Syil X4 with blown spindle controller - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Syil X4 with blown spindle controller

Default Re: Syil X4 with blown spindle controller

Jeff,

That is interesting info. Thank you. I wonder if I can actually order 1 set or if the shipping would be prohibitive.

I notice that the unit you posted is 220V. My machine is currently a 110V machine, but I'd really like it to be 220V anyhow. I don't know how/what is the determinant factor in this. Would I have to "upgrade" all the other electronics in the machine to 220v versions to make this work? Or is there just a power supply that turns the 220V input into the necessary voltages for the other components, like a PC computer does?

Also, my motor works. All I'd really need would be the controller w/keyboard and lcd. Would there be a way to buy those components separately? Or are they always sold as a unit?

Thanks again guys, this has been a great help!

CE

Downloads
    Uploads

CE,

The power requirement for the BLDC drive would be independant of all other parts in your machine.

The BLDC drive should be available individually. Take several good images and send them to the vendor, they may have the exact or compatible drive.

Have a most awesome day!

Jeff...

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Downloads
    Uploads

using the third photo from post 19

I suspect they have used inexpensive 200V capacitors very like what you find used in ATX computer power supplies
    Syil X4 with blown spindle controller-main-electrolytic-capasitors-board-jpg
    if the jumper visible in the photo is as I have shown , the DC output will be 2.828 times the RMS mains supply voltage
    ( without the jumper the DC output is 1.4142 the mains supply voltage)

the 100K resistors ensure each pair of capacitors have half the DC voltage across them and
    provides a discharge path so they do not hold a hazardous voltage for too long after you switch off the mains supply

John

Quote Originally Posted by john-100 View Post
    using the third photo from post 19

I suspect they have used inexpensive 200V capacitors very like what you find used in ATX computer power supplies
    Syil X4 with blown spindle controller-main-electrolytic-capasitors-board-jpg
    if the jumper visible in the photo is as I have shown , the DC output will be 2.828 times the RMS mains supply voltage
    ( without the jumper the DC output is 1.4142 the mains supply voltage)

the 100K resistors ensure each pair of capacitors have half the DC voltage across them and
    provides a discharge path so they do not hold a hazardous voltage for too long after you switch off the mains supply

John
    John, the path on the board looks exactly as you have presented it.

So I found another problem and I wonder if it could have caused the problem with the blown thermisters on the spindle control board.

I found a loose connection at the monster relay in the center of the cabinet. It has some arcing marks on it too. One more thing to fix.

BTW, what does that big ol' relay do? What does it supply?

CE

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Syil X4 with blown spindle controller-img_20180326_182705054-jpg   Syil X4 with blown spindle controller-img_20180326_182655917-jpg   Syil X4 with blown spindle controller-img_20180326_182719216-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you referring to the power transformer?

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Are you referring to the power transformer?
    I don't know. Is that the power supply for the unit? I had always thought the power supply would look like the one in a PC or something. If it is, that would explain why I don't see what looks like a power supply for a PC in there!

Maybe I can get a schematic from Syil. That may come in handy......... Lol.

Some time back I decided the spindle bearings on my X4 Speedmaster sounded bad. I couldn't get anywhere with COA or SA in getting a replacement spindle so I hunted around for a 220V one and a 110 to 220V inverter to replace the original inverter. It was an expensive solution , but it was about the same cost as an OEM Syil spindle which I did not seem to be able to get anyway. I bought the inverter (VFD) from Drives Warehouse and when I struggled to get it setup properly one of their guys called me back long after their local hours and helped walk me through the setup. This machine is still 110V in for everything, but because of the new setup it uses more readily available 220V spindles now.

The biggest problem and the highest drive of the cost was that my X4 Speedmaster was setup for a 62mm spindle instead of a more common 65mm spindle. I did have the advantage of knowing most of the basics of setting up a machine already.

My experience is not the same as yours, but I expect a third party spindle controller may be possible to get to work with your machine.

As a side note: We just had a conversation on the CamBam forums about old caps blowing up on inverters (and other equipment) after a long period of storage. There is supposed to be a procedure to reduce that likelihood if you do it before powering it up, but I don't think I could repeat I accurately.

Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a similar machine, with a different version of the same drive. My machine also requires 110volt, I am gutting it to rebuild using an acorn. I've pictures attached of my board if it helps.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jsnsykes View Post
    I have a similar machine, with a different version of the same drive. My machine also requires 110volt, I am gutting it to rebuild using an acorn. I've pictures attached of my board if it helps.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    So is this control board any good? I just got one from Ebay with motor for $200. Mine has 2008-4-8 and SL-1100-1 (5.1) marked on it, but not the Syil on it. It's new old stock and I'm worried the caps will be ruined on it. But I can replace those, my biggest concern is that it is a POS from all the bad stuff I have read. Trying to get an answer on this forum as to whether or not I should keep this motor and controller. Ebay has agreed with me that this sell was misrepresented since it's electronics and a decade old. So Friday they will send me a label to return it and refund my money. But I can't decide if it is worth keeping or not at 200 bucks or put it towards better setup.

Here are pics on the thread I started. Any input would be greatly appreciated, as I only have a small window to make my decision. https://www.cnczone.com/forums/bench...are-posts.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Forum acting screwy and made a double post after an error...oh well.

Downloads
    Uploads

If it looks exactly like your original, you could plug it in and see if the smoke gets out.
    If the capacitors are dead, you will soon know.
    It might even work, with a bit of luck.
    The thing that kills these boards often, is using the ESTOP switch.
    Using the ESTOP is ok, but then turn off power, and reset ESTOP after 3 minutes, to allow the surge protection device (NTC resistor I think) to cool.
    When it is cold, it has a higher resistance, allowing gentle charging of the capacitors.
    Then it soon warms, and becomes lower resistance, and does not impede operation.
    Intermittent power from mains can cause similar problems, just like the ESTOP switch being reset, while still powered up.

Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. THREE ways to fix things: The RIGHT way, the OTHER way, and maybe YOUR way, which is possibly a FASTER WRONG WAY!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lockbuilder View Post
    Jeff,

That is interesting info. Thank you. I wonder if I can actually order 1 set or if the shipping would be prohibitive.

I notice that the unit you posted is 220V. My machine is currently a 110V machine, but I'd really like it to be 220V anyhow. I don't know how/what is the determinant factor in this. Would I have to "upgrade" all the other electronics in the machine to 220v versions to make this work? Or is there just a power supply that turns the 220V input into the necessary voltages for the other components, like a PC computer does?

Also, my motor works. All I'd really need would be the controller w/keyboard and lcd. Would there be a way to buy those components separately? Or are they always sold as a unit?

Thanks again guys, this has been a great help!

CE
    Hello
    I saw that you had a problem with the spindel controller MBL-1100-300H. On my controller is a electric part blown. Could you please tell me the type of the element marked yellow. I can't read it any more.
    Syil X4 with blown spindle controller-p1s-jpgSyil X4 with blown spindle controller-p0s-jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12