Spindle gets hot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spindle gets hot.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Spindle gets hot.

I bought a new Taig mill from Deepgroove and the spindle doesn´t run easily and it gets very hot after just some minutes on 8000 rpm. It doesn´t help to loose the nut at the top, so I need to know if this is normal for new spindles and if it will improve after I have used it for a time. Or could this damage the spindle in any ways?

Are there anything to do with a problem like this?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spindle gets hot.

Quote Originally Posted by jaru-eri View Post
    I bought a new Taig mill from Deepgroove and the spindle doesn´t run easily and it gets very hot after just some minutes on 8000 rpm. It doesn´t help to loose the nut at the top, so I need to know if this is normal for new spindles and if it will improve after I have used it for a time. Or could this damage the spindle in any ways?

Are there anything to do with a problem like this?
    If the temperature gets above the Bearing max it will damage the Bearing and shorten it's life

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I had that one time on a mini mill after changing bearings.
    Had the preload too heavy. This could be the cause.
    But when I loosened the top nut I also had no difference.
    The reason: The bearing was a tight fit on the shaft so stayed true.
    Fix was: Undo the nut a bit and hit the shaft top. The bearing shifted which looseened the preload. Then started the gradual tightening process again until I got it right.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    I had that one time on a mini mill after changing bearings.
    Had the preload too heavy. This could be the cause.
    But when I loosened the top nut I also had no difference.
    The reason: The bearing was a tight fit on the shaft so stayed true.
    Fix was: Undo the nut a bit and hit the shaft top. The bearing shifted which looseened the preload. Then started the gradual tightening process again until I got it right.
    I tried to do that but it didn´t rotate better. I´m now running the spindle unloaded at a very low speed and will see if that helps after som hours.

Last edited by jaru-eri; 07-24-2021 at 03:34 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    if its new claim under warranty....it should work straight out of the box no problems.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

address supplier with your claim. The spindle should run very easy. Check the static runout with micrometer, check with spindle specifications.

Downloads
    Uploads

The problem is that I bought it from an ebay dealer (deepgroove) and even if he accept a return, the shipping cost from norway to USA is very expensive, so it will maybe be a cheaper option for me to disassemble the spindle block, check the bearings and maybe replace them.

Downloads
    Uploads

right.
    It's possible, that bearings are still good. Maybe it's just enough to assemble it back properly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    right.
    It's possible, that bearings are still good. Maybe it's just enough to assemble it back properly.
    They can never be assembled correctly, the design is the problem they use a regular Deep Grove Bearings and these are not suitable to be pre-loaded, the design is as cheap as you can get and anyone that buys a machine with a spindle design like this can expect these kind of problems, the preload nut they use can be adjusted but even this is hit and miss it is what it is a poor design for a spindle

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    They can never be assembled correctly, the design is the problem they use a regular Deep Grove Bearings and these are not suitable to be pre-loaded, the design is as cheap as you can get and anyone that buys a machine with a spindle design like this can expect these kind of problems, the preload nut they use can be adjusted but even this is hit and miss it is what it is a poor design for a spindle
    Which spindle will then be the best alternative to use together witn a consew motor?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    right.
    This is an interesting read on spindle / bearings
    https://axotron.se/blog/changing-spi...taig-cnc-mill/

Downloads
    Uploads

Which spindle will then be the best alternative to use together witn a consew motor?
    You could redesign the one you have by using precision angular contact Bearings, you would have to make a spacer to go between the ( 2 ) Bearings this spacer you machine to give you the right amount of Preload Here is a spindle I made recently

And another spindle I built some years ago on the Zone, to give you an idea of how you could change the spindle you have with just bearings and a spacer

Or even just adding a spacer between the Bearings you already have, this will then not allow the preload to change once you have made the spacer the correct size

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-w...dle-build.html

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spindle gets hot.-spindle-parts-1-jpg   Spindle gets hot.-spindle-assembled-3-jpg  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice set of parts. Looks like a good bit of precision work (and probarbly expensive).

Downloads
    Uploads

You could redesign the one you have by using precision angular contact Bearings, you would have to make a spacer to go between the ( 2 ) Bearings this spacer you machine to give you the right amount of Preload Here is a spindle I made recently

And another spindle I built some years ago on the Zone, to give you an idea of how you could change the spindle you have with just bearings and a spacer

Or even just adding a spacer between the Bearings you already have, this will then not allow the preload to change once you have made the spacer the correct size

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-w...dle-build.html
    Do you think this spacer is an option or is it already installed inside the block I have?

https://taigtools.com/product/er-spindle-cartridge/

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Nice set of parts. Looks like a good bit of precision work (and probarbly expensive).
    Not expensive if you can design and machine the parts yourself, this was all done in my home shop

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you think this spacer is an option or is it already installed inside the block I have?

https://taigtools.com/product/er-spindle-cartridge/
    So that looks promising but it would have to have 2 Spacers ( 1 ) on the inside of the Bearing races and ( 1 ) on the outside of the Bearings like you can see

So is hard to tell what they have done there, without a parts drawing if it has a spacer on the inside of that outer one then that would work

Does your spindle already have this I would not know only the manufacture would know this, if it has then the inner spacer may be to long it would only be tenths of ( 1 ) thousandth's or a few microns to come of the center spacer

It all depends how they are preloading the Bearings it could be the outer spacer or the inner spacer if they have one, so if you where to take it apart after notifying the manufacture, you would measure the length of the spacer or spacer's what ever the number is ( 1 ) will be longer than the other

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Not expensive if you can design and machine the parts yourself, this was all done in my home shop
    Will it be possible to use a spacer that has been made of pvc or other plastic materials or do it need to be steel? And do you know the exact lenght of the spacer that wil be suitable for a taig spindle block?

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been in contact with Taigtools but they don´t answer me anymore. They asked me to send a picture of the spindle and nut in the housing and I sent a picture where it also show that it was driven by a consew motor and maybe that´s the reason for not answering me anymore. Anyway I think it´s a very bad customer service they offer.

Downloads
    Uploads

Will it be possible to use a spacer that has been made of pvc or other plastic materials or do it need to be steel? And do you know the exact lenght of the spacer that wil be suitable for a taig spindle block?
    No that would not be possible for the spacer to be made with Plastic of any kind, it must be made with steel or similar materials, there is no way to know the exact length every Bearing Preload like this can be a little different

Mactec54

I have been in contact with Taigtools but they don´t answer me anymore. They asked me to send a picture of the spindle and nut in the housing and I sent a picture where it also show that it was driven by a consew motor and maybe that´s the reason for not answering me anymore. Anyway I think it´s a very bad customer service they offer.
    The problem is likely that Taig is the manufacturer and you bought from deepgroove who is supposed to provide you with the customer service. He sells at the deepest discount possible but there is a risk you take when paying bottom dollar… if things go wrong he’ll ghost you. At least that’s what he did to me years ago when he paired the wrong motors with a xylotex board and I couldn’t get over 10 IPM feeds without missing steps.

That said, couple questions… how are you measuring RPM? The spindle is able to do 10k but the sealed bearings get too hot much above that. The seals are what generate most of the heat. Without seals they have a higher limit. Have you placed a tach on the actual spindle pulley?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast