How do you true the surface you bold linear guides to ?

Thread: How do you true the surface you bold linear guides to ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How do you true the surface you bold linear guides to ?

I need to build a large CNC router. I need a working area of 6 x 16 feet. I can buy 25 or 30mm linear guides in lengths up to 2 meters.

I plan to use a welded table for my router.

Question: how do I true up the surface that I bolt the linear guides to ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How do you true the surface you bold linear guides to ?

This is a problem lots of large builds have to deal with. One solution is to make some dams on top of the horizontal members, and fill them with self-leveling epoxy. If you do it right, you end up with two co-planar surfaces that are flat and level, through which you can bolt your rails. Here's a thread from someone who tried it - he struggled, but maybe you can learn from his mistakes: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-w...gineering.html

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    a very clever yet conceptually simple tool is the auto-collimator.

Essentially it looks like a short telescope that you lay down flat on one end of the surface you are trying to measure and then there is a mirror on a small bed mount that slides along the surface.
    Observing the pattern in the eyepeice of the auto-collimator is an illuminated line that goes up or down as the angle of the mirror departs from vertical. It is possible to calculate and generate a plot
    of the surface accurate to within um. For instance an auto-collimator is used to measure and characterise granite surface plates, such is their accuracy and versatility.

Regrettably auto-collimators are not cheap even second hand. Hilger Watts is a very good English brand which despite their antique look still do the business exceptionally well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hilger-Watt...wAAOSwyytdQeiZ

Such a device would allow you to plot the bed onto which yo want to put your rails, it does not automatically machine them also!!!

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting thread, Awerby.

If I read that thread correctly, he hand scraped the Y axis rails to get them flat. He checked them with a machinist's level. Which essentially does the same thing as an auto collimator.

Thanks, Craig.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

Which essentially does the same thing as an auto collimator.
    An autocollimator is at least one, maybe two orders of magnitude more accurate.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNCAddict99 View Post
    I need to build a large CNC router. I need a working area of 6 x 16 feet. I can buy 25 or 30mm linear guides in lengths up to 2 meters.

I plan to use a welded table for my router.

Question: how do I true up the surface that I bolt the linear guides to ?
    You can have it machined as a complete frame or just have the rail mounting frame members machined and have them as a bolt to the main Frame where the rail mounts are mounted they would have to be machined as well or carefully fabricated to be true to the mounting surface

Mactec54