Surfcam Future

Thread: Surfcam Future

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Surfcam Future

Is it still worth it to have and upgrade Surfcam Traditional? Will "nontraditional" Surfcam keep going? What are the alternatives? Share your opinions.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Surfcam Future

Quote Originally Posted by forjaco View Post
    Is it still worth it to have and upgrade Surfcam Traditional? Will "nontraditional" Surfcam keep going? What are the alternatives? Share your opinions.
    For me it is to keep using a version from 2012. It works for everything I do although I curse the interface daily.. If you were to upgrade I'm not sure about support anymore now that all the dealers are gone. If i was starting out today I would go with Mastercam or even Fusion 360 because of the price. Support/training is critical with any new software. .

Downloads
    Uploads

I talked to the surfcam rep at Westec back in Sept 2019 and he (an arrogant ****) said that they have no plans to discontinue support for SurfCam Traditional. I am currently using 2018 version and it does a fairly good job... Worth it or not worth it is difficult to say, I will probably keep paying the support, even though I don't think that its necessarily worth it...

After like 30 years as a user, I'm having a hard time dropping it, kind of like a bad habit, I guess..!

Downloads
    Uploads

I currently have version 2020.0 and asked for the "nontraditional" version. But it seems there have been changes again .. "Since you probably were initially introduced to that we have since moved away from any of that naming convention and just have SURFCAM Traditional and EDGECAM.
    "
    I think customers have been lacking information about where Surfcam has been heading, making it difficult for them to choose. I am also a client for over 20 years and I see the competition evolving and Surfcam regressing ...

Downloads
    Uploads

I originally bought into the Surfcam EVO gambit. The requirement was only that I pay for training. I did and I got it. I became disillusioned with it when I realized that the learning curve and setup was a lot steeper than I thought it would be, but what really killed it was that the yearly software maintenance was about 3x that of traditional SurfCam.

The upgrades to the old surfcam kind of remind me how several motorcycle manufacturers would come up with new model year versions of motorcycles that are being phased out. At the top of the list of improvements it usually says, "Bold New Graphics"...

It is my opinion that Hexagon bought up Vero simply to gain Surfcam's user base so as to claim market share. I think that at some point we will all be left standing out in the cold...