Aluminium Machine Bed

Thread: Aluminium Machine Bed

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Aluminium Machine Bed

Hi

I'm building another CNC machine and want to put an aluminium bed on it using something like 15180 extrusion. However, I cannot find a supplier anywhere in Australia and have tried to organise it through some Chinese suppliers but there are so many dodgy operations over there, I'm not confident in outlaying substantial dollars if I'm likely to get caught out.

Does anyone have any ideas about RELIABLE suppliers of machine bed extrusion?

Cheers

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Aluminium Machine Bed

What about starting with a solid piece of aluminum plate and cutting your own T-slots in it? That would be better than a series of pieces of aluminum extrusion lying next to each other.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    What about starting with a solid piece of aluminum plate and cutting your own T-slots in it? That would be better than a series of pieces of aluminum extrusion lying next to each other.
    Solid plate is too expensive here and I've been caught out before with plate that is not completely flat. Cutting the T slots would be problematic too.

Downloads
    Uploads

What is the use case Geoff?

I made up a T slot bed out of multiple extrusions in the past. Ended up being a pain because you don't want to cut straight onto it....

Now I just use sacrificial MDF and much easier.

MDF with T track in it?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    What is the use case Geoff?

I made up a T slot bed out of multiple extrusions in the past. Ended up being a pain because you don't want to cut straight onto it....

Now I just use sacrificial MDF and much easier.

MDF with T track in it?
    This is the fourth CNC machine I've built. I want the T slot bed to make it easier to fix various jigs, including vacuum pucks, rotary axis, etc. The jigs incorporate their own spoilboards, so no danger of damaging the bed. I've been using mdf spoilboards for years, but, for this machine I want the t slot bed as the mdf bed is a pain with the jigs I use.

Since posting this thread I have found a Chinese supplier who is said to be reliable and reasonably priced. Despite the slow shipping It may be worth the risk. Something to think about.

- - - Updated - - -

MISUMI SHIPS TO AUSTRALIA , CLICK PICTURE ABOVE

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Zvonkorp View Post

- - - Updated - - -

MISUMI SHIPS TO AUSTRALIA , CLICK PICTURE ABOVE
    Hi Zvonkorp

Yes I had a look at Mizumi but their shipping costs place them well outside the ballpark.

I have found a supplier from China and have placed an order. Just have to play the waiting game now to see how it turns out.

Thanks everyone for your ideas.

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

Who did you go with?
    I was looking at Ali extrusion a while ago and was overwelmed by the options and emails from suppliers.......

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Sterob View Post
    Who did you go with?
    I was looking at Ali extrusion a while ago and was overwelmed by the options and emails from suppliers.......
    I used Aliexpress and purchased from a store called "Dreamer Hunting Store".

It may be that I'm dreaming and the deal could be a flop but it remains to be seen. I didn't just accept the price and shipping cost as per their listing but contacted them and negotiated a deal. If the deal is successful I'll let everyone know as they hava a lot of gear in that store. I'll also let you lknow if it fails.

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

I have found most Aliex sellers don't come down much unless you can bulk up your order, their freight is usually on the edge. Its too bad sellers don't have a logistics agent here for heavy stuff like bed plates.

I have a design for 20x150mm(5mm thick) extrusion that I intended to make from 6061, but au has a big tariff from cn on aluminum extrusions. I could have got them made into a table kit with frame & fasteners.
    Talking to some local mills they would not make my design from 6061 as they could not guarantee the dimensional finish in the T-slots.
    Looking at 6106 alloy, its better than 6063 which most bed plates are made from. Startup costs are a lot higher from local suppliers.
    The bedplate is intended for small to medium sized machine, but it really depends how much frame support is under the plates & intended use as to the table size

Downloads
    Uploads

I've just bought a T Slot cast iron bed out of China into NZ. Cost $2500 for a 800 x 1200 x 100mm 650kg bed at 0.1mm flat certification. It has not arrived yet so can't report whether or how much I will need to shim under my vices.

I've also got a T Slot alloy supplier on my books we are a medical equipment manufacturer.

Let me know if you want the contacts.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Sims View Post
    I used Aliexpress and purchased from a store called "Dreamer Hunting Store".

It may be that I'm dreaming and the deal could be a flop but it remains to be seen. I didn't just accept the price and shipping cost as per their listing but contacted them and negotiated a deal. If the deal is successful I'll let everyone know as they hava a lot of gear in that store. I'll also let you lknow if it fails.

Cheers
    A lot of gear in the store is not always a good sign as they are just a seller of anything, it is best to buy from just an extrusion supplier

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by boydage View Post
    I've just bought a T Slot cast iron bed out of China into NZ. Cost $2500 for a 800 x 1200 x 100mm 650kg bed at 0.1mm flat certification. It has not arrived yet so can't report whether or how much I will need to shim under my vices.

I've also got a T Slot alloy supplier on my books we are a medical equipment manufacturer.

Let me know if you want the contacts.

Why would you even consider having to shim under a vice, you would shim the whole table off of what ever you are going to mount it on, or scrap the under side where it is being mounted, the quality is normally quite good depending on the manufacture I have had some from India and China and all have been very good I'm also waiting for one that is 1m by 2m from China

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

How about these guys;

https://www.isel-us.com/aluminum-ext...le-plate/pt-50

Extruded then machined flat both sides.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mactech has yours shipped yet?

Downloads
    Uploads

If not your in NZ correct? We could share the LCL.

Downloads
    Uploads

If not your in NZ correct? We could share the LCL.

I'm a Kiwi but live in the USA ( 30 years ) other wise yes that would of been possible, but I try and do a container load when ever I do any large shipments although they do crate them very well some use a steel pallet for the base as it is better and cheaper than wood

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Currently there are so many people coming back to NZ we are filling up the country.

Hey so FYI the table I bought cost US$1500 a lot cheaper than the others but this factory make a lot of them. Hebei Yuanpeng Tool Co. Have hijacked this post but all the same interesting

Downloads
    Uploads

Currently there are so many people coming back to NZ we are filling up the country.

Hey so FYI the table I bought cost US$1500 a lot cheaper than the others but this factory make a lot of them. Hebei Yuanpeng Tool Co. Have hijacked this post but all the same interesting

5 million and counting still have plenty of sheep though

Mactec54