Default Re: What stepper motor should I use thread

I think this is the post of SWEDE'S you are referring to
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/linea...-software.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mokhabarat View Post
    hello

I read through this forum but to be honest my limited knowledge about the subject prevents me from understanding some of the terms listed and how to deal with them.

I built a 3m by 1.8m cnc machine and had it up and running until I decided to upgrade my 700W spindle motor to a 3.5kW one complete with a VFD.

The problem I'm facing is that my carriage now weighs about 14KG (about 31lbs) and my openbuilds NEMA23 motor cant lift the spindle anymore for Z-axis movement. X and Y axes still work fine, both are also using NEMA23s.

The Z axis holds the spindle motor and drops it fine but cannot lift it, i can lower the spindle motor and keep it still but cannot get upward movement, when I try it just tries to spin upwards but ends up slipping downwards.

What I want to know is if I upgrade to a NEMA34, will I be able to fix this? Do I need to upgrade my driver as well for this stepper? I'm using a 24V power supply with 36amps capacity and this driver from amazon couple onto an arduino uno.(Witbot CNC Shield Expansion Board V3.0 +UNO R3 Board for Arduino+ A4988 Stepper Motor Driver With Heatsink Kits for Arduino)
    https://www.amazon.com/Witbot-Expans...bot+cnc+shield

Counter balance springs if on budget.?.

Downloads
    Uploads

I use a number of "tools" on my nema 23 powered Z plate, including a big heavy motor & spindle from a dead mill. I added an air cylinder to assist the Z, i can dial in the air pressure to balance the load. It has been working great for years.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234