Techno cnc Lathe - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Techno cnc Lathe

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Techno cnc Lathe

My servos on my lc4896 run at 48v. I bet yours do too. They use encoders on the axis but I'm not sure about the drive motor.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am trying to get specs on the servo motors, no luck so far.
    All the documentation indicates encoders.

I intend to use either EMC or Mach3. I have both loaded on the PC.
    Whichever is easist to get up to speed quickly.

The power indicator shows 48V, so I suppose that indicates something takes 48V - almost certainly the servos.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Techno cnc Lathe-img_6616-cropped-jpg   Techno cnc Lathe-techno-mb-jpg  
    Last edited by AR1911; 11-12-2015 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Replace PDF with JPG

Downloads
    Uploads

So, now I would need a 48V power supply.
    Techno incorporated the PS electronics - rectifier, capacitors - onto the single board (above).
    I wonder if I can use this toroidal transformer and buy a board that will make a proper power supply out of it?

Downloads
    Uploads

This PDF has several pages of text listing the pinouts for the various connectors.
    Does this help provide any helpful clues?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Techno cnc Lathe-0229_lc_and_lathe_board-callouts-connectors_2-pdf  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lentzie View Post
    AR1911 I wouldn't waste your money or time on a PCI card. The Techno lathe turned out to be a total piece of junk! After many hours of trying unsuccessfully to get it to work I convinced Techno to send me a new lathe. The new lathe was also non functional. I angrily returned the second lathe and purchased an Ajax with Centroid controller from Forrest Scientific. I am very happy with the Ajax lathe. I have spoken to several Tech Ed teachers I met at a conference who had the exact same experience with the Techno. I have converted a Spectralite lathe and a Shopbot router to Mach 3. I highly recommend that approach for your Techno Lathe.
    Lentzie, I presume you mean that the lathe controls are junk, is that right?
    If I convert it to Mach3 or EMC, all that will be replaced. Or at least, the main PCB/motherboard. Everything else looks like standard stuff, and of decent quality. The VFD is a nice unit.

The basic machine seems OK mechanically. The headstock and bearings look a bit light duty, but I suspect it's the same hardware used in the Asian 9x20 manual lathes.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes. The issues were with the control system. The lathe seemed ok but I was never able to get either machine to run properly. I have no experience with configuring Mach3 and servo motors, however I'm certain the good folks here on the zone can help you out. I have had success with CNC4PC break out boards and other items they sell. For the type of work I do in my classroom and home shop I can't see any benefit of servo's over stepper motors. There are others who I'm sure would disagree. If you find the cost and complexity of setting up the servos is prohibitive you can purchase steppers for about the price of that PCI card. You have a nice platform to work with, I'm sure with the help of the Zone you will get it running.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, so these looks like my choices:

(1) Use the existing servos, if able to get specs
    2 Gekko E320X @$120 ea
    48V Power supply - $50?
    C11 BOB $120

Total $390

or (2) I can abandone the servos and go with steppers

1 Gekko G540X $300
    2 steppers $100

Total $400

For the same money, (2) is the simplest, with far less opportunity for me to screw it up (and not know why).

After a bit of research, I can see why people rave about the G540X. It's one-stop shopping.

Looks like the way to go. Thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads

Would these OE parts have any value on the used market?

Servos, main board, toroid transsformer - Ebay?

Downloads
    Uploads

Update: Gekko has no info on the servos.
    G540 and steppers look like the path forward.

Coincidentally, I just sold an Emco C5CNC control unit for...$400, so the conversion is funded.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ive got one from a university surplus. no luck / unwilling to pay for computer card. am going to use gecko 540 that I have from a cnc mill I built a couple years ago, just going to buy a couple steppers to replace the servos on the machine. I will keep checking back for advice on what to use and such.
    Paul

Downloads
    Uploads

I am at the point of ordering the G540 and selecting steppers.
    Input on stepper selection appreciated.

I figured on buying both from Automation Technology, but they don't seem to have a support contact other than the sub-forum on this board.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've ordered tons of stuff from them including laser engravers and a 4x4 CNC router. They are trustworthy. I've used 3 g540 kits and they have all come from automation technologies. They are all still working flawlessly. Just don't get the kit with the 425 oz/in motors, they need a 60 v power supply to provide that holding power.

http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

Downloads
    Uploads

AT is recommending a 381-oz-in stepper with a 48V power supply.
    Does that sound about right?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by AR1911 View Post
    AT is recommending a 381-oz-in stepper with a 48V power supply. Does that sound about right?
    Yup about spot on. You'll have plenty of power and speed.

http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

Downloads
    Uploads

Well OK then!
    All I need now is a little positive movement on my Paypal account

Downloads
    Uploads

Update. After bit more research and a good deal on some servo drives, I have decide to try to run the OE servos. I just ordered some G320X drives.

I will also need a power supply, as the OE transformer feeds into the main board which incorporates the power supply electronics. I would like to use the original toroidal transformer as it has all the taps for 5V 12V 24V and 48V. I'm no EE, and I don't have the electronics knowledge to build this transformer into a proper power supply. Can I buy that part?
    Is there a good DIY page to show me how to build one? I have some good bridge rectifiers. A capacitor, and what else?

I will also want a decent breakout board with a 10V analog tap for the spindle VFD control. I may just order one of the $15 ebay boards unless someone has a good argument against that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by AR1911 View Post
    AT is recommending a 381-oz-in stepper with a 48V power supply.
    Does that sound about right?
    AR1911~

Pplug is right. The config that AT gave you is a strong one. If you go this route I'd get the KL23H2100-35-4B stepper motors
    instead of the KL232100-30-4B. The 3.5A version of the these steppers have a lower inductance and resistance and therefore
    faster "electrical time constant."

Stepper Motor Speed and Torque Information – NMB Technologies

Sounds like you've committed to servos tho'. Thought this post might help anyway.

~john

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by johnohara View Post
    If you go this route I'd get the KL23H2100-35-4B stepper motors
    instead of the KL232100-30-4B. The 3.5A version of the these steppers have a lower inductance and resistance and therefore
    faster
    Noted. I tried to find both numbers to compare specs and better understand your recommendation, but the -30-4B did not come up. Superceded?
    "electrical time constant."

Quote Originally Posted by johnohara View Post
    Stepper Motor Speed and Torque Information – NMB Technologies

Sounds like you've committed to servos tho'. Thought this post might help anyway.
    Committed is too strong a word. I found servo drives for $120/pair, and I think I could recover that if it doesn't work out.
    Everything else I need will also work if I go to steppers. I'm just intriqued by the idea of using the servos.

I have a parallel project retrofitting an Emco lathe with steppers.

This is all an educational thing for me. Thanks for input!

Downloads
    Uploads

AR1911~

Missed the "H" in the first part number. Apologies.

KL23H2100-35-4B vs. KL23H2100-30-4B

That will let you check the pdf file for each drive to compare specs.

The link I provided is an article that has a sub paragraph titled "Performance Factors."
    It does a nice job describing the "electrical time constant" of a stepper motor. Which
    is why those values are included in the motor's spec.

~john

Downloads
    Uploads

Let us know how it turns out. I have read somewhere that the 1000 tick encoders have trouble with the gecko servo drives, but that was years ago. I read that the drivers couldn't keep up with the encoders. I read that 300 or 400 tick encoders work best. Just take my advice with a little salt. I'm not 100% sure. I hope it works for you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast