let alone use MFD as a spoil board!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast