Anti-backlash for Taig mill?

Thread: Anti-backlash for Taig mill?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anti-backlash for Taig mill?

What do I need to do in order to make my Taig mill free for backlash? Will this be an easy operation or a really headache? And where can I get the parts cheapest on web?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anti-backlash for Taig mill?

The Taig already has an adjustable split nut. It won't eliminate backlash completley, but you can get it pretty low. I had mine around .002" in all axis but I'm sure you could do better with some patience. In order to eliminate it completely you'll need a preloaded double nut system, which will cause a lot of friction on a square thread. You may be better off finding a high quality ballscrew and retrofitting that.

Downloads
    Uploads

I`ve seen on some youtube videos that it is possible to make anti-backlash nuts of plastic cutting boards. Do you have any experience with that? And is it possible to get a nut tap in order to do that?

Downloads
    Uploads

I have not. If I were going thru the trouble of fabricating parts I'd find a ballscrew to use.

Downloads
    Uploads

Taig will retrofit your mill with zero-backlash ball screws if you send it in to them. It costs $1400. This is what it says on their site:

"Upgrade your leadscrew mill with Ball screws on each axis. We will send you a brand new XY stage with ball screws and a new Z-axis Main Body with a Ball screw. You use your existing Z-axis column and steel plates. You keep your headstock, motor and stepper motor couplers."

This would work much better than home-made plastic nuts.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

$1400.- is a lot of money and it will probably cost me hundred of bucks more in shipping cost since I live in Norway. Would it be possible to buy only the leadscrews with ball nuts instead and mount it at home?

Downloads
    Uploads

I suppose you could do that if you have a large CNC mill to modify the existing Taig mill so the parts would fit. But the ball screws and nuts need more clearance than exists in the stock Taig mills. Probably the best path for you would be to order the modified parts and ball screws, which would all fit in one large box, and have that shipped to you. It would still cost $1400, but you wouldn't need to pay for as much shipping that way. Some assembly would be required, but you could reuse the motors, headstock, couplers, box ways and motor mounts from the mill you've got.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

What about only change the settings in in Mach3 in order to compensate for the backlash? Will that be a reasonable option?

Downloads
    Uploads

Mach3 will compensate for backlash, but you'll still get lines in your surface finish every time you change direction as the tool dwells while mach3 jogs the machine to compensate.

Jaru-eri - I recommend checking your bearing preload on the X and Y axis as this is the most common source of backlash in my experience. John at Taig has a very good video on how to adjust these and it is very simple. Also he talks about adjusting the backlash on the nut. See video here:

If you want to upgrade to ball screw you can do so without the upgrade process by just buying the X-Y base with ball screws. You probably do not need to go ball screw in the Z as there is very little advantage due to the backlash being taken up by the weight of the motor and spindle assembly pushing down. The part number is 5019CR-XY for $1025 and I offer it here https://desktoplathes.com/5019CR-XY or any dealer that offers international shipment can accommodate as Taig does not ship international. Take care! -Keith