Steppers not rapiding to home

Thread: Steppers not rapiding to home

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Steppers not rapiding to home

Hi guys i am here yet witg another problem. I have a Taig micromill with a 2000HD driver box and Nema steppers. Problem is when i do a Rapid G0 to home or to any location X, Y seem to bind or jam. I have tunned the motor and adjusted accel setting many different ways and still keeps doing it. I talked to talk to Kurt over at Microproto and he told me it had to do with it being open loop and instead of using X,Y simotaneously change it to single axis at a time. Kurt also mentioned this also happens with modern Geckos box’s. Can some help? Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Steppers not rapiding to home

I don't think it has anything to do with being open-loop but I am no authority on the subject. I have and open-loop stepper X3 mill and I can issue a command that simultaneously rapids all three of my axes to a specific location and it does it with no problem. I think it may be a problem with the controller not being able to output enough pulses to drive both the X and Y at the same time or the PSU not providing enough power.

Downloads
    Uploads

Does this only happen on combined moves? If you ask it to move to zero in X or Y separately, it works fine? If so, it does sound like a power issue. If the axes are having trouble individually, though, then it's probably a mechanical issue, or lack of lubrication. You do have plenty of way oil on the slides and screws, don't you?

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for feedback guys, hmmm it could be controller it is a 2003 model from Microproto. There is a big fat capacitor that carries 50volts, i am thinking capacitor might be culprit.yes awbry it only happens in command moves at same time. Funny thing is, it machines parts out good, with combined x,y,z. I have relubed all ways and adjusted gibs accordingly, so this is not the problem, the bed moves nice and freely with no hesitation.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok i did a quick test, i Did a Rapid move on axis:
    X, Z simotaneously this is ok
    Y, Z simotaneously this is ok
    Y, X simotaneously this is where i loose steps.

So this tells me it is not a power issue, maybe somthing wrong with X,Y logic board? From what i see inside the Microproto box X, Y axis are on the same logic board, and Z and A (4th axis) are on same another logic board, so this tells me somthing might be wrong with X, Y board?! Hmm

Downloads
    Uploads

ok i checked the Logic boards and all components are good! So this tells me it is a power issue. I suspect X, Y axis are fighting for power, therefore causing to miss some steps. Does anyone know what i could do in this senario? Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Paul714 View Post
    ok i checked the Logic boards and all components are good! So this tells me it is a power issue. I suspect X, Y axis are fighting for power, therefore causing to miss some steps. Does anyone know what i could do in this senario? Thanks
    First thought, have you checked the internal fuse? The high voltage supply has one hidden away inside the box ...
    Next question ... are you using the MPS2003 software or Mach3? What speed is the rapid set to? Normally Z is set to a lower maximum than X and Y ... just dropping the max on X and Y may help but if X and Y move cleanly on their own there SHOULD not be a problem with both running. If Mach3, what pulse width is set in Motor Tuning? Needs to be 10uS rather than the 'max' of 5 indicated on the setings page ...
    All 4 drivers in the box are identical, so one can simply swap XY with ZA and tell Mach3 to use the other pins for each just to eliminate a driver problem.

Lester Caine - G8HFL
    http://medw.co.uk - Home of electronics for the Model Engineer

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi isces thank you for feedback,i replaced th internal 2A and External 3A fueses.i am using MPS2003 i also have Mach3 but i can not get the Controller driver to run smoothly with Mach3 it just sounds nasty when jogging or execute a program, and i tunned the steppers every way possible, with no luck, therefore i use MPS2003 because it runs alot smoother despite the X,Y rapid move. I don’t think there is a speed adjustment on MPS2003 software but there is a setting for step,Acel adjustment but it does not allow you to adjust individually only as whole, and I’v Tried many different settings with no luck. The board Z, A is only populate for Z axis, this box doesn’t have A axis populated. therefore i cant swap around.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dear Paul,
    I am in the process of setting up (reviving) a very similar rig but have not got the Mach3 configured and cannot find the original MPS2000 software. I have written (emailed) Kurt Daley at MicroProto and am hopeful of a reply. Have just converted my controller box to 230V - I'm in the UK - and all seems well as far as sparks and smoke is concerned - except for the fan (a new one is in the post). I just had to re-jumper (with a soldering iron) the transformers and put a resistor in the power light.
    If you could send me your set up and I would dearly like a copy of the MPS2000 I can let you know if I have the same trouble. My Controller box has the second parallel port and can drive the 4th axis (rotating chuck) if need be.
    Kind regards, Andrew.

Downloads
    Uploads

Trying again as previous post would not submit!
    Andrew ... I may be able to help out with a step and direction board for your box ...
    We hook the fan to the centre tap on the trannsformer by the way

Lester Caine - G8HFL
    http://medw.co.uk - Home of electronics for the Model Engineer