Lathe Questions

Thread: Lathe Questions

Shabalala

Default Lathe Questions

What size parts can you work with on these machines? What's the max diameter and practical length given that there's no tailstock?

Can you control the angle of the C5 spindle? I'm interested in doing off centre drilling/threading with live tooling.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Lathe Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Shabalala View Post
    What size parts can you work with on these machines? What's the max diameter and practical length given that there's no tailstock?

[It really depends on the part configuration and the operation you want to perform. If you put side leverage on the end of a part that's sticking way out of the chuck, then it can be dislodged. But if you're drilling from the end without putting axial loads on it, it can work fine. A general rule of thumb is not to let the part protrude more than twice its diameter. Soft materials like aluminum will require less pressure to remove material than steel will, so the diameter of an aluminum part can be larger than a steel one before you start bogging down.]

Can you control the angle of the C5 spindle? I'm interested in doing off centre drilling/threading with live tooling.
    [On the stock machine the angle is fixed, but I suppose you could build a mount for the spindle and motor that would allow the spindle assembly to pivot. You'd need to make some riser blocks for the tooling to keep everything on the same level, though.]

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Shabalala

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    It really depends on the part configuration and the operation you want to perform. If you put side leverage on the end of a part that's sticking way out of the chuck, then it can be dislodged. But if you're drilling from the end without putting axial loads on it, it can work fine. A general rule of thumb is not to let the part protrude more than twice its diameter. Soft materials like aluminum will require less pressure to remove material than steel will, so the diameter of an aluminum part can be larger than a steel one before you start bogging down.
    Makes sense, but what is the height above the bed?

On the stock machine the angle is fixed, but I suppose you could build a mount for the spindle and motor that would allow the spindle assembly to pivot. You'd need to make some riser blocks for the tooling to keep everything on the same level, though.
    I'm not talking about pivoting the spindle, not talking about moving the headstock at all, I meant rotating the spindle as it usually does around it's normal axis but having a live tool move parallel to the Z rotation axis and drilling say 1cm from the Z axis centre, rotating the spindle say 90 degrees and drilling another hole etc. Here's an example part I'm talking about:

https://alexnld.com/product/lmf6uu-6...ring-cnc-part/

Basically, for this there would need to be a way of measuring the position of the spindle at any given time. Hope that's a bit clearer.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Shabalala View Post
    Makes sense, but what is the height above the bed?

Assuming you're talking about the distance between the center of the spindle and the bed, on the Micro Lathe (the one with a tailstock) it's 2.284". On the Taigturn (the one without it) it's about 1.75".

I'm not talking about pivoting the spindle, not talking about moving the headstock at all, I meant rotating the spindle as it usually does around it's normal axis but having a live tool move parallel to the Z rotation axis and drilling say 1cm from the Z axis centre, rotating the spindle say 90 degrees and drilling another hole etc. Here's an example part I'm talking about:

https://alexnld.com/product/lmf6uu-6...ring-cnc-part/

Basically, for this there would need to be a way of measuring the position of the spindle at any given time. Hope that's a bit clearer.
    Normally,I'd recommend the Taig mill for a part like that, not a lathe. But I suppose you could do it on the Taigturn lathe by mounting a drill bit in the spindle and a rotary table on the bed. Then you could drill the holes by moving off center the radius of the bolt circle and indexing the rotary table for the angular hole locations (90 degrees, in this case). Clearances would be tight; you might need to use riser blocks to give yourself enough room. I don't think it would work with the live tooling on the bed, since you'd need a way to index the spindle.]

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

I have put a nema24 stepper on the lathe spindle. Now I can use the spindle like a rotary table. This spindle stepper is activated by a leaver. For turning I still use the original motor. I use this setup for broaching, knurling (using a threading tool), tool grinding, threading etc. I place the grinding or drilling tool in the toolpost.

Downloads
    Uploads

You could also do a similar thing with a servo on the spindle, replacing the standard motor. Then you could run the spindle as a spindle, or position it for drilling. Might need a brake as well, for solid holding while drilling. I think you would want a good-sized servo motor for this.

Shabalala

Thanks guys, good ideas!

Shabalala

On the Taigturn (the one without it) it's about 1.75"
    Hmm, that's not a lot of space. Surprising to see the micro lathe with the larger envelope! Well not too bad I suppose. Not 100% sure how much I need at this point in time however.

Last edited by Shabalala; 05-24-2019 at 09:08 PM.