New guy - How to best update "vintage" desktop mill?

Thread: New guy - How to best update "vintage" desktop mill?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New guy - How to best update "vintage" desktop mill?

Hello,

I've been poking around in the metalworking hobby for a few years now and a month or so ago I found myself the owner of a Taig CNC Micro Mill. The mill came with a hilariously old laptop running SuperCam in the DOS/Win98 environment. All of this software and hardware dates from 1999/2000 and while it does work, it does so very slowly (and somewhat unpredictably).
    I can't help but think that nearly 15 years of development since it's release must have improved things. How can I cost effectively update?

So here's the info for my machine:
    Taig Micro Mill
    3x NEMA 23 (maybe 17?) stepper motors (unknown torque - whatever came stock in '99)
    MicroProto Controller/Driver using direct phase control of steppers NOT step & direction.
    SuperCam circa 1999

Can I use any of the above in the update process? The mill is still good, and I already have newer software to design and generate code, but working with the MicroProto Direct Phase controller and SuperCam is proving frustrating - what are my options from a hardware /machine control software standpoint?

Since I'm very new at this, I only make fairly simple little things for the shop - small one-time tools etc, but will eventually get into building assemblies (small robots and mechanical curiosities) This is all purely hobby interest, so my budget is fairly modest, and as such I'm prepared to deal with some of the compromises that go along with that. Any guidance to a more modern setup would be fantastic.

Thanks for your time. I'm sure I've left something out, so feel free to call it out and I'll see if I have the answer.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

The cheapest option is probably to send your controller back to Taig for retrofitting to step/direction. I'm not sure what they charge for that, but they're usually pretty reasonable.

The motors are NEMA-23; they never used the smaller NEMA 17 motors, which wouldn't have worked too well anyway.

I'd suggest changing the computer to an Windows desktop with a parallel port, and getting Mach3 to run it. You can get that from Taig or directly from Machsupport.com .

If you like SuperCAM, they're still around, (Super Tech & Associates Main Web Home Page )and would doubtless upgrade you for a price. If not, look at other CAM programs like VisualMill or DeskProto (which has a great price for hobbyists), and see which one fits your needs.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply Andrew.

Last night, I noticed that MicroProto makes an adapter board for the Phase control systems that will update to Step/Direction. That board costs $100 and is a simple DIY installation which I'm fully capable of.
    That would make my system fully compatible with Mach 3 and the other modern CAM packages.

However, I've been reading up on the Gecko G540 and it seems like a very solid controller. Can I "simply" install the G540 into my existing MicroProto box/power supply and use my existing steppers? Obviously the process is more involved than that - please let me know if I've missed a huge "gotcha!".

I understand it's not plug and play, but that's never stopped me before. It just seems that for an extra $150 - $200, I can take a HUGE leap forward and also gain an extra axis for future enhancements.

For the computer, I have a very capable PC desktop that I'm currently demo-ing CamBam and ViaCad with. It works just fine for those needs - and with a new parallel port added, it should run Mach 3 or any of the other control software programs.

SuperCam works, and Dennis has been very helpful in getting me up and running. I may give his new version a day in court, but I'm not limiting my choices.

Thanks again for the input - hope you don't mind the new round of questions.

Chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cbickell View Post
    Thanks for the reply Andrew.

Last night, I noticed that MicroProto makes an adapter board for the Phase control systems that will update to Step/Direction. That board costs $100 and is a simple DIY installation which I'm fully capable of.
    That would make my system fully compatible with Mach 3 and the other modern CAM packages.

However, I've been reading up on the Gecko G540 and it seems like a very solid controller. Can I "simply" install the G540 into my existing MicroProto box/power supply and use my existing steppers? Obviously the process is more involved than that - please let me know if I've missed a huge "gotcha!".

I understand it's not plug and play, but that's never stopped me before. It just seems that for an extra $150 - $200, I can take a HUGE leap forward and also gain an extra axis for future enhancements.

For the computer, I have a very capable PC desktop that I'm currently demo-ing CamBam and ViaCad with. It works just fine for those needs - and with a new parallel port added, it should run Mach 3 or any of the other control software programs.

SuperCam works, and Dennis has been very helpful in getting me up and running. I may give his new version a day in court, but I'm not limiting my choices.

Thanks again for the input - hope you don't mind the new round of questions.

Chris
    The g540 is an excellent match for a taig. If you find the power supply in your existing controller to be unsuitable, you're still only looking at ~$50 for a 50v power supply. Its pretty straight forward to set up-- not quite plug-n-play, but also not too far off.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rlockwood View Post
    The g540 is an excellent match for a taig. If you find the power supply in your existing controller to be unsuitable, you're still only looking at ~$50 for a 50v power supply. Its pretty straight forward to set up-- not quite plug-n-play, but also not too far off.
    Thanks - that's about what I figured, but it's nice to hear I'm not completely nuts. Have stepper motors undergone any major changes since the late 90's? Seems to me that within reason, a pulse is a pulse as far as the motor is concerned, right?
    It looks like the G540 uses different connectors than my MicroProto, so maybe that will require some homework.

Only having $700 into this, it seems I could be fairly modern for a little over $1k. Not a steal by any means, but it's not too bad a start.

Downloads
    Uploads

There are a lot of threads that discuss motors that are well matched to the G540 and that work well with a Taig mill. Bigger is not always better here. Jeff Birt has demonstrated some insane speeds on a Taig using 160 oz/in motors.

One option is to get the G540 setup and use it with your existing motors and be open to getting replacement motors if you aren't happy with the performance. Make sure you read up a bit on matching motors to the drive. You have to look at things like inductance and motor current.

bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bob - I've seen the Jeff Birt videos and they are truly astonishing. ZOMGVTEC's are inspiring as well.
    It's good to know the machine has such a large performance envelope, but I'll save aspiring to breakneck speed for later. Right now, I'm still figuring out the basics. Proper design and toolpaths are enough to keep me occupied for some time.

As you recommend, I'll stick with what I've got and learn. When I'm ready, I'll put the spurs to it. Lots to learn before that happens....

Thanks for the advice!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cbickell View Post
    Bob - I've seen the Jeff Birt videos and they are truly astonishing. ZOMGVTEC's are inspiring as well.
    It's good to know the machine has such a large performance envelope, but I'll save aspiring to breakneck speed for later. Right now, I'm still figuring out the basics. Proper design and toolpaths are enough to keep me occupied for some time.

As you recommend, I'll stick with what I've got and learn. When I'm ready, I'll put the spurs to it. Lots to learn before that happens....

Thanks for the advice!
    I was reading your thread. It seems like I am in a similar situation here. Recently bought a 12 years old TAIG CNC. The guy was using Mach2 and a very old PC. Tried a few different things with Mach3 on a new PC, nothing worked so I ended up plugging my CNC back on the old PC. When using Mach2, the motors jog around no problem, but when switching to Mach3, nothing happens.

I was wondering what did you end up doing to fix your issue?

Also, tried to find those videos you were mentioning in your last post, without success.

Thanks