Taig Micro milling problems

Thread: Taig Micro milling problems

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Taig Micro milling problems

Hi guys i am new to this forum. Anyhow i have a problem i just bought a used taig Micro mill with the 2000DS/LS controller and servos installed. I installed Mach 3 and conntected the printer port to controller and configured my step/dir pinouts to manufacturs specs and i am not getting in movement nothing at all. my pc is a Windows 7 (32bit) with Mach 3 demo installed. Now the other day one of the servos (X axis) was getting extremely hot, this was not normal so i quickly powered off. I heard i need a USB to Parallel port
    Interface for newer Windows? Is this correct? Pleas help, thanks and bles you for your help guys

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Taig Micro milling problems

Does your existing computer have a parallel port? If so, does it come up in BIOS as EPP? Do your motors lock up when you power the system on?

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi awerby thanks kindly for your reply. The tiag mill came with an old PC with Windows 95 and a old 3.5 Disk with MPS2000 ver 2.2, but sadly both are corrupted. I dont undersrand you say Bios as EPP?? Yes the motors lockup when computer powers on. Where can i get a copy of MPS2000 v 2.2?

Downloads
    Uploads

MPS 2000 was the original Taig software. It ran under MS-DOS. It has nothing to do with the new DSLS system I thought you were asking about, which runs with Mach3 in Windows. I didn't think anyone wants to deal with DOS any more, but if you do, you can probably get another copy of MPS 2000 from Taig. You'd need an ancient computer to run it - '95 was the last version of Windows that supported a live (as opposed to emulated) DOS that can control a machine.

If you go into BIOS. you should be able to check what mode your parallel (LPT) port can support. EPP (extended parallel port) mode is the one Mach3 prefers, but I'm not sure about MPS 2000.

What I'd suggest you do instead is upgrade to a modern controller, which will run a step-direction program like Mach3. Taig might be able to upgrade your existing box, but if not you can either get another one from them, or build your own. I'd suggest the Gecko G540 as a basis if you go the latter route.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for reply. I have two box controllers one is a 2000 and other 3000 (4 axis). So what your saying is i should change to more modern controller? I want to connect the 3000 box to PC with Mach 3 software is this not possible? Please elaborate.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you've got a Taig 3000 DSLS controller, that's the one to use. Do the motors have encoders on the backs? The DSLS controller was made to control encoder-equipped steppers in a semi closed-loop mode. You'll need a computer that either has a working EPP parallel port and a 32-bit version of Windows or a converter of some kind, like the UC100 or Smoothstepper, to avoid having to use a parallel port. With that, and the correct XML file, you should be able to run the Mach3 demo. Once it's up and running, you can buy the program and install the license, so it won't quit after 500 lines of code.

Downloads
    Uploads

How do i verify if the steppers have encoders. And yes i have Windows XP 32-bit with EPP enabled. I also have An old PC i wanted to test it using MPS2000 v2.2 and see if i get any reaults that way, but i cannot find that software anywhere i tried calling up the manufacturers but they never pickup the phone or return calls and emails.

Downloads
    Uploads

I believe i have the Nema23 stepper motors with knobs, is this ok for 3000 controller?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Paul714 View Post
    I believe i have the Nema23 stepper motors with knobs, is this ok for 3000 controller?
    If you have knobs on your motors, you won't have encoders so that is a stepper system. Make sure your printer port is addressed to 0378... and I would think...that since it is a stepper machine you wil need to use the 2000 controller. I am not sure about that. As Awerby said, make sure you have the correct .XML file.

Downloads
    Uploads

You should give Taig a call to sort out what you've got - it doesn't sound like the controllers are matched to the motors, but that could be due to miscommunication. They should be able to tell you which one to use, and what XML file would work best.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    You should give Taig a call to sort out what you've got - it doesn't sound like the controllers are matched to the motors, but that could be due to miscommunication. They should be able to tell you which one to use, and what XML file would work best.
    Best Idea Yet!
    EDIT.... If you know who the original owner was they might be able to look the order up. That way they will know exactly what was sold and it would be easier for them to help. We keep that info for all of our customers and I would expect they do as well. ...just a thought.

Downloads
    Uploads

This may help you ID your system setup...
    Look at the MicroProto site..
    This is Taig's CNC division!
    You can find photo's of their 2000-stepper and 3000 hybrid stepper/servo setups
    MicroProto Systems

hth,
    Stuart

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok guys i got it working my 2000 driver box and stepper motors with the knobs i believe they are open loop nema23. Now everything seems to work but now another issue, the Y axis stepper is getting very hot quickly. The X and Z are ok, now what can be causing the stepper to get so hot like this?? I quickly power down the driver boxtp not damage the stepper. Anyone have ideas what causes this? Thanks guys

Downloads
    Uploads

This has been repaired. It was a faulty MOSFET power transistors, in which caused the extreme heating. I also did research and configured Mach3 properly and now it works! Quick and fast repairing .thanks for all your feedback guys

Downloads
    Uploads

I bought a Taig four axis system new from a dealer in USA some years ago and it is all Taig gear and properly matched and I think it is the same as the one Paul has. The steppers have no feedback so if they do miss a step or stall there is no indication to the software and it just carries on. The steppers have a manual knob on top that allows you to turn the screws and move the mill in any direction. They have DIN plugs that plug straight into the controller and a DB25 plug connects the controller to the computer which ran the MPS2000 program. It sounds as though Paul's set up is all standard kit - as his description matches mine. Any help in getting my kit up and running would be appreciated - I have lost the MPS2000 program and am not sure how to configure the Mach3.