1100 watt BLDC spindle controller alternative?

Thread: 1100 watt BLDC spindle controller alternative?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 1100 watt BLDC spindle controller alternative?

I just picked up a Novakon 135(same as early syil x3/x4/sieg kx3 etc) that was sold as used/broken. It has no stepper drivers or breakout board but did include a 3500 rpm(was hoping it was a 6k model) brushless motor and controller. The controller looks ok but there is a 50v 470uf cap that's bulged and discharging some crud so it's blown. Not sure if it still worked but I plan to try and replace the cap first, though I'm not counting on it working.

I do not have a wiring schematic and haven't really looked at how it was wired since I don't have the PC half that had breakout board and stepper drivers/power supply I can't know the voltages on the stock controller beyond looking at the caps. Since it has 1000uf 250v caps on the back I'm guessing it's a 220 ac input? No clue about the rpm single or what else needs voltage and how much. Looks like some is obviously 50v so I'm guessing it had a 48v power supply.

I found this controller that looks like it may work:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4000822156342.html

Sent from my BE2025 using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 1100 watt BLDC spindle controller alternative?

I have seen and fiddled with quite a few models, like this one, but this is yet another I don't have a schematic for.
    A clear closeup of the square motor drive chip woul be helpful.

Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. THREE ways to fix things: The RIGHT way, the OTHER way, and maybe YOUR way, which is possibly a FASTER WRONG WAY!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    I have seen and fiddled with quite a few models, like this one, but this is yet another I don't have a schematic for.
    A clear closeup of the square motor drive chip woul be helpful.
    Cropped it so it would be under the vip limit and still have detail where the chips at.

The motor is fairly large but a major pain to remove. I removed the belt and 4 screws that tension belt/bolt plate to casting and thought it would pop right out but no dice. The casting bulged for the top cover mounting screws are in the way. Looks like I'll need a really long hex or hex socket set with extension.

Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Re: 1100 watt BLDC spindle controller alternative?

The ST micro is a customized micro, and you will get little or no product support or useful data, I suspect.
    With/without hall sensor might be ok. Consider if your mains voltage is not above ac voltage rating. eg. 220vAC is likely to have early failures in Australia , on 240vAC.
    Internal 300vDC supply rail can be exceeded easily, and some components will have marginal ratings if exceeded. 340VDC on 240vAC. (DC = ac volts x sqrt(2))
    I suggest looking for Leadshine controller. Known functional device that will work.
    The aliexpress link has no data sheet.
    If you have the technical electronic skills, this unit should work for you.
    Find something readable with good specification data.
    Just google Leadshine, and go from there.

Last edited by neilw20; 07-10-2021 at 11:11 PM.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. THREE ways to fix things: The RIGHT way, the OTHER way, and maybe YOUR way, which is possibly a FASTER WRONG WAY!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    The ST micro is a customized micro, and you will get little or no product support or useful data, I suspect.
    With/without hall sensor might be ok. Consider if your mains voltage is not above ac voltage rating. eg. 220vAC is likely to have early failures in Australia , on 240vAC.
    Internal 300vDC supply rail can be exceeded easily, and some components will have marginal ratings if exceeded. 340VDC on 240vAC. (DC = ac volts x sqrt(2))
    I suggest looking for Leadshine controller. Known functional device that will work.
    The aliexpress link has no data sheet.
    If you have the technical electronic skills, this unit should work for you.
    Find something readable with good specification data.
    Just google Leadshine, and go from there.
    I'm in the US. Found a manual for very similar controller that shows mine is likely jumpered to run 110v vs no jumper is 220. Not sure if that means the motor is still seeing 220 but it seems unlikely. Also seems like it would be hard on the controller, not reach rated rpm and have less power. Unless it's able to transform it to 220 somehow but I don't see anything heavy duty enough.

I found leadshines 1kw unit but can't find the 1.5 on ebay or AliExpress. Looks like it's $300 for the 1kw unit. Honestly if I'm gonna spend 300 I might as well spend a little more on AC motor with a VFD.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hax0red View Post
    I'm in the US. Found a manual for very similar controller that shows mine is likely jumpered to run 110v vs no jumper is 220. Not sure if that means the motor is still seeing 220 but it seems unlikely. Also seems like it would be hard on the controller, not reach rated rpm and have less power. Unless it's able to transform it to 220 somehow but I don't see anything heavy duty enough.

I found leadshines 1kw unit but can't find the 1.5 on ebay or AliExpress. Looks like it's $300 for the 1kw unit. Honestly if I'm gonna spend 300 I might as well spend a little more on AC motor with a VFD.

If you use an AC motor you will lose a lot of low speed torque. When jumper is in for for 110vac it works as a voltage doubler, so you still get 300vDC rail, so max speed is controlled by maximum voltage. With the 2:1 pulley stepup you should get maybe 3350rpm. Quite useful.