Making CNC Taig

Thread: Making CNC Taig

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Making CNC Taig

I have a Taig ER16 Headstock along with a Sherline VS motor from an old cnc mill I built and I plan to use them to build a hobby lathe.

I’m at the layout face and looking at this thread
    Taig Micro Lathe CNC Conversion

I notice he is doing a similar job and incorporates threading but this guy is way ahead of my capabilities.

If I want to include later on threading on my new lathe, is there something I must do now to make allowances for future threading?

I will use Mach3, ball screws, slide rails and stepper motors and I know steppers are not ideal for threading but for a hobby use I understand steppers are ok.

Similar Threads:
    Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Making CNC Taig

You might be interested in this collaborative project that was developed a while ago: Electronic Lead Screw Main Page The Electronic Lead Screw isn't quite the same as full CNC, but it gives you the ability to cut all sorts of threads. I haven't tried it myself, but if you do, could you please write back to this thread and tell us how it worked out for you?

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Making CNC Taig

Thank you awerby for the info

As I mentioned I’m at the layout face of my new lathe and it would be another 6+ months before I start the electronics.

Since I have built before a cnc mill I’m familiar with the controls like G540, stepper motors etc. However I don’t know anything about this ELS although it sounds interesting. When the time comes I will investigate further and let you know

Nicolas