Z-axis and backlash.

Thread: Z-axis and backlash.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Z-axis and backlash.

I can remember that I once read a post where somebody wrote that the only thing we need to do in order to remove backlash from the z-axis was to have it loose and let the gravity do the rest. Is that right? I think it will be good enough for engraving with tiny bits in wood and other soft material, but maybe not in harder materials.

Does anybody here have any experiences regarding this?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Z-axis and backlash.

Even a small cutter can move the head against any play in the z-axis. Obviously if the cutter is pulling down into the work it should be less of a problem, although it can move the head down the dovetail if not properly tightened. Where the cutter is pushing into the work, then it does lift the head and even engraving cutters bounce up if they hit a hard spot, so yes the backlash on the z-axis is something that needs monitoring along with the other axis. Just relying on the weight of the head and motor does not compensate for holding the head down properly.

Lester Caine - G8HFL
    http://medw.co.uk - Home of electronics for the Model Engineer

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Z-axis and backlash.

We cut a lot of different materials with all sizes of ball end and end mills. We slow the plunge speed or ramp into the material, depending on what the circumstances are. We have "0" problems with Z backlash.

Z-axis and backlash.-checkers2-jpgZ-axis and backlash.-logo_1-jpg