Used Taig CNC okay price at $800?

Thread: Used Taig CNC okay price at $800?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Used Taig CNC okay price at $800?

Hi, Gang,

I have been looking for an affordable way to get started with the CNC process. I understand it from a comfortable 10-foot distance, but I have never used a mill. My budget is minimal. I will not use the machine for commercial work. I have the space for a big ol' VMC, but not the AC power. I would love an expensive, awesome mill with a big work area, but it will have to come after this one (the first). I am a veteran PC tech and electronics guy, so I can handle the power supplies, wiring, motion controllers, serial ports, etc. The software (3D, CAD-CAM, G-Code, etc) is substantially similar for most machines, and this seems to be where the real "learning curve" takes place.

QUESTION:

I may have an opportunity to buy an essentially unused Taig CNC mill that was new in 2009/2010. It comes with a PC (which I don't need), and I think it comes with Mach 3, which I probably do need) and a bunch of end mills, an extra set of Taig-supplied steppers (intended for an identical mill but never used). The old-timer who bought the mills new used one with traditional mechanical controls (which he was familiar with), but never really used the one that came from Taig set up for CNC. That's the one he's selling (cuz he never really used it and he's now in his '80s, he says it ain't gonna happen).

He's had the stuff for sale months at $1250, with no takers. I offered him $850 a while back, and he's indicated that he might take me up on my offer.

I'm wondering if that's a good deal?

Thanks, as always,

--sohosources

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Used Taig CNC okay price at $800?

If it takes ER 16 collets and comes with the Taig-supplied control box, and not one of the cheap 3rd party controllers (xylotex, etc) that some people put on it, then it's a good deal. If it uses the older style of proprietary collets: http://www.cartertools.com/1040.jpg then not so much...

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

New info: Machine is essentially "NOS," but purchase date was 2005.

The collets look like the referenced pic of the older, proprietary ones.

The control box is from Taig.

The spare steppers are made by Fuad?

Thanks,

--sohosources

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    If it takes ER 16 collets and comes with the Taig-supplied control box, and not one of the cheap 3rd party controllers (xylotex, etc) that some people put on it, then it's a good deal. If it uses the older style of proprietary collets: http://www.cartertools.com/1040.jpg then not so much...

Downloads
    Uploads

If it was from 2005, it might be on the old "wave drive" system and need factory modification to handle the step-direction signals from Mach3. They changed over sometime around then. You might check with the Taig factory to figure out if this one was made before or after, and what it would cost to modify it if it needs it. I've never heard of "Fuad" motors - are you sure they're not "Fubar"?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry...

Under magnification, the steppers seem to be made by "Fluid" and not Fuad

The controller box looks completely generic, but is painted the same blue as the unit, so I expect it's from Taig.

The spindle motor is a Franklin, 1/4-hp, 3250 max RPM, Model 191xxxxxxx (can't quite make out all the digits).

Thanks,

--sohosources

Downloads
    Uploads

I can't help on the motors, but I don't recall Taig painting their boxes blue; they've always been black. Look inside and see if it has a Xylotex board in it - Ebay dealers sold a lot of those turkeys back then. But it's got the good spindle motor. What's the bed length? If it's 18.4", it's a 2019 model, if it's 15.5" it's a 2018.

If this is all you can afford, it's better than nothing, or some piece of junk from China. But you'd end up with a better machine if you bought the new 5019 ER CR (CNC-ready) model, with the ER spindle and ball screws, and put your own control system on it. It lists for $1850; I can do better. Since you're handy with electronics, though, you can easily put together a controller - I'd suggest the Geckodrives G-540 to start with, and some low-inductance motors. This would get you a system that would give you accurate parts, instead of high blood pressure.

Andrew Werby
    computersculpture.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If I had your budget, I would buy this, or something very similar: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MG0NL5F/

Compared to what I have, I'd hate to give up the profile rail for straight shaft, and the spindle power is somewhat lower (part of it being that the rating is more honest!). But the seller looks decent, so you'll have some support, and it's the same system that much better machines use.

If you have electronics experience, especially, then my advice is: buy Chinese until you know enough to know what it is you really need out of the mills or routers that cost $$$. You may end up fixing some stuff on it yourself, but that also suits your intent to learn.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, the Chinese "6040" and "3040" models are what I have been sort of expecting to start with. My "minimum actual use" for the device as I learn the software, etc, is to mill small printed circuit boards and cut out semi-circular shapes (and drill indexed holes) in mild-mannered sheet aluminum, both of which can probably be handled by the generic Chinese models.

If I had someone locally who could help me with the mechanicals I'd strongly consider CNCing an X2/X3 type mill, which is a lot beefier than the Taig but not in the VMC weight and AC power class. Lotta those big buggers selling cheap in these parts, but that's just a bridge too far for a raw recruit such as myself

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, right now, after 2 months, I finally have all the setup and electronics / software issues sorted, but I could really use one of those old-timers to advise me on tooling, work-holding and feeds & speeds.